Unlimited access >

Adelinde Cornelissen's penalty points for being late in the ring

[QUOTE=dressagetraks;7737125]

I know you can’t “make up the time” in dressage, but to stew on a technical mistake and let it affect other movements past that is purely the rider’s fault, nobody else’s.[/QUOTE]

Remember the 2000 Olympics Gymnastics vault debacle?

Actually, I missed that one. What happened?

[QUOTE=dressagetraks;7737295]
Actually, I missed that one. What happened?[/QUOTE]

http://horsesinternational.com/sport/knhs-raises-protest-penalty-points-adelinde/

[QUOTE=NorCal10;7737219]
Remember the 2000 Olympics Gymnastics vault debacle?[/QUOTE]

We already know about Adelinde… what was the 2000 Olympics Gymnastics debacle to which you referred?

[QUOTE=Zonderpaard;7737023]
If those ‘journalists’ love gossip as much as Astrid, nothing they might speculate would surprise me ;-)[/QUOTE]

But Astrid was right to point out that the journalists’ speculation about Isabell didn’t make sense, as her horse has already risked being tested, since it was on the gold medal team.

They set the vault 5 cm too low and it messed up peoples vaults, Russia mainly. It shook the Russian’s confidence and they didn’t do as well as they could have on other exercises. Svetlana Khorkina finally realized that the vault was wrong and brought it to the officials attention. It was fixed and they were able to redo their vaults but it wasn’t like the could do everything else over so they missed out on gold and got silver.

Totally missed that, thanks for sharing. :slight_smile:

It’s like making a dressage arena 18m wide!

Anyway the point I was trying to make is that they are already incredibly stressed and under an immense amount of pressure and when things go wrong it affects you. Its easy for us to say they should just shake it off and not let it affect them not so easy to actually do it.
I didn’t really like they way she acted in the medal ceremony today though

Anyone remember- a few years ago same thing happened in a top international comp (world cup or olympics) with one of the top riders. You could see from the video that she was late but she was not penalized. Sorry can’t remember who it was- German rider maybe- I do remember some controversy and that lots of apparently knowledgeable people (on this board? and elsewhere) were adamant that the judges have some discretion on this rule though I don’t remember seeing any evidence of that. Have the rules changed or were they (and the judges) wrong? Just curious.

One of the riders in the first rotation on the Grand Prix - was it an Australian rider? - had her horse spook at the tunnel and she couldn’t get the mare in. She jumped off, jogged the mare in, hopped on, and had to go directly into the ring to make it in time. And she rode a really great test, cool as a cucumber.

One of my inspirational ride memories is Rusty some years ago at either a WEG or Olympics where the CD on the freestyle malfunctioned, and she had to stop mid ride, leave the ring for another competitor while they fetched the backup, then return to resume her ride. And won the bronze.

I know it’s easy to say what they should do. But on the other hand, these people are the world’s best and are representing their country, even in the individual rounds. If I were a country selector, I would be very interested in any examples from past history how a specific rider can deal with it and continue unrattled when things, whether her fault or not, go wrong. Because sooner or later, even at WEG or Olympics, something will go wrong.

The vault mistake sounds like a total mess. But that affected all competitors to that point, at least. In this case, Adalinde alone violated a rule that everybody else didn’t, and I’m sure a few of them also would have wished for just one more piaffe or a little longer warmup.

That was the Sydney Olympics (I was there)

I had erased dear Sveta from my memory, but now I remember the drama. As noted above, this is an individual rider error, something that we all make from time to time. Being the best in the world doesn’t mean you don’t have a brain fart.

i remember the Rusty incident- I still have that video from back in the day when you had to buy the video if you wanted to watch from afar.

I guess no one else else remembers the incident I mentioned above.

NorCal, what did she do in the medal ceremony? I turned it off before the awards.

[QUOTE=dressagegirl123;7738342]
NorCal, what did she do in the medal ceremony? I turned it off before the awards.[/QUOTE]

I can’t really describe what she did. Entitled maybe? The only Olympian is don’t dislike for behaving that way is Svetlana Khorkina because she really was that d@#n good.
I’m uploading the videos now, I can send you the link so you can see for yourself if you like.

Crockpot, could you be talking about Bettina Hoy making 2 circles before entering the stadium in eventing, and it wasn’t noticed till AFTER the medal ceremonies? There was a Team Gold lost because of it. It was in Greece I believe.

[QUOTE=Crockpot;7737802]
i remember the Rusty incident- I still have that video from back in the day when you had to buy the video if you wanted to watch from afar.

I guess no one else else remembers the incident I mentioned above.[/QUOTE]

I vaguely remember reading about an incident years and years and years ago. Not sure if it’s the same one you are referring to or not. Some big competition. The horse’s name was Genesis, forget rider, country, etc. Don’t remember all the details. I think the rider broke the start line accidentally with her horse’s rump or something while turning near it. Clock started somehow before she had intended. She finally noticed and refused to start. Basically staged a “walk-in” right there in the ring, walking her horse around, refused to compete until they reset the clock but refused to leave. I think they finally let her go “pending a hearing,” or something like that. She went on to do well that night but not in a subsequent round, so wouldn’t have won even if that first round counted. I forget what ever happened with the hearing/review.

What I do remember is her blatantly refusing to either compete or leave until she had her way. She was holding the whole competition hostage. Struck me as incredibly disrespectful of the sport, the stewards, her fellow competitors whose warmup schedule she was throwing into disarray during her several minute demonstration, etc. She really came across, in my opinion, anyway, as sounding like an entitled jerk.

[QUOTE=dressagetraks;7738419]
I vaguely remember reading about an incident years and years and years ago. Not sure if it’s the same one you are referring to or not. Some big competition. The horse’s name was Genesis, forget rider, country, etc. Don’t remember all the details. I think the rider broke the start line accidentally with her horse’s rump or something while turning near it. Clock started somehow before she had intended. She finally noticed and refused to start. Basically staged a “walk-in” right there in the ring, walking her horse around, refused to compete until they reset the clock but refused to leave. I think they finally let her go “pending a hearing,” or something like that. She went on to do well that night but not in a subsequent round, so wouldn’t have won even if that first round counted. I forget what ever happened with the hearing/review.

What I do remember is her blatantly refusing to either compete or leave until she had her way. She was holding the whole competition hostage. Struck me as incredibly disrespectful of the sport, the stewards, her fellow competitors whose warmup schedule she was throwing into disarray during her several minute demonstration, etc. She really came across, in my opinion, anyway, as sounding like an entitled jerk.[/QUOTE]

I remember this, though not the name of the rider. I do remember that it seemed like the ultimate bad sportsmanship. Everyone had to stand around while she had her tantrum

[QUOTE=Larksmom;7738412]
Crockpot, could you be talking about Bettina Hoy making 2 circles before entering the stadium in eventing, and it wasn’t noticed till AFTER the medal ceremonies? There was a Team Gold lost because of it. It was in Greece I believe.[/QUOTE]

Not just team gold, Bettina lost individual gold as well, a very costly mistake.