Unlimited access >

Adelinde Cornelissen's penalty points for being late in the ring

I just watched the first few moments of Adelinde’s GPS ride, via the link on Eurodressage.

It sure looked to me as though she was late - you can see the countdown clock in the video. The Eurodressage article says she blamed it on the ringmaster but he claims otherwise. Astrid’s article says she piaffed a lot coming out of the tunnel, then again at E, even though the bell had rung.

If not for those penalty points, she would have finished ahead of Kristina Sprehe, and been on the podium.

So - legitimate complaint, or not?

Its ridiculous that being late could cause someone to miss out on a medal

Even Intro riders know the 45 second rule. At schooling shows.

Every other rider managed to get into the ring within the 45 seconds. And THOSE riders know what the rules are as well. Not her first rodeo.

Should riders get to choose WHICH well documented rules to adhere to and which to ignore

National rules would have eliminated her.

[QUOTE=NorCal10;7736489]
Its ridiculous that being late could cause someone to miss out on a medal[/QUOTE]

I don’t think so. She should have been in the ring on time, it’s not like she didn’t have fair warning. Slippery slope and all that. Every time somebody is late it has an effect on all riders following, or are just the last riders in the class allowed to ignore the clock ?

I’m usually a rules freak but it still seems a heavy price to pay

It USED to be ELIMINATION rather than a point deduction.

Which rules SHOULD be able to be ignored? Gamblers choice maybe?

Last WEG she tried the bloody mouth trick. Now time limits. What next?

[QUOTE=NorCal10;7736525]
I’m usually a rules freak but it still seems a heavy price to pay[/QUOTE]

It is also VERY easy to avoid.

Ask Bettina Hoy

From what I read, the points lost would NOT have made a difference to put her on the podium.

you are correct , she would have still been 1.5 points shy of tied for bronze

It is my understanding that at some bigger European shows, they simply reset the clock some. Maybe she thought that would happen here or just wasn’t paying attention enough. i doubt she’ll be late again after this.

A friend of mine was there watching and took some photos of Adelinde Cornelisse’s ride and posted them to her FB. I don’t think Adelinde’s lateness to the arena is what should be being discussed - more like how she managed to place 4th in the WORLD.

There are a few things I’m tempted to say, but will leave it at: Karma’s a b****.

The whole crowd was murmuring while the clock counted down the last 10 seconds. Everyone knew she wasn’t going to make it. She deserved the penalty!

That’s a tough thing, but the rules are clear and you have to plan for them being strictly enforced. She obviously was late.

OT, but what’s up with riding with the bight of the reins on top?

[QUOTE=hoopoe;7736725]
you are correct , she would have still been 1.5 points shy of tied for bronze[/QUOTE]

Ah, you are right. I had read somewhere that she (or the Dutch team) thought the penalty had cost her the Bronze. But I think the article was referring to the fact that she said she “didn’t have time to prepare her horse properly” because the bell was “rung so quickly”, and that she was angry about it during the first part of her ride, so didn’t ride as well.

Astrid’s article this morning says she heard some journalists talking in the press center about how it was all a big conspiracy among the judges. They also said that Isabel withdrew her horse from the GPS because she was afraid the mare would be drug tested. http://www.eurodressage.com/equestrian/2014/08/29/yes-we-caen-end-nigh

If Adelinde doesn’t medal in the Freestyle - and in particular, beat the Germans - the Dutch media will really be full of sour grapes!

If those ‘journalists’ love gossip as much as Astrid, nothing they might speculate would surprise me :wink:

[QUOTE=DownYonder;7736962]
Ah, you are right. I had read somewhere that she (or the Dutch team) thought the penalty had cost her the Bronze. But I think the article was referring to the fact that she said she “didn’t have time to prepare her horse properly” because the bell was “rung so quickly”, and that she was angry about it during the first part of her ride, so didn’t ride as well.[/QUOTE]

I remember at WEG 2006, Zara Phillips was late starting the stadium jumping course because she didn’t hear/wasn’t ready for yet the buzzer. She was in gold medal position but didn’t have that much to spare. So she was a few seconds behind on the clock when she crossed the start.

But instead of stewing for half the round on, “That $%$%* steward KNEW I wasn’t ready yet,” she just went ahead and rode and dealt with it. Commentator noted how she was galloping some of the longer turns to make up the time she lost by the lapse at the beginning. Finished within her margin and won the gold.

I know you can’t “make up the time” in dressage, but to stew on a technical mistake and let it affect other movements past that is purely the rider’s fault, nobody else’s.