Adequan dosage frequency

Can someone settle a barn debate for me, please?

Adequan dosage is described on the box as being “every four days.”

Does this to you mean that if I give a dose tomorrow (Thursday,) the next dose should be Sunday?

Or should it be Monday?

Monday. Sunday would only be 72 hours (3 days).

9 Likes

Above response is correct. The package insert describes the dosing. If injected on Thursday, you then count- Friday-1, Saturday-2, Sunday-3, Monday-4. Next injection due on Monday. Next injection following that would be Friday.

8 Likes

Thank you. I feel vindicated.

6 Likes

It does, but it is also confusing because it talks about 28 days (or at least it did last time I used it about six months ago), which does not work no matter how you count it.

1 Like

Isn’t it 7 doses total, one every 4 days? So 7x4 = 28? What am I missing?

Mark it on your calendar.

There are seven doses, yes.
And there are four days between doses.
So there are six gaps of four (not seven) = 24 plus one day, so a total of 25 days.

Clearly the person who wrote the flier did the same thing.

Ah got it - they are probably considering the last 4 days as part of “treatment” but they are not actually relevant for the typical horse owner. I’m up to speed now, ty!

I am not sure how they can consider the three days after you give the last dose treatment.

Most likely someone did what you did - 7 x 4 = 28 so it is 28 days.
It is an easy mistake to make.

It is just confusing to the user when they mark it on their calendar and then do not have enough days.

From a drug development perspective the treatment interval is not just the day you are giving the drug, but the x number of days, weeks, or months after the dose to monitor for potential effects (either efficacy or adverse events). I’m just assuming someone determined 4 days was a clinically relevant amount of time for a single adequan dose, hence why the doses are given 4 days apart. Hence why someone would assume that last 4 days was part of the 7th dose’s “treatment” interval.

I’m not saying it makes sense from a consumer perspective, just speculating as to how they arrived there.

(I was not involved in adequan drug development and establishment of dosing/treatment intervals, so I’m just assuming here based on my experience in the industry.)

4 Likes

Go to adequan.com and the dosing schedule is illustrated on a calendar page.

Thank you!