Unlimited access >

Adequan

Apologies for a likely repeat post

I had my mare on Adequan a while ago, But stopped when I semi retired her. I am considering starting her up again but think the protocol on dosage has changed and I’m trying to understand before ordering my vials of it. (And yes I did discuss this with my vet yesterday, just seeking some more information)

I see that the loading dose is one dose every four days for seven doses but after that it looks like people vary on how frequently they give it, between some people giving it weekly and some giving it monthly. Is there a right answer on how often to give it? or is it preference?

Lastly, what is the usual dose? I thought I read 50 ML but I could be wrong. Is it the same for a loading dose as it is maintenance?

Expecting a follow up from my vet today so I will ask her these questions as well but just wanted to refresh my memory

5mL is the dose, whether you’re doing the loading dose, or in between dosing. 50mL is a multi-use vial.

1x4x7 is the standard protocol, and most people do the loading dose twice a year. Some people seem to feel their horse is better with it monthly, and then a yearly (or twice) loading dose.

There is nothing formally studied on weekly or monthly.

2 Likes

Agreed!

Nothing has changed. 1x4x7 loading dose “as needed” has always been the studied and approved dosage for the drug. Early on, more vets were recommending off label doses, like monthly shots.

1 Like