Unlimited access >

Adopting an OTTB!!

He has got kind eyes.

My two cents, give them time, take your time and treat him as an individual, forget about what other horses are doing and aim to bring out the best in him. Forget about frame for now and work on relaxation and rhythm and hopefully being a tb forward will already be there. Expose him to as many different things as possible , they are brave souls and enjoy him.

[QUOTE=LetsGetThis948;8180421]

Yes, my horse IS adopted. I’ve never bought a pet, I seek animals out that are in need of homes - from shelters or temporary holding sites - rather than buying one that was produced solely for profit. My body is unlikely to support a pregnancy, so my pets ARE my children. It saddens me to think you really feel that horses are nothing more than “chattel”. Pets, no matter the species, are so much more.

I do appreciate you saying that you hope he will be the horse of my dreams - I really do believe he will be :slight_smile: [/QUOTE]

Seems like there’s a post missing here, but let me respond…

Just because some people feel that they need to get a certain level of performance out of a horse does not mean that they are less emotionally invested than you are. It does not mean that they care less, and it does not mean that they are less devoted to their animals than you. You are not inherently a better horse owner/parent/whatever because you sought out a horse that was in a “rescue” type situation. And animals that are produced for a specific purpose are not less deserving of a great home and a comfortable life.

I fully support rescuing and have upgraded several animals myself. But on the other hand, if a horse turns out to be a terrible match for his adopter, it is not in his best interests that he stay in a situation where he cannot be productive and have a job that suits him. Just because someone is willing to provide a horse with 20+ years of retirement does not mean it is the best life for him.

I really really REALLY hope that you are right and the stars have aligned and brought you just the right horse for you!! That would be amazingly fantastic for both of you!!! But don’t be critical of others just because they take a slightly different approach to choosing their equine partners.

Congrats! He is gorgeous. I got a 3 y/o fresh off the track a year ago and it has been a fun adventure. He is the sweetest thing, very laid back and has been super easy to work with. The biggest challenges have been teaching him to bend, and accept contact. I guess my best advice would be don’t have too many preconceived notions what an OTTB will be like! Feel free to check out my blog (linked in my sig) to see how my first year went.