Unlimited access >

Adopting an OTTB!!

I’m a week away from adopting an OTTB!! I’ve been around horses my whole life, but this is my first time as a horse owner. Any pearls of wisdom current/previous OTTB owners want to share? All tips welcomed and appreciated!!

I see you are in NY… who are you adopting from? I love Second Chance - they get a lot of nice horses from FLF.

You’ll learn a lot as you go, unfortunately, an OTTB is like any other horse in that every one is different.

Your advice will be very different depending on if you are getting an OTTB fresh from the track, or getting an OTTB from a reputable adoption.

My pearls of wisdom are give them time off if they need it (especially right after the track) give them as much T/O as you possibly can, and give them a job. I could write a novel on what each OTTB of mine has taught me, but by and large they all benefit from as much T/O as possible, a fair job, a good understanding of horse language & expression, and also an understanding of green horses - take your time, reward often, and have a great ride.

Oh, and work with a trainer who you trust and is familiar with OTTBs :wink:

Thank you Beowulf - wonderful words!! Im adopting him from New Vocations. I’m flying down to Lexington this Saturday to meet him and make sure he’s the right one for me (although I must admit, I’m already in love). He just turned 7 last month and has been off the track since 2012. I do have a trainer who has worked with OTTBs and has bred her own thoroughbreds - she’s fantastic!! (Btw, great pic in your link - what s gorgeous boy you have!!)

My advice would be… think with your HEAD when buying a horse. I’ve seen SO many people get inappropriate mounts because they “fell in love.” I’m not saying you shouldn’t love your horse, you absolutely should!!! But if you have specific riding goals for your horse and can’t afford to support a pasture pet should things not go well (which is the vast majority of horse owners), then do your best to take your heart out of the equation when selecting a horse. That may sound harsh, but finding yourself stuck with an expensive animal that is a bad match for you is going to be much more heartbreaking than forcing yourself to be logical and uncompromising at the beginning of the process. Think about what you need to get from this horse in order for it to be a fulfilling experience for you. Make a list of must-haves and must-not-haves, and stick to it.

You’re going for long-term, lasting love that develops and matures through a solid partnership here… don’t get carried away by lust in the beginning :winkgrin:

Already had a lengthy convo with his trainer about several horses they have and he seems to be the best fit for me! :slight_smile:

I adopted almost 2 years ago from NV. Great experience and my boy was exactly what they described. Only words of advise…get a Prepurchase Exam done!!! I’ve had nothing but vet bills since he came and probably have a big pet for the next 20 years when he just turned 6 years old three days ago. He came with horrible arthritis in hocks and stifles and it’s nothing but a heartache. Now, stuff like this can happen to any horse but I would have known if I did X-rays before he came. I’m in love now and he’s a very good boy so he has a home for life but it sucks!

Given he’s been OT for 3 years, and coming from NV, I’d say he’s got most of his post-track issues behind him in terms of feeding and letting down, etc. So, don’t think of him anymore as OT - he’s a horse standing in front of you with whatever baggage (or not).

What has he been doing for 3 years? How long has NV had him? Best scenario is you’re getting a horse who has already started his 2nd career, and now you just get to work on finishing him :slight_smile:

It’s funny because I am in Lexington and 3 of mine have come from New York. :slight_smile:
I second the advice on getting a PPE done. It can save you a lot of grief down the road, especially when you will have to be shipping such a long way. Good luck; OTTBs are the best!

I second the question about what he has been doing for the last three years, and also advise a PPE.

I’ve had a bunch of OTTB’s and they have all been very different.

Can’t speak to this without PICTURES, pedigree, and a peek at his race record.

Is this him? http://www.horseadoption.com/horseprofiles/tapaway/

My only OTTB was purchased through my instructor as a 3-year old. I was initially more interested in several others that she ruled out as being too challenging for my skill level, and looking back on it, she was right. The young gelding I bought was very laid back for a TB but still a lot bigger handful than the green stock horses I’d owned before! He was not long off the track and turned out to be sound, although I had several significant vet bills from colic episodes that stemmed from ulcers.

My advice is listen to your trainer, and don’t buy unless s/he has tried the horse and wholeheartedly supports your choice.

Good luck!

She won’t be able to try the horse at NV unless they have changed their policy. I believe you have to take the horse home and if they do not work out whether it’s a bad match or the PPE turns up something you can’t live with then you can return the horse.

RackNRoll, yes, that’s him!! Signed the adoption papers on Saturday after meeting him and a few other horses, HE’S MINE!!!

You have purchased a thoroughbred ex racehorse. Congratulations! I hope he works out for you, and becomes the horse of your dreams, and fulfils every aspect of what you need in a horse.

Many people have purchased TB after their racing careers. Some work out well, others don’t. Depends on the skill of selection, and the skill of the riding and training available to the new owner. And on luck. Because when you are buying any horse who is not currently performing in the discipline you are interested in, the future is more unknown than when buying a proven performer.

People used to buy these horses directly from the racetrack, from their trainer or owner. These days, a middleman is often used, a dealer. This dealer may not be an economically viable dealer, they may operate at a loss, and beg for donations to remain in operation. They may well serve a purpose, and be helpful to horses who do not have a lot of other options, and need help in finding a new home and owner. Their time with the dealer may be helpful to give time to rest, relax, and heal from injuries. But they do remove the buyer from direct access to the knowledge that a previous owner and trainer can give (but may not give if they don’t feel like it).

On principle, I don’t like “middlemen”. I prefer to buy direct. But others do not feel this way, and middlemen abound. I don’t like to use real estate agents either. Horses are not “adopted”, they are bought and sold, they are “chattel”. Children are adopted. Dealers, whether or not they operate at a profit, should not use emotional marketing, likening the purchase of a horse to adopting a child to make the sale. People should not be sucked in like this. If you are looking for a cheap horse, who may turn into a superstar for you (a diamond in the rough), as so many of us have over the preceding decades, you can buy one from any of many sources. But it is not “adoption”. Good luck with your new horse.

I met a Tapit last fall. I live a long way from the source of Tapits. He was very crippled and damaged from his racing career, but much loved by his current owner, who uses him as a lead pony (sort of) at the track. Huge horse, and would have been very attractive before the damage happened. A real quality type of horse, and brave too.

OOOOH congrats! I liked Tapaway a lot… please keep us updated!

I will Beowulf!!

My “pearl of wisdom:” get a trainer to help you!

Congrats! Hope he turns out to be all you hope he will be. I purchased an OTTB mare a little over a year ago from her owner/trainer. It was a great experience and we have kept in contact since then. She is so excited when I send her pictures and tell her about the activities I do with the mare. Definitely do a pre-purchase exam on him.

Adopt —verb

1. to choose or take as one’s own; make one’s own by selection or assent.
  2. to take and rear as one’s own, specifically by a formal legal act.

Yes, my horse IS adopted. I’ve never bought a pet, I seek animals out that are in need of homes - from shelters or temporary holding sites - rather than buying one that was produced solely for profit. My body is unlikely to support a pregnancy, so my pets ARE my children. It saddens me to think you really feel that horses are nothing more than “chattel”. Pets, no matter the species, are so much more.

I do appreciate you congratulating me and saying that you hope he will be the horse of my dreams - I really do believe he will be :slight_smile: Everyone is entitled to their own opinions, and I applaud you for sharing yours, I just had to express mine as well.

Congratulations! I like him. I hope he brings you joy and fun. Fun is important! What you are you planning to do with him?

I’ve also come to a point in my life where I seek out the ones in need. I adopted an OTTB (from CANTER) that is really not ideal for what I wanted to do. My trainer encouraged me to sell her and buy something fancier. I was even told I was “too good a rider” for that horse. I leased a nicely-trained Hanoverian for a year and came this close (picture thumb and forefinger 1/16th inch apart) to buying a different Warmblood that was bred & trained for the sport. In the end, I went with my heart and kept my OTTB. No regrets :winkgrin: