Advanced Cushings Dog

I’m looking for perspective on Cushings as it progresses, so that I can make wise decisions for my dog.

My dog, who is currently in the 13-15 year age range, tested positive for low-level Cushings a little over 2 years ago. His symptoms, drinking a lot of water and peeing more, were easy to manage, so the vet recommended that I do NOT give him the medication. In the past couple of weeks, however, I’ve started to recognize an increase and exacerbation of symptoms-- he’s hungry and wasting on the toppling, more panting and and some anxiety and restlessness. I made an appointment with the vet, but it’s not for 10 days and I just want some perspective to help make good choices.

Again, he’s around 14 years old and a 75-80lb coonhound. (The original guess makes him 15.) He has significant arthritis in his shoulders, but librela is giving him a lot more activity this summer. I was aware that this might be his last summer and we are now able to go on rather long walks, his choice.

I want to make sure that I get him care before he goes into some kind of crisis, but I also don’t want to do too much to make him suffer. What was your experience with dogs and Cushings? Do they die from this? When did you make the choice to end suffering and was it clear? I have a relationship with my vet, but I see multiple people, so it’s hard to have a relationship.

What did you do to make your dog more comfortable? He’s really been the most amazing best friend. Thanks!

I had a Shih Tzu with Cushings. She was diagnosed late in life. To be honest, looking back at pics of her I wish I would have let her go sooner. Oftentimes we don’t see the progression quite as sharply as we do after the fact. She was never a good eater so even with Cushings I was still having to encourage her to eat and tempt her to eat. It was very clear to me when I finally put her down that it was time. It wasn’t until later looking at pictures that I truly see it in her eyes and wish I would have done it a little bit sooner. She was 13 or 14 when she was diagnosed and 15 when I put her down. She was on the meds…drawing a blank on which medicine it was, need to back and look at her records.

2 Likes

I lost my heart dog to Cushings. This was over a decade and a half ago, so bear in mind the meds and managment of this disease has changed. And I did not manage him with meds. At the time it was monthly check ups and blood draws with the med the vet wanted to use and I was not in a place financially where I could do that. So I had changed his diet and got 2 more good years out of him before the spiral.

He was 7 when I first noticed the signs. It was 10 when I had him cross the rainbow bridge.
The last year was the worst. I made him live 6 months longer than he should; I was young and selfish.

He would drink so much water and due to the topline and muscle tone withering away he was unable to get up and I would carry him down the stairs to pee. He would urinate in his bed and lay in it and he was so upset with himself wetting his bed. I tried every brand of dog diaper and even used men’s diapers to help soak up his urine while I was in school for the 4 hours he was alone. He tried so hard to be a ‘good boy’ and he his body was failing him.

While all of this was happening he no longer was interested to eat. I tried everything: meat cooked, raw, eggs, different kibbles, canned foods, burgers, ice cream and other dairy products, anything to get calories in him. Dosed him with chinese herbs and used electro accupuncture to no avail.

It was a quick downward spiral and I should never had let him get that bad. My best friend came to the apt one day and took one look at him and burst into tears over his condition. (She had known since he was a pup) It took her reaction to see what I had been doing to him.

I know this not want you want to hear, its a sad story. But I would never wish a dog lover to go through what Kip went throughand what I put my heart through. I hope that you do not experience what we went through. The science gets better which is good.

Cushing is a perfect example of a week too soon is better than a day too late.

4 Likes

I do not have a cushings dog but did just euthanize my standard poodle.
What really helped was the Lap Of Love Quality-of-Life Assessment. I tried to do it on a regular basis so I could see the changes.
Here is the link to the pdf. https://www.lapoflove.com/how-will-i-know-it-is-time/lap-of-love-quality-of-life-scale.pdf
Sending jingles for your boy.

3 Likes

I am sorry you lost your Std Poodle.

I hope your heart heals quickly.

That is a nice form to use. Thank you for sharing it with the OP.

1 Like

I had two dogs that I successfully managed on trilostane. One for three years, the other for two the one who was on it for two years, died of Cushing’s related issues, but the one that was on it for three years died of a ruptured splenic tumor. Both dogs had a better quality of life after they were started on meds, and maintained it for a long while.

1 Like