Unlimited access >

Advice on buying a dressage saddle....

I am in the market for a dressage saddle, and my budget is up to $2500. I bought my Pessoa jumping saddle off the rack and it seems to fit my horse very well. I want to make sure the dressage saddle fits him and I perfectly though, and I am not sure the best way to go about purchasing.
I know Susie Coffey is well known in the area for saddle fitting, but I would assume that’s only if you already have a saddle you like.
How do some of you typically go about buying a new saddle? Just feeling very overwhelmed with choices at the moment!

In your shoes I would go with a fitter who can help you assess your horse and find you something and not just try off the rack.

I tried 28 (yes, twenty eight) dressage saddles that didn’t work on my horse (she apparently has 2 things going on that make her difficult) before I found a “possibly”. Jump and drssage saddles can fit very differently - I only tried ONE jumping saddle and it works just fine.

There are several ways to buy a saddle. One is that you can have a fitter come to your horse and measure and suggest or give you saddles to try depending on what they have available.

You can work with someone like us. We work with tracings, a questionnaire and conformation shots and make suggestions at no charge. We have a large selection of saddles, all available for trial and all we charge for is the shipping unless you decide to keep a saddle. We also are happy to assess fit via photos and anecdotal evidence.

It is your choice but having the option to try the saddles and have them evaluated whether locally or long distance is really critical.

Your best bet will be to work with a knowledgeable, reputable fitter (Susie has a very good reputation, but not sure if she sells saddles or just does fitting). Hands-on is really the best, and some fitters will have saddles for you to try, while some will assess your horse’s fitting needs and recommend saddles that might work. If you don’t have a local person, it’s possible to work long-distance through the use of templates and photos. Panther Run Saddlery and Equestrian Imports both have a lot of experience and success in remote work, and both offer a one-week trial policy on any saddle they have. And getting to try the saddle in real-time is vital, since you have to be able to really ride in it 4 or 5 times to find out if it’s going to work for you and your horse.

If you have a local fitter I would say by all means contact her and see if she has any used saddles or can assess your horse in person and help you find ideas of what will fit!

We do not have any local independent fitters, so I chose the brand to use based upon the rep who was known for fitting horses well, rather than the brand itself. My horse is actually a pretty easy fit - I’m the hard fit because I’m only 5’1" and have quite round thighs and backside. :slight_smile:

Also - I’ll say it again. If any independent saddle fitters (especially with stock!) are looking for somewhere to relocate - AZ is in desperate need!

[QUOTE=netg;7238420]
Also - I’ll say it again. If any independent saddle fitters (especially with stock!) are looking for somewhere to relocate - AZ is in desperate need![/QUOTE]

Don’t say that too loudly - the hubs isn’t happy about Vermont winters and is pining for a warmer climate … ;).

[QUOTE=Kitt;7238580]
Don’t say that too loudly - the hubs isn’t happy about Vermont winters and is pining for a warmer climate … ;).[/QUOTE]

Texas is really nice in the winter and I sure could use some help!

Susie can only fit a saddle that you already have. If you can get your hands on several saddles, she can come out and tell you whether or not any of them will work. Otherwise, you’re going to need a fitter with a bunch of different saddles, and that might mean someone like Bill Wood (who sells different brands) or a company that has lots of choices to choose from with their dressage saddles. (This is how I ended up going with Custom, but they’re more than $2,500 for new - great if you can find one used, though!)

As an aside, Susie IS very good. Bill is also quite good. I’ve heard Annette Gavin is good, and I think she sells several different brands of English made saddles. There are other independent fitters in the area who I would stay away from.

Not all horses need special fitting - just saying… I’d start by borrowing some saddles from barn buddies, trainers, etc to see what YOU like. If possible, sit in a few saddles at a tack store (although warning, a saddle feels much different on a horse). You might find something that fits both you and your horse well.

Then, if your horse is “kind of normal” in shape, you might be able to buy off the rack (or even better, used) - companies like Trumball Mountain can be very helpful if you aren’t dealing with a real special need!

If your horse is special (I’ve had a few of those), then you may need to look at custom, or at least tweaking the fit of a non-custom saddle.

But really, your first move is to ride in as many different saddles as you can get your hands on!

Thanks so much, everyone! I have purchased 4 saddles from Dover (Warendorf, Passier, Steffan Peters Custom, and Marcel Tolouse) so hopefully one of them will work for us. If not, back to the drawing board with plan B!

Just a thought, I bought my PDS (made by pessoa) after a trial that my local tack shop made possible. The company allows trials and I was very pleased with the easy process. Many companies offer such services and a good relationship with your saddle fitter to make small adjustments is a must. The bonus for the PDS is that it has an interchangeable gullet system and is in your price range. Used saddles with big names are great, but usually means no trial period. Good luck.

When I was looking for my first “good” dressage saddle, I was told by a COTHer to try Trumbullmnt, and although they didn’t end up having a saddle for me and my horse, they advised me on saddles that they felt would work. Upon their advice I ended up getting a custom made saddle from Frank Baines.

Prior to that I had borrowed many saddles, and had the local shops out to show me what they had, but I was very discouraged by their service, and felt that they were just trying to sell me what they had, rather than what would actually fit me and the horse.

OP, if none of the Dover saddles work out, you might want to check with the Maryland Saddlery consignment stores in Butler and Crofton. If you haven’t already, that is.

Do NOT custom order one or buy one that you cannot trial and return if it is not right. Research my posts and learn from my mistake. :frowning:

Here’s hoping one that you ordered works. My advice if they don’t – try as many as you can find - I had a Neidersuss worked great for my big high withered Thoroughbred but didn’t fit my 15 had GOV mare. In my search I tried trilogy, county, albion and anything else I could. I ended up with the trilogy but if this is your first dressage saddle – try the Neidersuss. I’ve had mine for almost 15 years and it still(no kidding) looks brand new. It’s not the newest in fashion but it’s in your budget. If it fits you and your horse - who cares. I think that saddle is a good first dressage saddle as it doesn’t lock you in and isn’t too deep. Is it the last dressage saddle you will buy - probably not but it will last you.

[QUOTE=czgm7r;7251945]
It’s not the newest in fashion but it’s in your budget. If it fits you and your horse - who cares. I think that saddle is a good first dressage saddle as it doesn’t lock you in and isn’t too deep. Is it the last dressage saddle you will buy - probably not but it will last you.[/QUOTE]

They are GREAT saddles, aren’t they? I rode in one for years - they fit a LOT of horses. My trainer still has one for the horses that come in to her barn without a good fitting saddle. I would agree, they are a viable option - and you can pick them up used for under $1,000!

czgm7r: totally agree, I just bout one for my difficult to fit mare. Picked it up on consignment. $990. Great condition, would be happy to show in it, great fit for the horse and I find it puts me in the correct position too. Can’t ask much more than that. Happy customer :yes:

[QUOTE=aghorton;7237450]
I am in the market for a dressage saddle, and my budget is up to $2500. I bought my Pessoa jumping saddle off the rack and it seems to fit my horse very well.

How do some of you typically go about buying a new saddle? Just feeling very overwhelmed with choices at the moment![/QUOTE]

As the Pessoa jump fits your horse & you like it, talk to a Pessoa rep about their dressage line: which tree/panels will provide a similar fit to the jump you already have?
Start there :winkgrin:

If you have a local tack shop with staff that know how to fit saddles to people & a good collection of various branded dressage saddles (that are at least close to your size), begin by sitting in them at the shop (hopefully they have a proper “horse” to place the saddles on), wear your favorite jods & boots & see how you feel in the various saddles … then go back & sit in them all over again at a later date.

Talk to your trainer & see what she has in her collection, what friends have etc …
BUT you can’t really judge a saddle unless fit for the horse is also decent, e.g., saddle may seem to tilt you forward/backward/chair seat etc and it’s just a reflection of how the saddle (doesn’t) fit the horse.

If you can get out to events where saddle vendors, fitters have booths, this is another great way to sit in a lot of different saddles - and talk to reps about what’s available, to fitters to find one you like etc.

Don’t begin by randomly shipping in saddles that look interesting or buying anything off ebay (cause it fits TB’s) :wink:

Well, I have to say that Susie was AMAZING to work with! My trainer came over, and we had a really fun session.
She looked at the Pessoa and although she doesn’t love the fit, we can make it work until I am in the market for a new jumping saddle.
As for the dressage saddles, she picked the Passier based on fit for him (apparently, he has a very ‘uniquely shaped’ back :sadsmile:). I did a quick ride in it and he seems pretty happy, so I am happy! Very excited about my new saddle, now I just need to get the rest of the package and off we go! Thinking about ordering some Gary Mundy leathers, but that is a post for another thread.
Seems as though the collecting of horsey stuff will never end, but I can’t say that I hate shopping for my horse! Thanks again for all your input!
ETA: I cannot recommend Susie enough! If ever in doubt, just call her…!

ETA: Cannot recommend Susie enough! Seriously, if in doubt, just call her…