Unlimited access >

Advice on supplements for sensitive mare

I have been working with a green 5 year old TB Oldenburg cross mare. She is really sensitive in general, but especially when she is in heat she gets so tight through her back. I am working on first level dressage movements with her, which makes it difficult if she doesn’t want to lift up her back. I have had my saddle fitted and also use a mattes pad with her, so we don’t think that is the root of the issue. After thinking more carefully about this, my trainer and I don’t think this issue is related to her hocks or stifles either.
I have looked into several supplements to make her less sore through her back including depo and raspberry leaves.

Any suggestions if either of those would be good options or other supplements to control her heat cycle and loosen her up through her back??

Thank you!

Have you checked out MagRestore by Performance Equine USA? It’s di-magnesium malate. A lot of my friends have their mares on it for the same issues you are speaking of. As well, I have my gelding on it. Makes a HUGE difference in muscle tension, nervousness and stiffness.

You might try some of the “mare support” supplements such as this one - if you want to explore steroids such as Regu-Mate, then your vet is the best answer.

With the herbal supplements, look to a company that has an awareness of showing regulations & statements as to which supplements may “test” (& under which guidelines).

Isn’t Regu-mate a synthetic progesterone hormone? Not a steroid?

I would also suggest a magnesium supplement such as the MagRestore by Performance Equine as well as their product Focus. I have a TB/Old mare and she’s exactly as you’ve described. I’ve spent 3 years trying various things nutritional as well as physical to get her comfortable and relaxed in her back. If you name it I’ve probably tried it - several times… The three key things that seem to be must haves for my mare are the magnesium (which is generally why raspberry leaves are fed high in magnesium) the Focus product and NO soy. Soy can mimic estrogen and wreck havoc with a mare’s cycles, unfortunately it’s in just about every grain/processed feed out there. Therefore, a forage diet is what I have chosen and has worked very well for me. No grain at all. Just hay cubes, beet pulp and lots of very good hay. I do also feed her Fuel by Horse Tech to balance things out and provide digestive support along with the mag and Focus.

[QUOTE=Eclectic Horseman;7453429]
Isn’t Regu-mate a synthetic progesterone hormone? [/QUOTE]
Well, yes … which IS a steroid

• family name if you will, of which one member is called progesterone :slight_smile:

If you want to try something calming (eg a magnesium supplement), I would suggest Horse First’s Relax Me, it’s a calmer that really truly works.

[QUOTE=alto;7454253]
Well, yes … which IS a steroid

• family name if you will, of which one member is called progesterone :)[/QUOTE]

Okay, thanks. I was thinking Winstrol. :lol:

[QUOTE=QHF;7453451]
I would also suggest a magnesium supplement such as the MagRestore by Performance Equine as well as their product Focus.[/QUOTE]

Third vote for MagRestore and Focus. Save yourself the hassle and get the pellets though!

Quiessence is great too

Thank you all for your help. I’ll look into those options

Any idea if the MagRestore and Focus are testable? Someone was telling me that Magnesium is a testable by the FEI. I can look into their banned supplements list, but just wondering if you all knew!