Unlimited access >

Advice on weather to keep my horse

Hello All
I need some advice. I got my first horse about a year ago and to say the least it has been rocky,in the past 12 months we have had many incidents. And I am wondering what to do . Here’s the deal I got my ottb from a rescue he was very calm and sweet and reportedly no vices. Well I got him home and since then as had…
7 major cinchy pullback incidents completely flipped out each time kicking rearing etc.
Bloating issues one of witch caused saddle slippage and me to fall and get a concussion.
got stomped and a limped for 2 weeks because he got shocked by the eclectic fence
he got loose twice and the second time kicked me in the processes (luckily not very hard)
Ran away with me into the bushes( riding in a halter)

So my question is For a calm kid safe type horse dose this seem excessive? it dose to me or am I just expecting to much? I am afraid we just might be a poor match and if we continue I will get hurt worse. I appreciate any advice you all may have . Thanks

Where is your trainer in all of this?

OTTBs straight from a rescue are generally not suitable for novice riders without a trainer. What you’re describing sounds like a green horse/green rider problem.

OTTBs are not calm kid safe horses. Most of them pull back when tied, unless you tie them in their stall, where they were trained to tie. It takes some patience to train them in cross ties, or to tie outside.

Riding in the halter was just a bad decision made by an inexperienced horse person.

If the bloating issue is when the horse bloats when being saddled, its common enough that most people will saddle the horse, tighten the girth and let the horse stand around for a while then tighten again to make sure they didn’t fake you out bloating. That’s just experience.

You need a trainer or someone with experience to teach you more about horses, and especially about OTTBs. In general, OTTBs are not for beginner. They are different from most other types of horses.

I totally agree with Simkie. Where is your trainer?

Everything you describe sounds like user issues that with a good trainer could be worked thru.

And in answer to your question, if you don’t have a trainer and can’t afford one to work with you…yes, you should return the horse to the rescue.

You’re in over your head. OTTBs are not for novices.

I agree that OTTBs are rarely suitable for a novice but none of this causes me any concern. I have never met a good old lesson horse yet that didn’t blow itself up when you tighten the girth! That’s on you for not tightening it again after the horse walked. The tying issue is totally normal…stop tying the horse the way you are. Heck, when I first started tying my last OTTB he would have had seven pullbacks in a day if I kept tying him snug. I got some blocker tie rings and started over after the first broken halter…

Stupid of you to ride bareback in a halter, I did that all the time with my childhood pony and I fell off regularly when he decided he was done and galloped home. Use proper equipment or don’t whine about the obvious consequences.

You let him get shocked by the fence, of COURSE he is going to jump! and very likely on your foot. It happens. I have broken all my toes at some point, it is part and parcel of living on a horse farm for 25 years. Even being careful, horses are going to spook and occasionally one is going to plant a foot on your foot. Normal.

It sounds like you desperately need some guidance on how to handle your horse, and a reality check that you ARE going to get hurt in this sport, especially when you do stupid stuff around 1,000 pound animals. Get someone who can teach you to be more sensible in the way you act and stop blaming your horse. It’s not his fault, he’s just acting like a horse and it sounds to me like a pretty good one from the descriptions you’ve written.

It is hard, hard, hard to find a great beginner’s horse. if he is doing other things that make him unsuitable, send him back. are you able to control him when you ride him in normal tack? Are you scared to ride him under normal, safe conditions where you have appropriate tack and have tightened his girth well? that is the real test to me, all the rest of this can be worked through. Everyone falls off and if those two falls are your only ones in a year, both of which were your fault…it sounds like he might be more suitable than your average OTTB.

This all sounds like pretty normal behavior for a horse that’s likely pretty fresh off the track.

I think you should find him a new home - contact the original rescue and see if they will take him back. I’m guessing you’re on the more beginner side of things, and there’s nothing wrong with that! But I think you would be better served working with a trainer and getting lessons.

Are you a kid? is this horse boarded or kept at home?

Regardless, seems like not a match. Perhaps its best to return the horse to the rescue so they can find a more appropriate situation.

[QUOTE=katyh01;8803414]
Hello All
I need some advice. I got my first horse about a year ago and to say the least it has been rocky,in the past 12 months we have had many incidents. And I am wondering what to do . Here’s the deal I got my ottb from a rescue he was very calm and sweet and reportedly no vices. Well I got him home and since then as had…
7 major cinchy pullback incidents completely flipped out each time kicking rearing etc.
Bloating issues one of witch caused saddle slippage and me to fall and get a concussion.
got stomped and a limped for 2 weeks because he got shocked by the eclectic fence
he got loose twice and the second time kicked me in the processes (luckily not very hard)

So my question is For a calm kid safe type horse dose this seem excessive? it dose to me or am I just expecting to much? I am afraid we just might be a poor match and if we continue I will get hurt worse. I appreciate any advice you all may have . Thanks[/QUOTE]

Katy, it sounds like you are in over your head. are you at home with this horse? I agree with all that was said above.

if you return him to the rescue, look at other non-TB rescues and pick an older, been-there-done-that horse.

good luck!

I feel sad for both of you. Your horse’s behavior is quite normal for a confused horse adapting to a TOTALLY different lifestyle possibly including different feed regimen. You sound also confused and (forgive me for saying it) overfaced and clueless. This is not a winning combination.

It would seem that your options are:

1. Return horse to rescue with full report of what you’ve done and how it has gone for both of you.

2. Send the horse out for a couple of months’ training, then go have a few lessons at that trainer’s facility before you bring him back.

3. Get a trainer in to work with the horse on property and get some lessons from that person.

4. Start over with a really good book like Anna Morgan Ford’s book Beyond the Track
    https://www.amazon.com/Beyond-Track-Retraining-Thoroughbred-Racecourse/dp/1570764026

I have a friend, very experienced horse person, who just bought an off-track thoroughbred through a rescue. She has him in his 3rd month of full training and has only ridden him herself once. He is coming along well. “Full training” usually means 5 rides or training sessions per week.

They have a lot to learn! My heart goes out to you both. Only you can determine your best option. Weigh the good against the bad, and the risk against the reward. If it is not fun anymore, move him along but don’t just sell him on Craigslist…be careful where he goes. It could mean life or death for him.

OP, your instincts are correct. This is not the right horse for you. You are likely to get seriously hurt in the process. Return him and chalk it up to experience.

And keep looking for something suitable. I would go for an older horse with experience in your intended discipline.

[QUOTE=katyh01;8803414]
I got my ottb from a rescue he was very calm and sweet and reportedly no vices.[/QUOTE]

I’m not going to touch on your experience, as that has already been discussed by other posters, except to second and third the recommendation that a competent local trainer is needed to evaluate you and help you in real time. No matter how experienced or wise, a bunch of Internet strangers cannot see you and the horse interacting and advise in the moment, which is what is needed.

I do want to address the bit of your OP quoted above, as I have seen this problem crop up often: A horse is quiet and easy when tried and becomes more challenging when the new owner gets him home. You have to look at two things:

(A) What is different in the new home versus the old? Things to look at include the experience level of the handlers/riders, the work schedule, turnout schedule, feed, general environment, etc. Some horses do well on a regular and rigorous work schedule or in a particular type of environment (very busy, very quiet, etc.) and fall apart when they cannot have that. Likewise, a horse will always “devolve” to the incompetence of his current handlers; that’s why you see so many well-started greenbeans go to pot if sold to a novice owner that lacks really good trainer guidance.

(B) Are you and the seller using the exact same definition. What people accustomed to in OTTBs call “calm and sweet” could equate to anything from “kinda hot” to “a few manners issues” to “batshit crazy” for someone less inured to the typical quirks and energy levels of an OTTB. By the same token, the terms “kid-safe” is fraught with potential for misunderstanding. A horse may well be “kid-safe” for a fairly experienced child working regularly with a trainer so that the horse is well-exercised and in a program designed to maximize obedience and calm, but may be too much for a child if any or all of those parts are missing. A horse may be kid-safe for flatwork in a ring, but too strong over fences or too spooky hacking out.

And of course, any combination of (A) and (B) factors can also be in play for a particular horse-rider pair.

[QUOTE=katyh01;8803414]
Hello All

So my question is For a calm kid safe type horse dose this seem excessive? it dose to me or am I just expecting to much? I am afraid we just might be a poor match and if we continue I will get hurt worse. I appreciate any advice you all may have . Thanks[/QUOTE]

The red flags here are that the OP is not learning from her experiences, which means that she doesn’t have the skill set to see that there is a problem, and do things differently next time. How can you have seven major flip-out cinchy experiences? At the first hint of this, you should have changed up what you are doing.

Riding in a halter is just plain dumb, on a horse like this.

You’ve had horse for a year, and things haven’t gotten any better?

Get in training help, or rehome the horse.

It’s a mismatch, and your lack of skills are creating vices in the horse. You are teaching the horse to be scared and disobedient.

BTW, the subject heading made me think you were going to be asking something about the climate!

What a rough year for you!

My first thought was “what type of rescue would approve an OTTB to a new to horses owner”??
Send the horse back and if possible get your money back and go out and find a beginner safe horse who is not someone else’s throw away animal.

The horse is completely unsuitable for you in every way and the rescue had no business selling him to you. Find a trainer/ or experienced horse owner who can help you in your search for a good first horse. I would look to the stock horse breeds like QH , Paint, Appaloosa etc.

I agree with others that your issues seem to stem from ignorance or inexperience. Get thee to a trainer or return the horse.

Alternatively:
-Cinchy pullback - Train the horse to be saddled and girthed up. Do it slowly. Give praise and release of pressure. Do not put horse in the same situation in which he previously “flipped out” until the issues are resolved.
-Bloating issues - If you mean he blew out and you didn’t tighten your girth before mounting, learn to tighten your girth before mounting or don’t get up. The fall is your own fault. Were you wearing a helmet?
-Got stomped - You’re not leading him in a safe manner if the fence shocked him while you were holding the rope. He needs ground manners and you need to learn how to lead a hot horse.
-Got loose - See above. Well behaved horses with knowledgeable owners do not usually get loose.
-Ran away with you - Don’t ride in a halter. Don’t ride outside the arena until you are better at controlling the horse.

The previous posters have all given great advice. I would ad that it may be worth contacting the rescue to see if they have any good recommendations for a local trainer who could help you work on these things with your horse.