Unlimited access >

AECs - BN Rider vs Amateur?

Been trying to figure out the role of the Rider divisions at the BN and N level. Who enters these? Working students just starting out but who are technically “professionals”? The few names I clicked on were all listed as ammys, so why not enter those divisions? Any insights appreciated. Thanks!

I’ve also wondered what the various/additional levels at the AECs for N & BN designate…so if someone is willing to explain each of them in the briefest of terms, that would be awesome!

Rider is based on the highest level the rider has competed.
Amateur is based on whether the rider is paid to ride, train, etc.

Most BN competitors would rather compete against other riders who have only competed at low levels (even if they are technically professionals) than against Amateurs who may have competed at the upper levels

5 Likes

Yeah I noticed at training the rider division had a lot more issues xc than the amateur divisions.

The qualification is also a touch different. If you are, say for example, at a show where they only offer open BN Or N, and you are an amateur competing against several professionals on their young horses, and you place say 6th behind 5 professionals, that qualifies you for the AECs in the amateur division. That way an amateur can go if they jump clear around 3 other competitions of the level but might not place 1st or 2nd in their division.

2 Likes

Sorry for the late reply! Thank you Janet! I know I certainly would. :slight_smile:

Alyssa, thanks! I know I’ve read about that but I wasn’t sure of the impact if I were a lower-level amateur. I guess I chalked it up to not seeing myself enter an Open BN division any time soon. :slight_smile:

At least around here…there are almost NEVER any “amateur” divisions. So yes, if you are an amateur but not qualified for the “rider” divisions because you have competed at higher levels…You will typically be in either Horse or Open divisions. For me…I’m usually on a green horse so tend to go into the Horse divisions if available. But yeah, I can be in a division of 30 riders…and be one of the only if not the only amateur. That said…just because I may “qualify” for the AECs…I certainly would not go unless my horse was ready to run over a championship level course AND that I had a shot at being competitive. It’s too expensive of a show otherwise. I personally much prefer the divisions being based on actual experience (like the Rider) divisions than being based on the way we earn our living.

2 Likes

Had to do with the time of day the divisions ran. Awful glare off the HOTL in the AM when the Rider division ran. It was awful.