Unlimited access >

AECs on the West coast?

I know this has been discussed in the past but what would it take for the AECs to be on the West coast for once? The closest it has ever been in the 19 years since it started was one year, 2018, in Parker, CO which is 1,300 miles from here, or about 25-30 hours of driving with a trailer, and 2022 at Rebecca Farm in MT, a similar distance. The rest of the championships were in TX, GA, NC (so many times!), IL, and KY (see my little map of states that have hosted)

With Tamie Smith having won LRK3D, and being based on the West coast, I say itā€™s time for the AECs to be here. Especially since "The most decorated AEC competitor in terms of wins is Tamra Smith. Since 2004, Smith has won AEC divisions eight times ā€“ the most wins out of any other rider. She has won the AEC at almost every level - she is just missing Beginner Novice. " - sheā€™s paid her dues! :slight_smile:

If I understand it, venues have to submit a request to hold the champs. Have any of the West coast venues ever done so?

1 Like

A cold-hearted answer ā€“ I think it will come down to the anticipated total entries.

And then probably a final estimate of 60% to 75% of that number, given that some may not come for sundry unknown reasons.

However that entry estimate is calculated. Different people might come up with different numbers.

And/or, a blank check offered to cover any shortfalls in income to expenses ā€¦ and may make sure there is a profit, if profit is something that the AECā€™s are about.

4 Likes

You must be in Washington. I do Denver to Temecula in 16-17 hours. Aspen Farms is definitely 23 hours driving. :grin:

I agree that it would be nice for the AECs too be on the West Coast but I also stopped caring about the AECs. Iā€™d rather do things like the Preliminary Challenge at Galway or see my nephew and compete at Rebecca. Stuff like that. I did 3 AECs and it was enough.

In the end, the East Coast based riders and organizers fail to recognize the quality of riders, horses, and facilities out west and thus dismiss them as worthy of hosting a national competition. There is the mistaken belief that anybody worthy of competing on the national stage must only compete on the east coast regardless of base. Tamie, Bec, James, and others proved the falseness of that logic.

9 Likes

Iā€™m in the Bay Area and I tow a BP so donā€™t drive as fast as some, for the sake of the horse and my driving record :joy: I allow 1.5x the maps time to account for stops too, so 18 hours becomes 25+ pretty easily.

I think Tamie is in a good position to say something about it right now. What if the AECs was at Woodside?! Very convenient for me for once :partying_face:

5 Likes

It comes down to two things: venues capable of hosting that are willing to put in a bid and numbers of entries. Aside from Rebecca, the numbers for anything west of the Mississippi have been lower than east of it.

4 Likes

First step would be for a facility on the west coast put in a bid to host the AEC.

6 Likes

Do the numbers matter from a purely profit standpoint for USEA or local organizations? Iā€™m not sure how the $ is divided. Couldnā€™t the event also host non-champs classes on the same weekend?

1 Like

Hosting general classes alongside the AECā€™s is an interesting idea ā€¦ has any AECā€™s done that in the past?

Some of the AECā€™s have so many hundreds of horses and entries, I donā€™t think they have the space for that.

I think the other first pre-requisite is having the facilities to house that many horses, with all of the amenities such as abundant electrical outlets and hoses.

1 Like

I think last year (MT) did offer open divisions.

2 Likes

Well the Horsepark at Woodside has over 500 show stalls so that works, as well as all the other amenities. There must be a reason why they havenā€™t put in a bid before - or if they did, USEA rejected it because theyā€™d make more money elsewhere? Again, not sure how the $ works between organizer and facility.

3 Likes

ā€œThe Rebecca Farm organizing team is also offering non-championship ā€˜festivalā€™ divisions through Preliminary, which is an exciting opportunity for many to compete alongside the championship atmosphere.ā€

2 Likes

Kentucky expects (and caps) at ~1000 horses entered in the AECs and has the facilities to do it. Not sure of other entries in previous years.

1 Like

Is the purpose of the AECs to make money for USEA or to serve the membership by providing sport? Genuine question, and they neednā€™t be mutually exclusive goals, but if number of entrants is pivotal it maybe implies money is more important than serving sport.

If the majority of the membership being on the east coast is the reason the championships is never be on the west coast, then why not split the championship as is done with YEH and FEH?

(Thereā€™s a good rundown of entries per venue/year in the links I posted above)

5 Likes

Wellā€¦ It wonā€™t ever not be about the money.

The US is so bigā€¦ Maybe itā€™s time to split the championships like you said. I canā€™t ever see a location that would work for all of the US, itā€™s just geographically too large. Iā€™m on the East coast and even something as geographically ā€œcloseā€ as KY or NC is still prohibitively expensive. I imagine there are a lot of people who face this challenge and its the real reason attendance in some of the western regions are not as high. At least in the east coast, there are high concentrations of people closeish to where the venues are.

5 Likes

I feel compelled to mention the gigantic topographical monstrosity that is in between where the AECs have been held and where they have not been held.

The elephant (or mountain range) in the room.

11 Likes

Iā€™m guessing TPTB look at it like this: do we want to host where the largest concentration of our membership is (Area III) or do we want to host where it is figuratively a ghost town?

4 Likes

Yeah I mean I get that they need to make $ but the stated purpose of the USEA is ā€œ a non-profit 501Ā©(3) educational organization committed to providing eventing enthusiasts with a competitive level suited to their individual skills.ā€ - perhaps they should rebrand as the East Coast Eventing Association :joy: and let the poor, uninhabited west coast, who somehow still managed to produce the likes of LRK3D winner Tamie Smith, have its own thing.

Iā€™m just snarking of course, but come on - we pay our dues too. If the E coast is so rich in eventing, sponsor a few competitors to make the trip East or maybe hold it on the West coast just ONCE?

Itā€™s worth noting that many of the other locations had not much more than 3-400 competitors over the years. With non-championship classes included to make up for E coasters unable to afford the trip, West coast venues would easily surpass that number.

8 Likes

I get it. The West Coast is kind of the red headed step child in the eyes of the USEAā€¦

I think itā€™d be easier to create your own org with a West Coast Vision than get USEA to change its spots.

4 Likes

Another idea: if a horse/rider combination qualifies for AEC but comes 1st or 2nd in following events, the qualification goes to the next person in that division, preventing people who routinely scoop up placings at a level from preventing others from attending AECs. Of course this means the overall quality of competitors might be perceived as lesser, but itā€™s worth thinking about.

3 Likes

Iā€™ve no doubt youā€™re right on both counts!

Tamie, are you listening? Let me know if you want a hand setting up the West Coast Eventing League :joy::thinking::partying_face:

2 Likes