Unlimited access >

Affordable Dressage Saddle/ Fitting advice? (Photos)

Wow! Thanks Kitt! I’ll definitely give them a call. :yes:

Also: can anyone tell from the photos whether my AP saddle seems to fit alright? Obviously I’ll need to have a professional look at it more closely to be sure, but what are your impressions?

[QUOTE=RockstarPony;7479613]

Half pads are only really needed if the saddle is slightly too wide and/or doesn’t provide enough wither clearance. They are in style at the moment, but if your saddle fits correctly and your mare doesn’t have an excessively sensitive back, you don’t need to get one unless you like the look of them.[/QUOTE]

Agree with everything except this. You can use a half pad with any saddle. They can replace your “standard” pad. They are not just for adjusting fit.

I have saddles with very forward flaps. I use a half pad for just about all of them. Alone.

[QUOTE=Bogie;7480441]
Agree with everything except this. You can use a half pad with any saddle. They can replace your “standard” pad. They are not just for adjusting fit.[/QUOTE]

My mare has a fairly sensitive back, and her withers are VERY sensitive (she jerks her head up when you lean forward, no matter what saddle, even bareback). Would a half pad be helpful to her??

[QUOTE=zaparaquah;7480484]
My mare has a fairly sensitive back, and her withers are VERY sensitive (she jerks her head up when you lean forward, no matter what saddle, even bareback). Would a half pad be helpful to her??[/QUOTE]

Adding some cushioning may well help, but a lot has to do with how the saddle fits. I use an ultra thinline pad with my regular pad when I foxhunt because I think it helps keep my horse happy . . . I have a friend with an older horse and the saddle fitter recommended that she use a sheepskin half pad as her horse’s back needs a bit more cushioning now. But, she had the saddle fit checked with the pads she was using.

So I guess the answer it, it depends. Just adding a half pad could make a saddle fit worse, rather than better.

The photos you posted don’t allow you to assess how your saddle fits. Keep in mind that if a saddle is bothering your horse, you may find that horse’s back is sensitive even when not wearing the saddle.

Your current saddle looks fine (assuming it fits you and the horse well) - just get a white pad to go with it.

(That is unless you like saddle shopping - I don’t!)

[QUOTE=BEARCAT;7480655]
Your current saddle looks fine (assuming it fits you and the horse well) - just get a white pad to go with it[/QUOTE]

So I have to have a white pad??

Kitt, do you find this to be true of the older Thorowgoods and Wintecs also (pre-adjustable gullet)?

[QUOTE=zaparaquah;7480778]
So I have to have a white pad??[/QUOTE]

If you want to look more the part… I think it would look great on your horse!
(And since you are talking about shelling out $700 on a saddle, I didn’t think that was too crazy of a suggestion :wink: )
Keep in mind that if you get a dressage saddle you will also have to get a new pad, girth, leathers, etc…

[QUOTE=BEARCAT;7480976]
If you want to look more the part… I think it would look great on your horse!
(And since you are talking about shelling out $700 on a saddle, I didn’t think that was too crazy of a suggestion [/QUOTE]

Can’t hurt! Guess I’ll try to find a nice white saddle pad for her.

Wow, you have received some awesome advice from the professionals. If your mare is showing signs of back pain, definitely have her saddle fit checked. Good luck in your saddle hunt.

Happy riding,
Jessie

[QUOTE=Inclined;7480941]
Kitt, do you find this to be true of the older Thorowgoods and Wintecs also (pre-adjustable gullet)?[/QUOTE]

Definitely. The older Thorowgoods wore like iron, but then, so did the older Wintecs. Nowadays, the Thorowgoods beat the Wintecs hands down in fit and quality, IMO. The Thorowgoods have two different “leg lengths” in the changeable gullets (one for lower, wider withers with a shorter leg, and one for moderate and higher withers with a longer leg), conformation specific models (standard, high wither and cob/broadback), and each has fitting features geared to their target conformation. They offer the T4, which is fully synthetic, or the T8, which is synthetic with leather seat and knee pads. The only caveat I’ll offer is that while the cob/broadback model is great for some of the broader horses, it does NOT have a hoop-shaped plate, so isn’t the best choice for the horse that needs a hoop/dome/FWB/Freedom head tree.

[QUOTE=Kitt;7481586]
Definitely. The older Thorowgoods wore like iron, but then, so did the older Wintecs.[/QUOTE]

Thank you very much, Kitt!