Unlimited access >

Affordable Dressage Saddle/ Fitting advice? (Photos)

![]( need to find a dressage saddle for my mare. I’m strongly considering synthetic or used since I have a tight budget.
I’m new to dressage but I’m hoping that I can do some Training/ First level shows with summer. I don’t need anything fancy, just something that I can compete in at low levels and that will be comfy for my mare. I’m 5’7, 150lbs and currently riding in a 16’’ all purpose Wintec.

What brands would be the best? What should I be careful of when choosing a saddle? How much should I reasonably expect to spend? And are there any clever ways to test riding saddles before buying? And also, would a half pad of some kind be useful?

This is my mare. She’s a 21 year old paint mare.
[IMG]http://i1175.photobucket.com/albums/r635/zaparaquah/ScreenShot2014-03-16at114958AM.png)

[IMG]http://i1175.photobucket.com/albums/r635/zaparaquah/52b2a1f0-28d2-46e4-bd91-fd9a451ed3b4.jpg)

You may be able to use the one you have in the lower levels, since it is an AP…lengthen your stirrups. Others will know better than me.

I hadn’t really thought of that… I’m a little concerned that it’s brown and my bridle is black, but if that won’t count against me I may very well use it.

I would lean towards used, personally, since some of the cheap synthetic saddles can put you in a strange position. For a reasonable used dressage saddle I would expect to pay around $500-$1000. The exact brand will depend on personal taste more than anything, but Karl Niedersuss and Passier are two that I’ve seen hold up with a lot of use.

If you’re not sure about a brand, try googling reviews for that model - some of the lesser-known brands aren’t known for a reason, but there’s quite a few smaller makers that make good quality saddles that just haven’t been seen by a lot of people. Those brands will often come cheaper since they’re not the ‘in’ thing.

Do you have a tack store nearby that sells saddles on consignment? We have one that lets you take multiple saddles on trial, so you can test a few and decide what fits you & your horse the best, and obviously they sell for a little cheaper than a brand new saddle. If you know any dressage or event riders, you could ask them if you could try their saddle to see if it fits, and then look for the models you like on ebay. I think it’s worth looking around for a saddle that your mare really likes since there’s so much emphasis in dressage on movement and relaxation, and having a saddle that’s uncomfortable for her can really make those difficult.

If you have a dressage trainer, it would be useful to have them critique how you ride in a few trial saddles until you know what position you’re supposed to be in. You might want to consider measuring your femur to find out your saddle size; 16" is generally on the small side for someone who’s 5’7.

Half pads are only really needed if the saddle is slightly too wide and/or doesn’t provide enough wither clearance. They are in style at the moment, but if your saddle fits correctly and your mare doesn’t have an excessively sensitive back, you don’t need to get one unless you like the look of them.

Jeez, sorry about the essay! Funny Looking and I just spent a month completely saddle-less while I looked at every single saddle on ebay, so I guess this is an issue that’s close to my heart right now. :lol:

No, thank you very much Rockstar. Haha

Judging by the photos, do you think my horse has higher withers than normal?

She’s beautiful!!

Sorry, not helpful at all :smiley:

If you are just doing this for fun at schooling shows, etc. your all purpose saddle is fine.

[QUOTE=zaparaquah;7479644]
No, thank you very much Rockstar. Haha

Judging by the photos, do you think my horse has higher withers than normal?[/QUOTE]

It’s hard to tell back shape from a picture, but no, not more than normal. Most of the Paints I’ve ridden have been quite wide & flat through the withers, although she does look a tad more thoroughbred-y and maybe a bit pointier than the average Paint. I would try everything from medium to wide tree to see what fits.

http://www.trumbullmtn.com/saddle-fitting/wither-tracings/

Learn how to do a wither/back tracing. You can send these tracings to online tack stores, even private sellers, and take them to tack shops. This will help you determine basic fit for your mare. Remember horses really tell you the truth when you ride in the saddle.

As for fitting you, your current saddle sounds small for someone of your height. Depending on how deep the seat is, a 17 seat could fit very differently. You need to think about what you are looking for in a starter dressage saddle. Deep seat, size of blocks, price range, stirrup bar placement, etc are all things to consider.

Does your horse currently go well in the Wintec? If so, you might consider one of their dressage saddles…like the Isabelle or the older Wintec Pro Dressage. Those can be had reasonably on tack trader.com or eBay or even craigslist. Older Kieffers, Passier, Stubbens can be found for reasonable prices. Look for a sound tree, solid billets, and pliable flocking. Also, Thorowgood dressage saddles are nicer English made synthetic saddles that seem to go for a song. Since your mare is older, pay attention to fitting her well as you both will benefit from it.

What is your realistic budget? Do you have a tack store to sit in some saddles? Sit in as many different ones as you can. Also, better to have a seat a little big as to one too small. Good luck in your saddle hunt.

Happy riding,
Jessie

Maybe look for a used Kieffer Wien… They can often be had for $500 or less in good shape. I loved the one I had. I’m looking for another now!

Thanks for the suggestions! She’s actually been having some arthritis issues which seems to have thrownher back out (resolving this as we speak) so… objectively, no, she’s no going well in the Wintec. But she doesn’t go any better bareback so I’m inclined to think the saddle fits reasonably well.
I have been considering a Thorowgood. They look very nice, as synthetics go.

Realistically, I shouldn’t spend any more than $700 on this saddle, especially since my horse’s rideable years are dwindling and it’s unlikely that I’ll be able to use the same saddle on the next horse I ride. I have a few consignment tack stores that i frequent, so I’ll go and browse those stores for sure. I’m hoping I’ll find a brand/model/size there that works and then I can try to find a cheaper saddle on ebay, etc.
Although I am a little wary of buying a saddle online…

AP saddle and black/brown tack will be just fine in the ring.

If I were you, I’d put your 700$ budget towards lessons. Then if your trainer believes your saddle isn’t such a good fit, have your saddle checked by a saddle fitter and start from there.

Learning how to take a tracing, take correct pictures of the back/withers/shoulders are valuable skills.

[QUOTE=alibi_18;7480100]

If I were you, I’d put your 700$ budget towards lessons. Then if your trainer believes your saddle isn’t such a good fit, have your saddle checked by a saddle fitter and start there.[/QUOTE]

I’ve already got a separate lesson budget, but I may as well save it so I can get a nicer saddle when I do eventually upgrade… Thanks!

If your tack stores have a saddle fitter, see about having them come out for a saddle fitting. Independent saddle fitters can be very helpful and might keep you from making any expensive mistakes. Is your horse at home or boarded? If boarded and others ride dressage, ask to sit in some of their saddles or sit them on your mare. Post pics of your current saddle and maybe some of the qualified saddle fitters and armchair fitters can give you feedback on saddle fit. Poorly fitted saddles can really do a number on a horse…some will let you know, but more stoic horses can suffer silently. Good luck. You do have a decent budget an older used saddle or newer synthetic.

Happy riding,
Jessie

Here are a few shots of my current saddle on her. Don’t have a good one of me on her but maybe this will help anyway…
http://s1175.photobucket.com/user/zaparaquah/library/Mobile%20Uploads

You can certainly compete in a jump or ap saddle in schooling shows. Many people do it. The judges are just looking at movement not tack.
I think your horse has an average back and a little more panel support in the front third of the saddle would be good but if your current saddle works for you and she is not going to need it much longer I would stick with what you have.

It’s not really possible to make accurate recommendations based on the photos, sorry - we really need to see a clear conformation shot of your mare in order to make an evaluation (like these: http://pantherrunsaddlery.com/?page_id=494). That said, you can certainly show Tr/1st. level in a synthetic and/or ap saddle. Thorowgood is my go-to for good quality synthetic saddles; the fit and quality is, IMO, far better than what you’ll find in a Wintec.

I’d also strongly suggest getting input from a reputable independent fitter. They’ll be able to assess you horse’s fitting needs and make recommendations on saddles in your price range that would have the best chance of suiting you both. Some will have saddles for you to try, and some may be able to source them from shops or other fitter, and some will only be able to make recommendations, but whatever your fitter recommends, always make sure you can test-ride the saddle at least 3 or 4 times under real-life conditions before you commit to buying it, or at least return it if the saddle proves unsuitable.

If you can let me know where you’re located, I’ll see if I can recommend someone. If there’s no one in your area, you can work long-distance with a shop like Equestrian Imports or Panther Run Saddlery - both have years of experience and success in remote fitting, and both offer a one-week trial policy on any saddle they have.

[QUOTE=Kitt;7480367]

If you can let me know where you’re located, I’ll see if I can recommend someone. If there’s no one in your area, you can work long-distance with a shop like Equestrian Imports or Panther Run Saddlery - both have years of experience and success in remote fitting, and both offer a one-week trial policy on any saddle they have.[/QUOTE]

I’m In Colorado, near Denver/ Boulder.

You’re in luck, as there are several very good fitters in CO:

In Denver, there’s Ellen Fitzgerald 303/903-1488

Others in CO:
Beverly Harrison in Lafayette 303/666-5364
Suzie Fletcher-Baker in Eaton 970/454-3556
Tiger Adams in Grand Junction 970/263-0101
Jen Wright in Ft. Collins 970/484-4199

I’ve dealt with them all and feel very confident in recommending them.