Unlimited access >

Afghan Hounds and Portuguese Water Dogs

Any COTHers have experience with either of these breeds? Our dogs now are 9 and 10 years old, so getting older but not old, and we have been casually talking about if we would like to get another when our current two cross the rainbow bridge.

At this point in my life and experience with dogs, I would prefer to go with a puppy from a well respected breeder vs a rescue so I have a better idea of what we are getting. Future puppy would be enrolled in puppy and obedience classes at a minimum (my other two were too).

Low dander/shedding are important on our list; the amount of grooming required isnā€™t a problem. This dog would be an adult family dog that could be on the go with us as we hike by ourselves, hike with the horse, and take road trips. I would really like something so adaptable that we only need to worry about petsitting traveling abroad. While it would likely be an ā€œonlyā€ dog, sociability with other dogs is important having had one that is highly dog reactive.

I have always loved the look of Afghan hounds, but having a hound mix now, and a mini Aussieā€¦there is such a difference between the behaviors related to hounding and herding. It is nice with the Aussie that I donā€™t have to worry about her taking off, she has always stuck close off leash or if she does run off to investigate, she is right back. I have little experience with dogs in the working group, but get the impression that prey drive is less than hounds.

Personally, I lean more towards the Afghan, but it is very much the difference in the look. The hound angle does give me some pause.

A standard poodle is also in the thought mix too. Every one I have met has been great personality wise and they seem like fun characters!

1 Like

I think of those two the PWD would be more likely to do what you want it to do without issue.

I think the hound dogs are going to be a smidge more challenging with hiking and trail riding.

This is based on my experience with hounds.

The absolute best group of barn dogs Iā€™ve ever met were poodles. Really nice dogs. Zip all interest in the horses other than to stay clear. Trotted along behind the humans or took naps nearby. Iā€™ve heard they tend to be barky as youngsters. Not Malinois barky but enough for Malinois breeders / trainers to comment on it.

2 Likes

@eightpondfarm has PWDs that do some amazing work.

1 Like

thanks for the tag.
@FjordBCRF, i have had nonstop PWDs since 1992. Though i no longer attend the Nationals, for decades i never missed one. I know a lot of breeders and will be happy to give you guidance if you want.

About the breed, they CAN be verrrry energetic. Not all of them though. Probably less than 50% nowdays. A breeder i know says that his line is like those of old except with the batteries removed. One thing they pretty much all have in common is intelligence. I currently have only 3, but when we joined our lives togetherā€¦along came our PWDs, and for many years we had nine. I work my PWDs and find that they take to work, respond to direction, like a duck to water, and are pretty much all-arounders. My dogs can work at a major disaster for FEMA, then comeback home and compete in Agility/Water trials/Obedience seamlessly. They are truly ā€˜working dogsā€™ā€¦and the energetic ones do need a job.

Iā€™ve had all coat types, curly, wavy and improper coat. Personally i like the ICs (no grooming!) but if you want non-shedding, then the curly type is an easier groom.

edit: My dogs have always gone with me whereever i go. And because of their special status i get to take them onboard flight at my feet. Into restaurants, into the bankā€¦whereever i go, any certified canine gets to go-with. I retired early, but when i did work my dog went into the office with me. Unless they knew me, and knew about him, people coming into my office never even knew he was there. But in the blink of an eye i could point him to a task and heā€™d be off like lightning. They come-with an ā€œOff and On switchā€. Most are like thisā€¦itā€™s a feature of the breed, i suppose based on being boat dogs. Oh, and they are usually quite good with other dogs, especially of their own breed.

5 Likes

PWD person here, who also loves the look of the Afgans. I will never be the right owner for a sight hound though.

I think the PWD would fit the bill for you, as would a standard poodle (both were on my list when I got my girl).

Letā€™s see, pros and cons.

Pros - smart, smart, smart - if you like training and recognize that all interaction is training, you will adore the PWD. This can also be a con for the wrong person for obvious reasons.
Velcro dog. They want to be with their people all the time. Makes off leash work easier, but if you want a dog to chill at home alone, this may not be your breed.
Worker bee. This dog wants a job. Mine will go find a lost whip and hand it to me while Iā€™m riding. Good dog! This can also be a con, because they will find a job if you donā€™t give them one, and you may not like it.
Personable as all get out. Mine loves all people and all dogs, and itā€™s really cool to watch her figure out how other dogs want to play and adjust her style accordingly. I donā€™t see any cons to this. LOL
Cute as a button - but that coat requires a lot of grooming and burdock season stinks. This can be addressed with clippers, and clipping dogs is surprisingly fun.

The one half halt I have is that they werenā€™t bred for soft mouths like poodles: they were bred to drag fishing nets etc, so they can be little land sharks as pups and need help learning to be soft.

Sheā€™s a super barn dog, super out hacking, and fun at shows. We also dabble in agility, where sheā€™s amazing.

Can you tell Iā€™m in love? Have had her a little over 4 years now. Good luck whatever you decide!

ETA the PWD community is really supportive.

3 Likes

Just an observation. Afghan Hounds became hugely popular in the UK after one won Crufts in the 1980s. Beautiful looking dogs, they were everywhere. However, they are now rarer than hens teeth - which makes me think there was something in their reputation for being hard to train and rather ā€œstupidā€.

3 Likes

Thank you so much for all of the great info!!

Everything about this describes my mini Aussie with the exception of loving other dogs. I very much enjoy all of the other good traits she brings to the table and has been a fun dog minus that. Once we got through obedience, we did some rally courses too and she seemed to have a blast.

This is good to know, looking at the AKC site I got that message as well. I think that would be ok for us provided the dog would carry all the other traits, but I do like the battery removed option haha. My mini Aussie has a battery LOL. She has a hard time gearing down to snuggle with anyoneā€¦one point for my hound! He is a cuddle bug! @eightpondfarm Are there any good sites or Facebook groups that I could join to get a passive start? I would consider getting a puppy when our other two start to slow down a little more so there is some socialization at home/someone to show the ropes etc, but that will still likely be a ways off.

It sounds like a PWD or Poodle would really foot the bill best!

2 Likes

I heard from knowledgeable breeders that Afghans should not go off leash. Sight hounds just zoom off.

3 Likes

My PWD comes from high octane lines LOL and has an off button - I installed it, but it was easy. She very much wants to do the right job, even if itā€™s chilling. One of her best friends is a mini Aussie - sheā€™s got the better off switch LOL.

:rofl:

Im not at all surprised by this; definitely a big part of my reservation having one like that currently.

This 100 times.

We had Basenjis for over 30 years; never ever trusted them off leash until they were in their mid teens and I had a chance of running them down and then never anywhere near traffic.

2 Likes

off switch activated. Did I mention that she always has to have something in her mouth? Often my slippers or socks. Pro: she delivers to hand and will go get my slippers on request. haha

9 Likes

I donā€™t have an Afghan but do have sighthounds. They are purpose bred to be independent hunters - they are not waiting for human input and prefer to make their own decisions. Theyā€™re plenty smart as you say, just not interested.
Also agree to another posterā€™s point that theyā€™re not reliable offleash. Theyā€™re so fast and prey-driven that if they take off after an animal theyā€™ll be in the next zip code before they realize it, then be lost.
I specifically picked up a non-sighthound for my barn dog. Thatā€™s what I would recommend.

8 Likes

When I was taking mine to the training school, the one trainer we worked with had show poodles. She had a younger one she was working with that was definitely barky, but it got the idea that barking didnā€™t get it anywhere and seemed to really settle in a matter of weeks. He would be tied up while she was teaching and eventually would just lay down and nap or watch quietly. Her other two were super sharp and so well behaved.

2 Likes

I used to own and show Afghan Hounds (and also bred one litter). They were fun dogs - very regal and exotic in appearance, a bit aloof in temperament but sweet and good-natured, and devoted to their ā€œfamily.ā€ They can be aristocratic one moment and goofy the next moment - the males especially can be big clowns. Many of them do have prey drive and they will chase things that move (cats, other dogs, squirrels, etc.). They tend to be somewhat independent in temperament and are sometimes difficult to train so that they are ā€œreliable,ā€ and it is not generally recommended to ever let them off leash unless you are in a fully enclosed area because they may take off on an adventure - usually at a run - and they can be miles away before they stop to think, ā€œHey, where am I?ā€ (Although my Afghan bitches were actually pretty trainable and one in particular was tops in her obedience class.)

I hope you are serious when you say grooming isnā€™t a problem, because they need to be brushed out practically every day to keep mats from forming. My show dogs required a good hour of grooming every single day (fun when you have a full-time job and 3-4 dogs to groom on a daily basis). Even if you keep them clipped down, you will need to run a pin brush through their armpits and inside of their back legs on a regular basis.

I have no experience with PWDs but they may be a better choice for hiking and to accompany you on trail rides. I would think they would be a bit more ā€œtrainableā€ and their coats are better suited to being in the ā€œgreat outdoors.ā€

3 Likes

I was thinking this too, I imagine the grooming with Afghans NOT out tromping out in the woods is time consuming enough without adding mud/burrs/who knows what else etc :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Thank you for your response. I had read that they can have that regal but clown like personality which I would very much enjoy! I do think an Afghan will likely not be our next dog of choice though. They sure are beautiful!

My parents used to have Afghan hounds and would never recommend them to a farm lifestyle. They do have the ā€œdumbā€ reputation but my parents would agree they are just exceptionally single-minded. One of their hounds killed himself when he jumped a wrought iron fence, saw a rabbit, twisted to chase and impaled himself.

Their great beauty is in their silky coats but as another poster mentioned, it is DAILY maintenance. And they are prone to hypothyroidism, which can cause coat conditions, which means your gorgeous exotic alien dog now looks like Trumpā€™s head after someone wig-snatched him.

I also imagine they are probably quite line(in)bred as they arenā€™t so popular these days.

5 Likes

I used to groom dogs way back in the day and we had a lady with 3 Afghans and boy were they pretty. And it is a good thing they are too, dumb as a box of rocks (and this was 25 yrs ago).

The lady had us groom them to look like Saluki but with pants . :woozy_face:

3 Likes

my dogs have always run along when i ride here on the farm. I take just one at a time though. One will stick aroundā€¦two or more will go off chasing.
My PWDs are all 12. So these days my partner in crime is a chocolate lab.

1 Like