Unlimited access >

After trying 7 Dressage saddles

So, I now have a lovely rescue, 8 years-old, half Arab, half Appaloosa, 14.2 H, that is short-backed and a bit downhill. My trainer and I are training him to be a dressage horse and he’s coming along very nicely, but I’m kind of fighting the used Stubben Juventus (Med/Wide tree) I bought at this point. We’ve tried a correction pad for the downhill issue but I don’t know that it’s helped much.

I’m 5’, so the short flaps on the Juventus work for me (though the stated 17" seat feels like a 16" and dang, sitting on that seat is like sitting on concrete) and the upswept panels seemed to work for his shorter back, but his body is changing. I’m having a Stubben saddle fitter out in a couple of weeks to see what can be done with the saddle I’m using, but does anyone have make/brand suggestions for me in case it’s time to ditch the Stubben?

UPDATE (In case anyone’s interested)
So, after trying 9 saddles now, the 10th was the ticket! At a Working Equitation show (where Felix got a 3rd with my trainer riding him!), a rider from California was selling a 2018 DP El Campo saddle, built for a Baroque horse. I was able to try it with him and MAGIC happened. He’s comfy, I’m comfy and all is right with the world. It was, even used, more than I wanted to spend, but given I was steeling myself for the possibility of a custom saddle, now it seems like a deal. Adjustable flex tree, generous channel, short, upswept panels and gorgeous, to boot!

1 Like

Ask to see the Stubben Artemis iI when they are there.

1 Like

I will! Thanks.

1 Like

I have a Prestige D1K (another saddle with more upswept panels) fitted with the pony panels. My Welsh Cob (14.2 hands) has an extremely short back and built like a beer keg. The saddle came with the shorter skirt too which helped. I and my pony love this saddle. The saddle is a 17 inch and gives me more than enough room (I’m used to riding in 16.5 seats but have a long femur to torso ratio).

4 Likes

If you like Schleese, they make a lot of saddles with shorter panels that are pretty easy to find used. I personally hate them.

My super short backed horse went in a Black Country Vinici in his earlier years, and then an Albion SLK after he outgrew the Black Country.

I personally like the Custom Saddlery and County fits best for me, so I tend to hunt around within those (as almost all are custom orders so options and fit vary) to find something that will work for the horse. Custom makes pony panels which are great, but depending on the model, not all that short for the really tiny ones.

2 Likes

it is not unusual that you need to reflock a saddle 2 or 3 times a year when a horse is changing its body condition through training. I personally prefer an open , flat seat rather than one that forces you into a seat. With a shorter leg it may equal your legs are being forced to a position more suited to someone 8 or 10 inches taller than you.

Be open to some of the all purpose saddles. Some may have a more open seat and shorter flap which will allow you to sit into your horse rather than on your horse.

3 Likes

I am really hoping the fitter can make this saddle work…the Juventus is a youth saddle in the Stubben line, made for young and petite riders, so I doubt it would be suitable for anyone a whole lot taller than I am. This saddle, for a dressage saddle, is not a deep one–I wouldn’t want a really deep one for exactly the reasons you state…as well, I have a right hip I’m always in negotiation with, so a shallower seat makes throwing my leg over (and getting off) easier.

1 Like

Prestige lucky - real pta to find but great petite saddle. I’m not sure if they are still being made.

Passier young star - I absolutely love mine and hate that I’m having to sell it with the retirement of my pony. They rarely pop up used but can be ordered new with some fun customization.

I found the stubben juventus restricted in the shoulder for my pony and pretty hard on my rear end. I preferred the slightly more open seat of the passier. The prestige once broken in also rode beautifully but the brand new one I sat in did pop me out of The saddle a bit.

Thank you! Both of these look very promising.

I have a brown 17" Stubben Tristan Special in bridle leather that is brown. It has their wide, 32 cm tree and half panels that make it fit wide horses. But it has gussets in the panels that will make it work or not work for your horse.

It’s in demo condition and I need to sell it as I don’t think it will ever fit myass again. PM me if you’d like pictures.

Let me see what the fitter says next week…the saddle I have is a Medium Wide and as much as I love brown saddles, I think I’ll be sticking with black as my leathers and bridle are black.