Unlimited access >

Agility people: What products can you not live without?

It’s no longer the holiday season, but unfortunately my SO’s birthday is in late-January. There’s just no rest for the weary.

He’s just getting started in agility trials with his middle-aged border collie. We’ve got a full complement of training equipment at home, but we don’t yet have a go-bag for trials built up. To that end:

• What are your must-bring items?
  • What’s worth the hype (or underhyped)?
  • What can’t you live without away from home?

Thanks!

Aluminet shades if you will be crating out of the car. Battery powered fans (ryobi is a common brand) We have a shade that goes up over the tailgate on the van to create a more shaded sitting area.

A lot depends on your trialing situation. Are most of your trials outside or indoors? Do you typically work out of a vehicle or do you crate in the facility? Are you traveling to trials and staying in hotels? Where in the country (generally) are you?

Agree on the Ryobi fans and various other accessories (but they usually go on sale in the lead up to Father’s day so it might be worth holding off till then for that).
A good soft crate or tent is really nice to have if your dog is amenable and won’t take it hamster-balling around.

For a middle aged BC, though, a Back On Track (or similar therapeutic blanket - Weatherbeeta has one, as does Schneider’s if your dog fits their large size) might be worthwhile.
My youngster says that she cannot possibly do her best without proper post‐run treats. Currently those are minnows (and yes, I do special order them for her), but your BC may have a different opinion.

Great post! I’m aiming for my first trial in the spring, I think (gulp) and trying to remember what I’ve seen at trials I’ve watched. Good chairs, though I think everyone but me has those already. I’m also a big believer in having a dedicated bag for dog school / training stuff, so I don’t forget things.

Thanks for the ideas, everyone! I like the thought of Chip in a BoT blanket - he came to us as a stray, so he’s really upgrading his life situation.

Located in TX, so most events are indoors during the majority of the year thanks to the miserable summers we have here. I’ve got a shade and set of fans ready for those rare outdoor staging event days. We haven’t gotten into the staying-in-hotels phase of trialing; there’s a facility about an hour away from us that does 40+ trials/year, so we’re starting off closeish to home.

Thanks again, and keep any ideas coming!

In that case, consider a folding wagon to move your setup into and out of the building. Load in/out is the worst, but being able to get everything moved in one trip makes it much easier!

And a good tarp/ground cloth is likely necessary if your trial site requires them. I’ve got a couple of old Monkey Mats that I really like, but they don’t seem to make them any longer. These are similar, though: https://a.co/d/iXe82GS (there’s a ton of them on Amazon, this was just the first link I grabbed). You can certainly use any old tarp, but I really like how compact this style is when it’s folded up.