Aging..

My heart swells as I read about everyone who has posted on this new forum who are so devoted to riding and staying with the passion of horses, despite their disability.

I’ve never thought about myself as “disabled” until I started reading the posts. But as I’m aging I really am. 23 years of owning a 50 acre farm. 20+ horses, little reliable/educated help, breeding and foaling babies, breeding and handling stallions, training young, frisky horses have taken their toll on my body.

With two torn rotator cuffs, rotten knees (one ACL rupture), old horse injuries (broken foot, fingers, fractured jaw, SI injury, etc…the list goes on)…I can feel them all now that I’m older with chronic arthritic pain in any or all of them on any given day. :no: Every day.

BUT…my disability has been self-imposed. Sheerly wear and tear for the choices I have made.

Many posting here may be disabled, but surely not by choice. I’m humbled and inspired to stop feel sorry for myself because I can’t do things as well as I used to do!:slight_smile:

Thanks, COTH, for starting this forum so those who have “limitations” may come out of the closet (including me…:lol:).

Hopefully, some who post on the other riding forums will lurk here and will stop whining and criticizing others with brutal posts to those who are only seeking help with their riding inadequacies. :slight_smile:

Cheers!

Remember the Monty Python Motto

I’m Not Dead Yet!!!:lol::lol::lol:

:lol::lol:

Aging in itself won’t disable anyone, it is what doesn’t work right that will, at any age.
So, in a way, those of us that think we don’t function as well is because we are getting old, well, no, not really, it is what is not working properly that is slowing us down.
In that sense, we are somewhat handicapped, if not in the real sense of the world, that is someone handicapped with severe impediments to normal function.

[QUOTE=Bluey;4435516]
Aging in itself won’t disable anyone, it is what doesn’t work right that will, at any age.[/QUOTE]

Isn’t that the truth? :yes:

Though it does seem that every moment that passes is another opportunity for some of us to “break” our parts :lol:

Sooo, at age 55, I should don my helmet, foist on my vest, set a couple gin and tonics out by the round pen, and back my 1300 lb. Perch X? :smiley:
“D*mn the torpedoes, full speed ahead” ???
Well, she does follow me around wanting more de-worming paste, ignores the Cattle Dog mix trying to herd her, and has not balked at any bomb-proofing scenarios I have introduced so far (knock on wood:D).

Re Monty Python—
No, but the parrot is…:lol:
“It Is No More!”

[QUOTE=3dogfarm;4441334]
Sooo, at age 55, I should don my helmet, foist on my vest, set a couple gin and tonics out by the round pen, and back my 1300 lb. Perch X? :smiley:
“D*mn the torpedoes, full speed ahead” ???
Well, she does follow me around wanting more de-worming paste, ignores the Cattle Dog mix trying to herd her, and has not balked at any bomb-proofing scenarios I have introduced so far (knock on wood:D).[/QUOTE]

I see my post was not clear enough.
I meant that disabilities generally come from other than just age.

Now, if we are talking about being as strong and flexible and immortal as when we were 20, no, that we are less and less, as the years pass.
Not expecting to be able to ride a wild one as well I don’t consider a disability, just good judgement.:wink:
On the other hand, as we get older, we have the experience to keep a wild one from acting up honed to a higher degree than the very young have.:smiley:

[QUOTE=whicker;4434040]
I’m Not Dead Yet!!!:lol::lol::lol:[/QUOTE]

He’s not dead, he’s restin’!

Seriously - I’ve got a friend who was recently injured in a hunting accident. Spinal trauma. She’s in rehab and will be for a while.

Makes my aches and pains and little breaks inconsequential.

Hats off to those dealing with severe injuries, illnesses or disabilities, and are figuring out ways to keep involved with or riding/driving horses.

You have my respect.

JSwan, tell us about the first aid clinic, please!

Over on the hunting forum JSwan posted a terrific PSA thread. I hope that she will include us in the future clinic info as it develops. Please check out the trhread in the meantime. ( I have GOT to Learn how to link and edit on Coth, ARGH!!)

Well - plans aren’t final yet mostly because I’m flitting in and out of the house all the time.

But I think what we worked out is that we’re going to set up some informal (no certification) first aid training. Stuff riders encounter while trail riding or hunting.

Then maybe a break and then 2nd session on what to do for the horse.

My working title for the clinic is: “101 Uses for a Stock Tie”. :wink: But this isn’t limited to foxhunters.

I’d be happy to post details as I actually DO something about setting it up -tentatively planned for January 2010 in the Piedmont area of Virginia.

Thanks, Jswan! The thread suggests indentification and directions for horse, rider and truck/trailer in event of accident. Jswan had someone fall in the hunt field and had to figure out what to do with the horse and get it to a safe place. The rider needed 911 and wasn’t in a position to talk. Occasionally, there is someone hunting who has some first aid training or better, but it is much better if you know what to do if there isn’t anyone to ask in those first moments.

JSwan, about a million years ago when I was in the British Pony Club, we actually learned how to use a stock tie in our first aid. We also learned that this was the original reason for carrying a stock tie- a real one ( not the pre tied crap) can easily be fashioned into an arm sling, a collarbone brace, and with some sturdy sticks, a splint for a broken leg or arm, not to mention it makes a grand tourniquet, a good bandage and can be used to fix broken strapping and leather goods, an emergency halter or a white flag for when you give up to the enemy ( which for me would be old age and infirmity). 101 uses indeed!