Unlimited access >

Air vests

I know that air vests are controversial here, but I’m interested in getting one because I am a dumb consumer who hopes to move up to Training next year and am old enough to know better. :grimacing:

There are quite a few models out there now, from quite a few companies:

Point Two
Hit Air
Helite
FreeJump
Cavalleria Toscana
Horse Pilot
Seaver
etc.

Since they start at around $500 and are often a lot more, can anyone recommend one or the other before I spend the money?

What about ones that perform well in hot weather? Obviously I’m pairing this with a traditional body protector so adding another layer on a hot day is going to be murder…

1 Like

I have a point two from the early days (when that and hit air were really the only options), I don’t find it adds heat since it’s fairly loose (airbags expand inward so the vest itself fits loose when uninflated). I did fall in it a few times and I do feel like it hurt less, whatever that anecdata is worth. It has really good coverage neck to hips. I can’t speak to any of the newer styles, I haven’t evented in a few years and haven’t really seen/tried anything else.

I have a Seaver. I got it for cheap from overseas and I love it. The canister gets in my way sometimes, but most of the time I don’t even notice I have it on. It is super light and I feel very safe in it.

Sadly there is no international air vest certification standard. So there is no way to know how well the air vest will protect you.

The French have come up with their own standard (NF certification (S72-800:2021)) and some of the French air vest companies are starting to get certified under it.

For the past 4 years, I have ridden in a Point Two hunter. I don’t do cross country so I don’t have to wear a hard shell underneath. I agree that adding an airvest over a hard shell will not change how hot the hard shell will be.

Since you are eventing, there are fewer options to choose from. Most of the new vests (Horse Pilot, Freejump, Seaver) are aimed at the jumper world and are meant to be worn by themselves.

The original companies making air vests (Point Two, HitAir, Helite) started off in the eventing world so their vests are made to be worn over a hard shell.

I would also recommend that you find a company that will service their air vest. Since it is a mechanical device you want to make sure that it is checked regularly. One of the big reason I went with Point Two is that they do service their vests, so I know that the manufacturer has checked it and it is in a perfect operational state. In addition they have offices in the USofA so I can have my vest serviced quickly.

Good luck and let us know what you decide on.

2 Likes

Following -

Looking to start riding at eventing barn after a break from riding only very sporadically in last 3 years (30s AA) and only having ridden jumpers as an adult. Was a dressage junior. XC makes me nervous and I’d like to know my options re: air vests. Will probably stick to combined tests LOL.

Some para showjumpers I know have Horse Pilot & Helite ones which they really seem to like / recommend. I have a visual disability so I tend to look at what other para riders use…

I have the Hit Air because it fits my super short torso better than others like the Point 2 that are so long, I’d be sitting on it. Others have also suggested that it feels less restrictive after inflation than Point 2, and I certainly haven’t not found it to make me feel like it’s hard to breathe after setting it off!

I live in a hot climate and it adds no significant heat. I wear mine over my body protector when jumping and by itself when riding over uneven terrain faster than a walk and I barely notice it, even in the dead of summer.

While it is obviously anecdotal “evidence”, I got one after watching an upper level rider literally bounce off the ground after a fairly nasty fall caused by a stop (not a rotational fall). I have had a couple of falls with it on and have definitely had less soreness and bruises afterwards. I have also watched my horse’s hoof bounce off it as he went to stand up during a fall where we both hit the ground, and it didn’t even cause a bruise, while a friend had a very similar event during a fall with just a body protector and significant bruising and potential internal bleeding.

1 Like

The researchers at VT who just did the helmet performance/safety study said this week on a Clubhouse talk that they have started a study of air vests. You can listen to the discussion on Clubhouse.com. It’s on the Hampton Classic rooms.

4 Likes

That is good to hear. I’ve heard they were looking into it or wanted to do an air vest study. But that takes money so we’ll see. There was big support from the USEF and Mars Equestrian for the helmet study. I will keep my eye out for any request of support for the air vest study.