Unlimited access >

Albion saddles?

Anyone have a jump saddle made by them? Good quality, nice ride? Or not so much? True to size?
TIA

I have twice bought an Albion K2 jump saddle (bought it for a horse, sold the horse so sold the saddle, then was delighted [sarcasm] to learn the new replacement horse also needed the exact same saddle with the same specs as the one I had sold at a loss sigh).

I found it to be on the generous side of true-to-size. I ride in a 17.5 in my Black Country, Albion, Jaguar, and Ideal saddles. I would say the Albion is a smidge larger for the rider’s body than the others but not a whole or half size larger. I found it to run consistent to the other British saddles listed above in terms of fit to the horse.

It’s sturdy and looks nice enough. The leather cannot compare to the French saddles at double the price point-- but then again, it is half the price. I think the leather and features on my BC saddle are the nicest of the saddles I own. The Albion is second nicest. Its good quality and holds up well to daily use. It’s never going to be the nicest or the crummiest saddle around-- it’s a mid level saddle and it was priced that way.

Some of the bells and whistles on it skew more dressage/eventer than hunter. There are 4 billets and the way they’re attached is a bit different than your traditional hunter saddle. The Albion brown is more of a dark havanna without red that eventers like more whereas the hunters (including me) prefer the slightly lighter and more red-tinged version of brown. They came with big blocks. I had my second one custom ordered with velcro blocks and proceeded to just take them off (and, probably, lose them). It doesn’t have the French style recessed stirrup bars but that’s also why it doesn’t press right into my horse’s spine :wink: It doesn’t look or ride like a French saddle and it’s not one. It looks and feels like a British saddle. They’re a little boxier and heavier than their French comparators. The K2 is no different. BC is a little more clued in to how to make a British saddle look/feel like a French one than Albion is. This is an unabashedly British saddle.

I was happy enough to buy it twice. The horse likes it. It’s wool flocked and can be adjusted. It’s good quality for the cost. Do I want to bring it home and sleep in the bed with it? No. But it’s absolutely worth what it costs if a fitter thinks it’s the way to go for your horse.

4 Likes

Wow! Thx for your thoughtful response!

I have an Albion Kontrol and I LOVE it. My mom has had both an Albion Kontact (I might have loved more than my Kontact) and a K2 (don’t love, but she does). They are really well made with thicker leather that will last forever versus the really sticky calf skin that tends to wear through on French saddles. I love that they are wool flocked and so far, mine has fit all 3 of the horses I’ve had over the last year or two. Definitely a well made, quality saddle.

1 Like

I have an older Kontrol (at least 12yo, possibly more) - it’s not my favourite saddle. It’s much more of a half seat and definitely I notice that high cantle over bigger fences.

On the plus side it’s pretty flexible in terms of fit and it’s worn like iron.

I tried a K2 and hated it - far too GP-like.