Aleve Direct Therapy TENS

Oooh, look something new & kewl and maybe useful for us. An over-the-counter TENS unit without wires and no prescription needed.

I used to have a TENS but eventually sold it to someone. It worked fairly well but I did find the wires and set up too annoying to stay with it.

https://www.aleve.com/aleve-direct-therapy/

It appears to be about $50. I think I need to get one. (Or is it not proven. ;))

I was hoping it would be available on Amazon Prime. It isn’t, it is on Amazon Fresh. (So, I guess they came up with Amazon Fresh to make you buy another subscription, as something like this would have been previously available on Amazon Prime. Eeeesh.)

I wouldn’t buy it because it doesn’t look like it would be very customizable in where you put the pads and I need to be able to place them exactly where I need them. Like take one off and move it over a billionth of an inch and that does the trick. That said, I don’t think I would have survived the past 6 weeks without mine. Mine holds a charge for about 45 hours of use and I have charged it three times in the past couple of weeks. For a while there I was wearing it while running it almost full blast about 15 hours per day.

Are any TENS units RX only??

I bought this one:

http://www.lgmedsupply.com/lgdilcdteunw.html

No complaints. I agree with Laurie that the wires and ability to fine-tune the placement is important. But if you REALLY don’t want wires, I’d do this instead and save the dough:

http://www.lgmedsupply.com/miwitecoun.html

It is in Wal Mart if that helps, no idea how well it works.

This similar device works with WINS instead of TENS. Supposedly WINS is more powerful. It’s really helped with my SI joint pain.

https://www.quellrelief.com/

More expensive than the Aleve one, but placement doesn’t matter (you wear it on your leg and it blocks nerve signals throughout your body).

My husband swears by hi Icy Hot tens unit. We actually have three because he used to forget them when traveling. So now one lives in the car, one in the house and one at the office.

[QUOTE=Laurierace;8790326]
I wouldn’t buy it because it doesn’t look like it would be very customizable in where you put the pads and I need to be able to place them exactly where I need them. Like take one off and move it over a billionth of an inch and that does the trick. That said, I don’t think I would have survived the past 6 weeks without mine. Mine holds a charge for about 45 hours of use and I have charged it three times in the past couple of weeks. For a while there I was wearing it while running it almost full blast about 15 hours per day.[/QUOTE]

Mind if I ask the brand/model you have?

Mine is a Magic Massage and the model name is New Ultra. I got it at a Horse Expo. It was one of those things where it was $300, then on sale for $200, then buy one get one free for $200, then eventually one for $100. It was worth every penny of the $100 but not the other prices because you can order one like Simkie’s which looks basically the same. I liked that I was getting it right then instead of ordering one. All I need is to stop the muscle from spasming which this does very well if I hit the right spots.

[QUOTE=ArabDiva;8791247]
This similar device works with WINS instead of TENS. Supposedly WINS is more powerful. It’s really helped with my SI joint pain.

https://www.quellrelief.com/

More expensive than the Aleve one, but placement doesn’t matter (you wear it on your leg and it blocks nerve signals throughout your body).[/QUOTE]
That looks interesting! I bought one of those things they advertise on tv as taking away back pain that you wear in the same spot and it did nothing for me but it was just a wrap as opposed to something electronic.

[QUOTE=Laurierace;8791565]
Mine is a Magic Massage and the model name is New Ultra. I got it at a Horse Expo. It was one of those things where it was $300, then on sale for $200, then buy one get one free for $200, then eventually one for $100. It was worth every penny of the $100 but not the other prices because you can order one like Simkie’s which looks basically the same. I liked that I was getting it right then instead of ordering one. All I need is to stop the muscle from spasming which this does very well if I hit the right spots.[/QUOTE]

Thank You!!

So with the ones you liked about, you wear just two pads and wires at a time?

The one I had bought about five years ago, from LG Medical, had you wear 4 pads & wires at a time. It had good ratings but the 4 pads and wires were just cumbersome & it would come appart if I moved off the couch. I had bought the electrolyte spray(?) to use with it and that was pretty effective, though.

I think I should try a different one. Summer always makes the neuropathy and paresthesias worse, it seems. I guess it is the humidity. Is it the same way for you?

The unit I have from LG has four leads. You can use two or four. If you just want to use two, you pull the second second set of leads out of the unit, or just don’t energize them.

Totally not a big deal to use only two leads. I’ve not had any issues moving around with the unit, either carrying it around or shoving it in my pocket.

Thanks Simkie! I thought awhile ago they were prescription only or was that mainly a prescription to try to get insurance to cover it?

[QUOTE=Simkie;8793319]
The unit I have from LG has four leads. You can use two or four. If you just want to use two, you pull the second second set of leads out of the unit, or just don’t energize them.

Totally not a big deal to use only two leads. I’ve not had any issues moving around with the unit, either carrying it around or shoving it in my pocket.[/QUOTE]

Same with mine. My second wire isn’t working anymore so I only have the one wire with two leads but it is ok. Most of the time I would only use the one wire anyway. I will replace the second one at some point though, it truly is a life saver for me. I put it in my pocket and go on with my day. I think people just think that it is earbud wires hanging out of my pocket.

Excuse my ignorance, but is this something you could use on your horse?

I would say no. The contact pads have to have solid electrical contact with skin and are gooey. The sensation is also odd and a horse might find that unpleasant.

[QUOTE=Hermein;8794967]
Excuse my ignorance, but is this something you could use on your horse?[/QUOTE]
There is something similar marketed for humans and horses. “microleif”. It has a much smaller voltage and is supposed to influence cell membranes.
http://microlief.com/

I used a TENS on my racehorses all the time. The pads were a little different and if I remember correctly we used ultrasound gel underneath.