Alexander technique

Anyone have experience Roth this? I have had two sessions on posture and alignments and I swear it’s like dressage training for humans

I was seeking help,with asymmetry problems and I think the sessions focusing in freeing the neck, using the core are helping

I’ve never done Alexander but I did Feldenkrais which is another body work methodology for close to 10 years. Made a world of difference for me :slight_smile:

Years ago I did some clinics called “Alexander Technique with and without the horse” with an Alexander Technique instructor and my dressage instructor. It was phenomenal. I’d do it again if I could but, well, you know- $$$$$.

These were the clinics.
http://www.ati-net.com/articles/dm-lorna.php

Alexander technique is a big part of Centered Riding thanks to the incredible Sally Swift. It’s worth reading either (or both) of her books, Centered Riding and Centered Riding 2. I’ve done a lot of CR work over the years, including clinics and a couple of lessons with Susan Harris. Go to CenteredRiding.org to find an instructor.

Read the books years ago so it’s worth going back for a review. Lots of references on the Mary wanless work as well

The Akexander teacher I found mostly works with musicians from the local symphony but told me that part of her training was working with clients in saddles

I’m hoping it’s the same thing I did with my physical therapist years ago after a bad car accident. If it’s the alignment with the spinal manipulation etc, it was AMAZING. I worked with a P.T. who was a former pro ballerina at Beth Isreal Hospital and although it was 30+ years ago I still try to stretch out a bit using my beat up handouts from my original sessions.
I wish it was offered more and covered by insurance but such is the luck. Great form of spinal manipulation and stretching.

I agree… I’ve had several riding insights due to applying alexander terms to my position. I think it’s like dressage for humans

think it’s like dressage for humans I like this!:slight_smile: It has more to do withusing the riders’ brain to affect change in the body, human and equine intended to take the pain and musculoskeletal effort:mad: out of riding:yes:

I echo what Scruffy said. I love it, and didn’t keep up because of money. Also, I think it is a valuable education for anyone, but I was doing it specifically for my riding, and I no longer ride. But I think it is brilliant.

My DH’s cousin is a renowned AT practitioner, he teaches it at Yale. Of course I am a big fan. I think it is incredibly useful for riders, and not just those with injuries. He mostly uses it for actors and singers but it is enormously transferable for sports because body awareness is a key part of everything we do. I consider AT “crosstraining.”

I found a really good Alexander technique Workbook–that’s the title. It’s by Brennan and has been printed in 11 additions. Soft paperback and not very expensive. Really good if you’ve had some lessons