Unlimited access >

All Purpose Saddle recommendations

Hello all!
Currently riding in a dressage saddle (10 years) and before that a hard core hunter rider. I want to start jumping again but also continue with my dressage riding. I haven’t shown in years and don’t plan on doing it anytime soon. Thought I might go the all purpose route. Any advice would be great. Not looking to spend a lot of cash. Just a nice enough saddle to poke around on about 3 days a week.
thanks,
gb

I had a County Eventer that worked well for me and our part-boarder. She jumped around 3’, and I had lower level dressage lessons.
I bought the saddle used and it fit my horse perfectly. The strangest thing is that it was comfortable for both of us: I’m 5’2" and all belly, she’s 5’11"and all legs.
There are a few used ones out there. If you find one that fits your horse, definitely try it!

1 Like

I have an Albion K2 which is so comfortable and really helps with postion and stability

I rode for eons in a Stubben Siegfried and loved it. Even clinicians who gave the old “all purpose is no purpose” speech to other riders never commented on mine. But for lower level D especially you can just use a jump saddle - I did all 3 phases in a Beval Natural for years when my D saddle didn’t fit my horse, and was happy enough that I didn’t feel the need to shop for another. Would never have sold that saddle if my horse hadn’t outgrown it. I also often do D in my current jump saddle (Antares - maybe more than you want to spend). Can you go to a store with consignment and sit in a lot of different saddles to see what you like?

I have a Black Country GP Eventer - comfortable to ride in, feel like it puts me in the right position, and has been a decent fit on several differently shaped horses.

I second this. It’s too bad Country stopped making them.

1 Like

I usually don’t like all purpose saddles, but I had a crosby olympia a while back that I thought had a good balance for both flatwork and low level jumping

oops, didn’t realize I was commenting on an older thread