Unlimited access >

all the negative toulouse reviews are true

Okay so saddle shopping and have a good sized budget and found one hadn’t heard of them but sat in it and was like very comfy. Sat it on my horse another respectable fit. So read a few reviews kinda mixed but mostly a cheaper saddle. Well I figured I’ll ride in it and we will go from there. Put my girth on it, wrapped my leathers cautiously, and got ready to tighten it up. My girth is a well made and has rollers on the buckle but completely scratched the billets. Didn’t even bother to ride in it. Saddles aren’t worth $100 much less their price tag. Shoddy workmanship and cheap material I would take the old wintecs (my first saddle when they came in Burgundy, yellow, and blue - had a blue one my friend still rides in). I think they have come a long way and even though they are still a cheaper saddle. Durable to a reasonable degree and at least don’t scrape first time you do that. I don’t even know what to say except don’t even consider them !

Well, there are some many well made used saddles that you can find for $600-$900 like Kieffers, Countys, some Albions, Niedersuss etc. I 100% prefer a quality used saddle over a “cheap” newer one.

I agree with NJRider. I even managed to buy a hardly used Vega jump for $1000 this year. You just have to look.

I still stand by my toulouse. Granted, it is an older model but I am thrilled with the workmanship and it fits my mare beautifully. I got it for well under $500 used and I think it is very comparable to other used saddles in that range. Sorry you had a negative experience.

I can’t comment on their saddle workmanship but can on their girths. I bought one last year through Dover and had to replace it at less than 1 year old. I take really good care of my tack…clean it after every ride, stored in temperature controlled tack room, etc. Within 6 months it started cracking and the leather got super hard. I did like the hardware, just not the leather quality. Ended up coughing up the extra money for a Passier, which will be cheaper in the long run as it should last me years, if not a lifetime.

FWIW I know there are some really high-end saddles that scratch very easily. I can see why you’d be concerned about scratching up a demo saddle, but if I liked the saddle otherwise, that wouldn’t be a deal breaker for me.

[QUOTE=GraceLikeRain;7200256]
I still stand by my toulouse. Granted, it is an older model but I am thrilled with the workmanship and it fits my mare beautifully. I got it for well under $500 used and I think it is very comparable to other used saddles in that range. Sorry you had a negative experience.[/QUOTE]

Well I love mine. I have had Albions, County’s, Wintecs, a Dover and a Duett before my Toulouse Marianne. It is nicer that the Duett and seems as nice as the Albion. I have no complaints and the saddle fits me and my hard to fit horse.

Sorry you had a bad experience.

[QUOTE=fire_911medic;7200145]
Okay so saddle shopping and have a good sized budget and found one hadn’t heard of them but sat in it and was like very comfy. Sat it on my horse another respectable fit. So read a few reviews kinda mixed but mostly a cheaper saddle. Well I figured I’ll ride in it and we will go from there. Put my girth on it, wrapped my leathers cautiously, and got ready to tighten it up. My girth is a well made and has rollers on the buckle but completely scratched the billets. Didn’t even bother to ride in it. Saddles aren’t worth $100 much less their price tag. Shoddy workmanship and cheap material I would take the old wintecs (my first saddle when they came in Burgundy, yellow, and blue - had a blue one my friend still rides in). I think they have come a long way and even though they are still a cheaper saddle. Durable to a reasonable degree and at least don’t scrape first time you do that. I don’t even know what to say except don’t even consider them ![/QUOTE]

Ouch!

I have the Annice Genesis and really like it. I had to oil the HELL out of the billets and the billet guards but it’s been comfortable from day one and fits many different horses.