Unlimited access >

All-weather sacrifice paddock footing

So I have two blue stone / stone dust sacrifice paddocks that I love. But cleaning them can be a bit challenging. I loose more blue stone than I’d like in cleaning them and I find it can be harsh on their feet (both abrasive and hard). I have thought about adding some sand to the top of of one of the paddocks - may be an inch… My hope was that it would help with cleaning - ie might be easier to pick / sift through, and it would be a bit softer (although I know it’s still abrasive in it’s own way). I obviously want to avoid mud, so I’m not sure which footing would allow the least amount of organic material to mix in… Any thoughts on using sand in a sacrifice paddock???

My 4 stalls open to sacrifice paddocks. Originally the sacrifice paddocks were mud and the fellow that did my excavation brought in # 2 stone and stone dust for about the first 20-30’ away from the stall doors(not the entire paddocks). The stone dust wasn’t hard on their hooves but I usually had to replenish it every year because I used a snowblower to blow the deep snow away and usually got down into the stonedust layer on top. I also used to have a pile of sand for the horses to roll in rather than have them roll in the muddy part of the paddocks and cleaning the manure off the sandy areas wasn’t a problem, but it also wasn’t a problem on stone dust either unless the manure froze solid, then it was a bit harder to pick up.

In other words, I would say yes your idea on sand should be OK especially since you’re in a milder climate than I am. The ONLY problem I could see with sand would be if the area where you put hay has sand around it, you could be opening up the probability of sand colic to your horses.

Thanks for the info Sue!
And I hear ya with the concern of sand colic. I use a hay hut and under the hay hut I have mats which extend about two feet past it on the outside (so their front feet and any dropped hay is caught on the mats) - so hopefully that would help with that. I also have heard that the horses prefer the sand, especially to urinate on, as it prevents some splashing. And of course it’s more comfy to sleep on.
It’s funny… I have ths sacrifice areas to prevent mud and protect my pastures… but sometimes I’m surprised (especially during the really wet seasons) at how sloppy my stone dust can get. I wonder if it’s the “dust” part or if its from some of the left over organic material…

It’s rock dust, it’ll get a little sloppy when wet. I think the sand would probably work. Maybe a river sand rather than a manufactured sand, wouldn’t break down into dust as much. Ideally, I think something like a 1/4" chip like we have here, or even a 1/4" pea gravel would work even better, but you’ll lose some every time you pick manure and it would probably be more expensive than sand.

I just renew my “screenings” (not sure what term would be used in VA for the angular, tiny gravel pieces I have) every few years, but this year I’m putting in a sand pile for the old boys to flop in. I feed hay on mats under the barn overhang, so not worried about sand ingestion. You will lose sand at about the same rate you lost gravel though. Every poop will pick some up, unfortunately. I just budget for replacement footing about every 3-4 years. I have 6 inches of packed footing in my paddock.

Thanks for the additional feedback Mosey and Calvin! Very helpful!

I agree, the rock dust can get sloppy when really wet. I’d say the majority of the year, it’s great… but there are a few really wet weeks where it’s sloppy - although still better than mud!

I know what you mean Calvincrowe with “screenings”. And we do have a budget for replacement foot. As I explain to my non-horsey husband… it’s sort of like a giant litterbox… and we need to add new “litter” every now and than… But I’m liking what you all are saying about the sand! I might add some, even if it’s just in part of the paddock.