Unlimited access >

Alternatives to halters?

My barn insists on turning out with halters on. Sigh. Besides this being, IMO, quite dangerous it also causes my grey horse to get both rubs and dye marks from the clip on his cheek.

To deal with these issues I buy the cheapest, crapiest, single stitched Indian leather halter I can find in hopes it’s easy to break if needed and I pad it up with expensive fleece. Now he is being turned out next to a young mouthy horse who likes to tear off his fuzzies every damn day.

So I’m at a loss now of what to do. Does anyone have a good suggestion for something I can use instead? I should tell you my horse is extremely easy to catch and a toddler could lead him safely with a piece of string.

I was considering a neck collar maybe like some brood mares wear… Or I was also thinking about seeing if I could convince the barn to put on and off a grooming halter… But I doubt they’d go for it. So then I was even thinking, and don’t laugh, about felting him a halter but I’m not entirely sure that felt would break easily. And I guess I’d have to make him many since the young horse will probably continue to rip them apart.

I’d love to hear any other ideas. He got some cuts on his face the other day from this happening and it’s really not ok. I hesitate to ask that he be turned out in another paddock because I don’t want his turn out time to be jeopardized.

There are a number of different brands and styles of breakaway halters. The nylon ones at least won’t leave dye marks, although there may be nothing you can do about the rubs if your horse is really that sensitive.

4 Likes

I know someone who uses the neck collar for turnout because her horse has nerve issues with his face and can’t wear a regular halter for long periods of time. (Horse is just a buddy/pet and not ridden.) It seems to work fine.

I have also worked at a barn that just uses neck ropes to turn in/out (similar to this: https://www.bigdweb.com/product/code/1951R.do?gclid=Cj0KCQiA47GNBhDrARIsAKfZ2rB7gg-bU9Fk6ulaqDF40dlJBQdaw6HN3apiOTnqlWR7R7Zg0AapmjQaAoguEALw_wcB) so there’s generally no messing with halters at all unless there happens to be a horse that’s not good to lead. If leaving the halters on is just about ease/time saving for the staff, maybe using this could be an option?

I’d do a neck collar but tie it closed with a piece of baling twine, so if it gets caught on something it will just rip off.

3 Likes

I love these halters!! My mare was getting the worst rubs in the trailer and nothing else was working. These have been great. The braided material is super soft and they are very light in weight and sort of dainty so they don’t rub. Every piece is breakaway so even though it’s not leather I would feel comfortable turning out in it. (Come with replacements so you can fix it several times yourself).

1 Like

Instead of fuzzies, wrap the halter in flannel.

Buy a sheet of flannel or use an old flannel wrap. Cut it into strips about 2’ long and 1 or 2” in wide. Then wrap each strip around the parts of the halter: start near the metal at the end of something like the noseband, wrap once (soft side in) and secure with electrical tape, then keep wrapping until you reach the other end, cut off excess and secure with electrical tape.

For the life of me I can’t find a picture of this, but it’s really common at the racetrack. It stays on better than fuzzies, plus it stays cleaner. I wrap my grazing muzzles (but can’t seem to find a pic at the moment). With electricial tape, you can even coordinate with your favorite colors. I usually only have to do the top of the nose band, the cheek pieces, and the crown piece. The throat latch and bottom pieces of the nose and aren’t usually a problem.

Buy a low quality leather halter with single stitching, or a very cheap breakaway halter with a flimsy, thin leather crown piece. Sometimes it’s harder to find a cheap, low quality halter than it is to find a strong one, haha. But we have a lot of Amish in my area and while the true leather makers have excellent products, there are often a lot of low quality leather products made by people who don’t do it for a living.

I probably own more grooming halters than anyone on the planet. I love them for leading from point a to point b, for hanging on the gate, etc. But I don’t think they will work for this purpose because they come off too easily when turned out.

4 Likes

The problem with breakaway halters is that they break! I had an older gelding who would put his head down, put his foot in the chin and pop them off. They would last about 20 minutes each.

If the other horse is playing bitey face, the halters might be ripped off often, which will get old very quick. The fuses aren’t expensive but it’s a pain to go find the halter (in the mud, snow, etc) and piece them back together.

I’d probably go with the neck collar if the barn will allow it. But, if they are insisting on halters, will they?

1 Like

without having seen one of these, I believe if needed the rivets if they are too resistant could be replaced with nylon Chicago screws. There are many applications in my industry where we have to have breakaway features, we most often use a nylon bolt/nut as these can be secured and hold but will break away under stress

The fuzzies are $50 a set. Halter is $25. And finding it in the field is their problem, not mine to be blunt.

2 Likes

This (wrapping with flannel) sounds promising. I may try it. Thanks! Although it probably gets waterlogged if it rains…

Check out the Rambo Field Safe halter. I bought three of them for trailering (I added fuzzies), and I absolutely love them.

I have an arabian mare who has very thin skin. I wrap her bosal and her halter with thick layers of vet wrap. It’s cushy and cheap and replaceable when it gets too grimy.

Two Horse Tack will custom make a thin leather halter for you. I’ll bet you could even get a 1/2 one if you wanted. I have a couple of 3/4 inch wide leather halters. I would suggest stainless steel hardware (and they have that…rings and all)

I don’t really understand your point. It’s your money. So, I don’t think breakaway halters would be an ideal solution if they continually have to be repaired. And, I suppose, while you might not have to go find them, if the barn has to retrieve a halter every time they need to get your horse, they will probably request a different solution.

Personally I agree that they shouldn’t be wearing them at all, and a sturdy halter should just be left on the paddock gate. But if that’s not what they will allow, I’d opt for the neck collar, if that will be sufficient for them.

1 Like

It really doesn’t get very waterloggged. Not nearly as bad as fleece fuzzies. It gets damp, sure, but not much worse than a regular nylon halter on its own. It’s a nonissue for me with my grazing muzzles in the rain.

I think you need to take a different approach, if the barn insists on turning out in a halter (rather than it being your preference) then they need to be responsible for making sure your horse has appropriate field mates. I’d be looking to get the other horse moved in to another field.

Just reread your post and they are next to each other, another option FOR THE BARN is to put a double row of fencing between them so the other horse can’t reach over that far.

1 Like

A neck collar might also work I think the only thing I’m hesitant about is if it gets stuck in the neck and could strangle him? Maybe if I found something that was easily broken.

I can also look into the neck rope thing someone posted above. Im at a dressage barn so I’m not sure how they’ll feel about it but he is insanely easy to lead.

It doesn’t hurt to try the flannel idea either. Thanks everyone for all the suggestions.

I could ask about them putting up maybe some electric over the fence at least.

1 Like

Why are you spending $50 on a set of fuzzies? Buy these:
https://www.doversaddlery.com/finntack-noseband-fleece-cover/p/X1-44065/

This is one situation where I wouldn’t be buying cheap leather halters. You want a light, flexible, good quality leather halter for turnout duty. Pair it with one of those fuzzies on the nose, and on the crown, and you should be good.

Nylon gives the worst rubs, IME.

I use a (safety orange, reflective,) neck collar with a breakaway from Distance Depot.

Here is a much cheaper one that came up in a search:
https://www.twohorsetack.com/p-2091-turnout-neck-collar-with-leather-breakaway-for-horses-made-from-beta-biothane.aspx

2 Likes

The halter is leather. I get real fleece because it’s more breathable in the summer than synthetic.

I’d try having a fly mask on under the halter. One of the sleezy-fitting types.

2 Likes