Unlimited access >

Am I Being Realistic? (In today's market) *CP*

Figured this might be better suited for the H/J forum, my apologies for the cross post!

Hi all! I’ve noticed that there’s been a couple of other threads regarding this topic but nothing super recent, so I thought I’d ask the question with today’s current inflated horse market.

I will be ready to horse shop once again in the coming months, and I can’t tell if I’m dreading it or excited. I had some pretty bad luck with a youngster I purchased a few years back so I have a bit of a different apetite this go around. Ideally, I am looking for a prospect with potential to take me to the 1m20 / 1m30 ring (obviously scope for more would be amazing, but I am trying to be realistic within my current budget). I am okay with green and quirky, but started in work and going O/F would be preferred. No preference to gender, and I am on the smaller side so I am okay with a smaller horse.

My budget is around $30K CAD with wiggle room to accomodate shipping, vetting, commissions, etc. I realize that dollars do not go as far as they used to and espeically being in Canadian currency, tightens the budget up a little bit more. Am I being realistic in terms of purchase price for this type of prospect? I am also in no rush, open to waiting if it means saving a bit more and finding the perfect pony.

I will be using my trainer throughout this process and she suggested importing, but I figure I’d need a larger budget to do so. Opinions would be fantastic, and thank you in advance!

I think that’s reasonable. We have a youngster (6) at my barn who is currently listed low-mid 5s (US) and he’s schooling at least 1.0m. Nice personality, too. Not sure how things are in Canada, but I do live in a lower income area, to be fair.

1 Like

I think it will be tough but not impossible. You may need to get a 3 or 4 year old or a very hard to ride horse.

To import from Europe to California is about 12k for a gelding and 16k for a mare. I don’t know what it is to canada, i assume its based on where in Canada you are.

Good luck!

4 is my age minimum, so that is reassuring.

I am from Ontario and importing is in the same ballpark as you except in Canadian currency. I would expect to budget ~$12k CAD for import of a gelding, which would limit my purchase price to 15-20k euro.

Thank you!

Why not do a TB? You can get so much for your money and since you are on the smaller side, it would probably be an excellent fit.
This mare has lots of scope:
https://www.tbmakeover.org/horse-profile?type=0&yr=2020&horse=378

3 Likes

I’ll be honest, I think it’s going to be pretty tough.

My trainer and I have been heavily searching for a new horse for myself since early June, so I feel pretty familiar with the market. I’m looking for a similar age range, but a hunter prospect. Yes, I know hunters tend to be more, but I’ve looked at plenty labeled as jumpers too and the current market is truly crazy. I think it’s hard to find anything of quality that is going under saddle and started over jumps (even barely started) for under $30k US. It seems that young “prospects” these days are going for insane amounts. Definitely not impossible I’m sure, but be prepared for a long search. Even after raising my own budget several times I’m still struggling to find viable options in this market. There just seems to be a low inventory of sales horses regardless of price point. I hope you find your unicorn soon though! I’m learning a lesson in patience myself.

3 Likes

I agree your money would go further with a TB. You might also want to check out Harrington Horses in the UK. They sell a lot of young jumper prospects in your price range and I think have a good reputation.

https://harringtonhorses.co.uk/horse-sales/

1 Like

This is definitely what I was worried about. :confused: I’m okay with a long search and taking my sweet time, in absolutely no rush. Huge believer in what’s meant to be will be… but maybe ask me again when I’m 6 months into my horse search! Lol.

I hope you find your next unicorn soon as well! Best of luck!

@BITSA I’m definitely not opposed to a well-built TB with a solid foundation. Not really interested in something pulled off of the track unfortunately, I’ve witnessed far too many vettings and breakdowns! I’ve heard of Harrington Horses before, although I don’t see any prices posted on their website.

1 Like

There are many TB’s out there well into their second careers. Just like warmbloods, they do well with good farriers and vets and quality programs. The Makeover, Take Two and the aftercare alliance have done wonders for them.

6 Likes

Currently, EUR20k is about CAD30k. I think you could potentially find an import with that potential scope that is definitely not for the hunter/eq market at 20k, but then that leaves you nothing for vetting, any commission on your side, and import. And some of the stuff that might be advertised for much cheaper is likely going to arrive a lot less broke than advertised, or it will sell in a nanosecond.

1 Like

I think it can be done, particularly if you are ok with smaller! I think you can find what you want in Canada, it might just take longer to find. Small, but mighty little sports cars horses seem under valued in our market, so if you are truly ok with smaller, then I think you will find some good talent in that price range. A couple years ago, a friend bought a small warmblood mare (maybe 15.2?) that is helping her move up the levels. She paid 4 figures because people didn’t want to look at such a small horse. She has no trouble making lines/combinations.

2 Likes

There are prices on most of their horses….

What about this guy? He’s going to the make over in Kentucky this fall:

https://www.tbmakeover.org/horse-profile?type=0&yr=2021&horse=748

I was browsing their listings and found him. Might be worth an enquiry…

The fall Canadian Warmblood auction just wrapped up in AB, you could have a look at the sale results to give you a rough idea of the current market.

Where in Canada are you? I worked with a Canadian agent named Maryian Moore twice and had great experiences. She’s in Alberta, but has contacts all over the country.

You are right, I was just blind. :rofl: Big fan of both of their mares and a gelding…

@DawgLady I am located in northern Ontario, but travel to southern Ontario often to shop and visit.

@rulex that’s a fantastic idea. Do you konw where prices may be listed?

Sending you a PM

Just email them or look at the prices on the “sold” horses, they are almost all under $20k

I would caution very strongly against this seller. People are free to message me directly if they would like details.

2 Likes

I sent you a PM!

1 Like