Unlimited access >

Am I crazy? Considering swapping back to older Passier after riding in Voltaire for 3 years

I ride in a Black Country Equinox, which is technically an endurance saddle. That said, it’s basically a dressage saddle with a slightly more forward and shorter flap and a much smaller thigh block. I’m 5’4" with a longer femur and it’s a great fit for me. It also provides a closer contact feel to my horse than just about any other dressage saddle I’ve tried.

https://trumbullmtn.com/product/equinox/

1 Like

I’m watching this thread with great interest. I have a PASSIER BAUM that I’ve been trying to pass along with zero, as in ZIP, interest from anyone. (Don’t even get me started on trying to pass along my Stubben Siegfried VSD!) I contacted Passier with the ID # and here’s what I learned:
Custom made in 1973, “PT Dressage with molded flaps, size 18.5”, havana-brown, medium tree of 27.5 cm, 2 dee rings, NO gusseted panels, NO deep seat."
(the capitals are from Passier…)

The Passier came with a custom felt pad - long since discarded - and a custom made fleece lined saddle cover.

I’m gratified to hear all the positive things people are writing about the old Passiers. I’m sad that so many trainers/PC DCs steer their kids to more expensive modern saddles when so many of these kids could easily lelarn the ropes in these saddles - especially the Stubben.

Am clearning out my house, and would love to see these saddles being used. The Passier definitely needs to be restuffed and I’d replace the billets on both, but other than than a little cleaning and oiling and they both should be good to go.

Will be following…

1 Like

:eyes: PM sent.

It’s funny, because I don’t even fully understand how I ended up with the Passier GT to begin with (other than it was divine intervention!). I remember still being in high school and needing a dressage saddle. We reached out to M&M Saddlery and I have NO idea what my mom (non-horsey) told them. :rofl: They sent us two Passiers on trial (the GT and a Grand Gilbert, I think). I was an event rider at that point but was without a trainer at the time. I just remember thinking-- this is the way it is supposed to feel like. And I could feel that way on every horse I sat that saddle on.

So I guess long story short, I think if a horse mom called most tack shops today looking for dressage saddles, Passier would not be the first brand they’d grab… and that makes me a a little sad, too.

3 Likes

Many of the older Passier dressage saddles are brown; maybe that’s why not many people are interested. I wanted brown and was thrilled when I found one.

I’m trying to sell my old Barnsby Raven, in a gorgeous dark brown. It’s been on consignment in a tack shop for months now and will probably be there for a long time.

2 Likes