Unlimited access >

Amish farm barn fire

Saw this on YouTube where an Amish farm’s huge dairy cow barn burned to the ground this last Thanksgiving morning

well yesterday there was a follow up video, they completely rebuilt that barn in six days

Here it would take about a year to get the permits

15 Likes

Did they lose any dairy cows?

1 Like

If you watch the top video it says it was reported that the horses and cows were removed safely.

9 Likes

Awesome thanks! Not in a place to watch the video.

2 Likes

Props to the fire crews for keeping it from spreading further than it did in the conditions.

Crazy to think they were able to get all the needed supplies in such short order.

6 Likes

Local Amish sawmills probably helped. Nails, metalstrap goods in quantity might be questionable though. Really good community to help get it all assembled. Glad I am not hand milking cows twice a day in the cold!!

4 Likes

Menards has in-stock trusses that I could build a barn with tomorrow if I wanted to.

I wouldn’t want to be the guys up there. That sucker looks tall!

1 Like

These are builders who happen to be Amish with extra help for things that need sheer numbers to get them done. It’s not joe off the street going into the local hardware store looking for enough nails for a weekend project.

5 Likes

Paging OSHA! :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

1 Like

Last spring, a tornado went through northeast Indiana, near where my mom lives, on a Sunday I think… One of the casualties was a large chicken barn. The barn was rebuilt in a week. There were Ams that came in by the bus load to help the community rebuild. Apparently, the local Cracker Barrel was not expecting a Monday morning rush.

Being an adjunct member of the community, Mom contributed a pot roast & potatoes to the effort.

5 Likes

And they don’t tie off to roofing anchors :o because they feel if they are not reliant on safety equipment they will be more careful … and ya know, faster because you can’t have that many people up there without getting safety lines tangled.

I’m afraid of heights so it was hard for me to watch a demonstration of a century barn rebuild on site at International Plowing Match a few years ago. It was totally fascinating though! The next day they were going to be taking it back down and shipping it up north where it would be rebuilt again as someone’s home.

The audience literally sat there and watched all the bones go up in a fairly short time while the owner of the company explained what was happening. One line that sticks with me was, “We don’t use cranes. We use men. You can’t have a picnic with a crane.” Obviously, cranes are used when necessary, but if they can do it with manpower, they will.

It’s impressive

1 Like

I just had a crew of 5 Amish remove the old, uncared for cedar shingles on my house and replaced with a metal roof standing seam panels. They did use safety gear when they were removing the shingles, but took it off to secure the metal panels. I couldn’t watch. I asked why they don’t wear a harness for the metal part, they said it slows them down.

4 Likes