Unlimited access >

Analyzing correct basics vs incorrect basics and the impact judging has on evolution of modern dressage competition

7 Likes

I went last year to listen to Anja Beran to exactly this lecture “schooling the eye” ( I admit I did because it was close to my home and it was free) and I agree with every word in this article
Because I show I wasn’t too impressed with Anja Beran in the past because she never goes to any shows. But the lecture made a big impression on me!!!

8 Likes

Trafalgar Square sells the lecture as a DVD and I believe it’s also on wehorse.com, both in English

6 Likes

That was a very interesting article. I’m new to dressage, so I was interested in what she had to say. I wish the video could be translated to English.

1 Like

I watched a little of this, wishing, really wishing, that I understood German.

I have a feeling that I will be agreeing with her a lot when I finally can understand her words.

2 Likes

English clip from the lecture https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DJNTgiOwyok

Looks like you can get a free 7 day trial to wehorse.com and watch the full lecture, again in English (I highly recommend, I have the DVD):
https://www.wehorse.com/en/blog/train-your-eye-to-recognize-good-and-horse-friendly-training/

4 Likes

I so so highly recommend Anja’s video The Art of Classical Dressage Training and specifically the one with the Special addition called Flamingo - a Westphalian gelding. They show you a young horse broken by being started so hard and rushed so fast and demonstrate a rehab that took a year.

They start out with no contact and over time, with back strength, bring him back into collection and it is amazing. Their incredible riding (it’s other women that Anja) and their softness and slow slow asking of the horse as they bring him back.

And here he was later in the rehab:

I’ve had this DVD (and it’s in English) 20 yrs probably and always remembers how incredibly soft her riding and direction was to the horse and wow what she produces.

I appreciate this thread and do plan to watch the DVD again soon as a result.

5 Likes

I’ve followed her for years. Great article and very valid points with explanations.

1 Like

The article was fantastic, refreshing and I’d love to see more video. Are there video of the rehabbed horse in english or only in german?

1 Like

I think this is another article from the same weekend? I love the photos especially.

5 Likes

Me too! Thank you.

2 Likes

The DVD I have is in English.

1 Like

Thank you for posting it :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:. I so wish Dressage people in Germany would look into that direction :pensive:

4 Likes

Super article, everything was great
 the rider, coach, horse and audience.

But I know at least one poster on here will call out abuse. In one of the pix you clearly see the horse sweating (lather between the rear legs).
Oh noes! Wet saddle blanket! :smile:

5 Likes

Reading this article makes me realize that I’m so fortunate to be with my current trainer. She teaches French classical and her farm, while nothing fancy, is so stress-free for the horses and riders. No one shows; we just love to learn how to ride our horses this way. It seems easier for any horse no matter the breed or type.

I like Uta Graf. Her horses live outside, she brings them in, knocks off the mud, rides them, and throws them back out again.

7 Likes

Here it is for sale:
https://www.trot-online.co.uk/elegant-dressage-training-volume-1-the-art-of-classical-dressage-training-by-anja-beran-dvd

I think it’s in English too, right?

1 Like

I’m ordering and appreciate this thread! :heart_eyes:

1 Like

It’s probably been 15 yrs since I got out my Anja DVD and watched again last night in awe.

I remembered how seeing her ride and the narration of their philosophy and work with the horse inspired me that THIS is what I wanted for me and my horses all those years ago.

And couldn’t help but also think of the horrific Cesar Parra videos in comparison. Everyone should see Anja and her mentor work with their horses and then the contrast. The violence of Cesar’s work and other’s - we know he is not some isolate singular example.

What is profound is seeing the confident, relaxed expression in Anja’s horses. And of course, the correct work, the muscular development and beauty of expression.

4 Likes

If you’re calling me out for the wet saddle pad thing, you’ve clearly missed your mark. That is never what I was referring to.

If you’re calling out a certain zealot, :crazy_face: I’d love to see the retorts, but happily, I found the ‘ignore’ button :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

You guessed correctly :slightly_smiling_face: