Anatomical Nosebands

Does anyone here have any insights or anecdotes on the utility of the various anatomic noseband options? Looking to replace one that isn’t a great fit (on a double).

It seems you can either have cut outs for the bit rings (like Bridle2Fit S1), or you can have cut outs on the top for the cheek bones (like Schockemohle)? There is also the curved cheek style of noseband, with (Kavalkade) or without the extra buckle (Tota)? Some of these also seem to be available with some downward angle at the back to accommodate the pad sitting at an angle. Fairfax put rings on the sides to allow that angle. Thoughts?

Fairfax publishes it’s research on design.

1 Like

I use a Fairfax noseband on both my horse’s snaffle and double bridle. I just bought the “hangar” piece separate (I think from Flexible Fit) since I don’t use the rest of the fairfax bridle. My horse really likes the noseband but did not like the crown (too wide, of course now they have a refined version!)

1 Like

Bridle2fit has the S5 noseband. It is lighter, straight, and sits higher. My horse likes it a lot. 2 fingers fit under it easily.

1 Like

Have some “anatomical” bridles and hate most of them. Feel that a regular noseband that either thins at the sides or just isn’t that wide works best - problem when they thin is that where it hits depends on the size of your horse’s nose so if small then doesn’t help as hits after the bit. Many nosebands are way over padded and so don’t stretch or conform as nicely as the old fashioned ones. Do like cut back crown pieces - though some are now going super wide at top of poll which to me would add pressure.

Biggest thing for many is that your browband is wide enough that it doesn’t pull the bridle against the horse’s ears.

1 Like

my horse adores this one;

2 Likes