Unlimited access >

Andalusion Breeders/ Trainers-Question regarding gelding vs stallion prospect

I have a 3 year old black Andalusian colt, homozygous, IALHA registered. He is out of an imported mare named Colombia and by the stallion Triguero P. Purchased him as weanling with plans to eventually show and possibly stand at stud. Unfortunately, life has gotten in the way and I will not be able to keep him as a stallion. I am debating whether or not to sell him as a stallion prospect, and let his new owner decide whether or not to geld him, or gelding him now and keeping him for another year or so to further his training. He is a lovely horse, with excellent conformation, very refined for an Andalusian. He has grown out of his gawky stage, but still looks somewhat immature and ‘unfinished’, and I feel like he will be a late bloomer. He has recently had 60 days with a reining trainer, just w/t/c and trail rides. I am a dressage rider and that is the direction that I had originally planned in taking him . Big, expressive mover. He is very sweet and personable, but is definitely aware of the fact that he is a stallion and will need a knowledgeable handler. Not mean or particularly naughty, just easily distracted. Interested in everyone’s thoughts, as I have been out of the breeding/ showing world for a few years and I know that the market has been struggling.

Andalusians do mature slowly. I imagine he would sell better as a gelding but, it’s so hard to say in this market. You could advertise him as a stallion and give yourself a deadline and if no interest geld him and try again. Good luck. :slight_smile:

Maybe have someone in the Andalusian breeding business, that you trust, evaluate him and then make your decision.