Andrew McConnon horse abuse

I will never send a horse to a trainer I don’t know VERY well and personally.

Same reason our dogs will never be sent to a professional hunting dog trainer. Way way way too many horror stories.

I’d never forgive myself.

5 Likes

Unfortunately, there are rumors circulating that the behavior persisted when he was with WFP as well.

Who knows what WFP was aware of. The reality in most larger programs is that assistants and working students do a ton of daily care and basic training, and the top pro often is busy focusing on the top competition horses. Don’t get me wrong, the head of a program should set a tone and expectations concerning daily treatment of horses in the program… that matters. But it seems clear that AM has significant longstanding personality issues underlying this behavior… and it does seem like he has significant impulse control problems. I doubt he could keep that consistently in check for long periods of time in a high pressure environment.

6 Likes

Here’s what you - and everyone - can do. Take this to SafeSport and to USOPC.

For both organizations, you can use your name or be anonymous. Explain the situation, link to the videos, give evidence of how you know USEF has been made aware. Say that you want this investigated and you want answers.

I’m not a big cheerleader for either of these organizations (I’ve spoken to both at length on a series of non-horse issues). USOPC is a collection of cowards who always kowtow to the national federation and claim they can’t do anything. (One thing they could do - because the court ordered it - was to pay out $332 million in the USA Gymnastics suit. We can hope that they’ve learned from it.) SafeSport is what it is.

USOP has an ethics point website here: https://secure.ethicspoint.com/domain/media/en/gui/53006/index.html. When you are reporting to them, you are reporting about the inaction of USEF on this abuse case.

With SafeSport, you can report abuse. He’s abusing the horse and his anger is also very threatening. https://uscenterforsafesport.org/report-a-concern/

Please don’t be afraid to deluge these organizations with reports. It’s their duty to follow up and if an NF is refusing to keep a clean house, you have to go over their heads.

18 Likes

20 Likes

I agree. The fact that any people are surprised when a top competitor turns out to have an unsavory dark side always blows my mind.

There are almost always sacrifices to reach the top of any sport. It would be wonderful if hard work and being a good person always paid off in competition rankings, but that’s not reality.

For this particular individual, his dark side appears to be a competitive drive that comes with a wicked temper to the point of abusiveness.

Should it be addressed and stopped? Absolutely. But my point is that most serious competitors have skeletons in their closets, some worse than others.

12 Likes

I find it very hard to cheer for anyone at this point. You know their castle will fall, too.

18 Likes

Canter Mid-Atlantic has not sent horses to him in a very long time…definitely not since he returned from working for WFP

19 Likes

What about the owners of his horses? Has anyone reached out to them?

6 Likes

Equine Bonnets also withdrew support! I suspect many will follow suit today!

44 Likes

I actually do agree with you on their response to that particular post. I think they would have been better served to say something similar as EN that they are aware and looking in to the situation further to insure accuracy and integrity, with another update to come. Then come back to say, look, this is how a grant works however we have expressed our strong opinion to the PTB that they need to thoroughly vet their recipients. Or some such.

Disclaimer: not a PR person, nor do I play one on tv, I just would have found that sort of response more palatable, in my extremely humble opinion.

32 Likes

What our sport needs now is transparency, education, pathways to rehabilitation, and, yes, empathy.

Our riders today reflect what they were taught to be. We see how culture, media, and generational influences affect our actions, and we have started to address these generational issues. Why would we expect anything different in a high-pressure sport?

The grassroots need to trust the highest levels of the sport, or it won’t survive. There are still good people at the top—we just need to identify and support them.

Transparency: The last thing we need is more NDAs, secretive practices, and restricted training environments. Such actions suggest we have something to hide. We need open training sessions, panels, discussions, and conversations about past mistakes and how to move away from ineffective methods. If this means changing aspects of the sport for the welfare of all involved, so be it.

Education: We need to adopt new ways of doing business. This includes involving veterinarians, farriers, sports psychologists, biomechanics, and saddle fitters—professionals from various fields—to evaluate training methods, gear, medications, and horse welfare. Ongoing education should not be limited to traditional sources.

Pathways to Rehabilitation: There must be structured ways for individuals to rehabilitate themselves. This could include anger management, open farm inspections, volunteer work, and mandatory involvement with different organizations. If someone who has dedicated their life to this sport makes a few mistakes, they should have a chance to improve their methods. If they choose to take this opportunity, great; if not, we’ve at least made the effort. However, this process must include unbiased checks and balances. Without opportunities for rehabilitation, we risk maintaining a lack of transparency in the sport, which benefits no one.

Empathy: We need empathy for those who have lost their temper occasionally, and for everyone involved on the periphery—the grooms, trainers, students, owners, and partners—who may have seen issues but were afraid to speak out, or who are questioning what they missed.

What else do we need? Protection for whistleblowers. We must safeguard those who come forward, even if it takes longer than expected, as they may not have been in a position of power or may fear for their safety, the horses they care for, or their livelihood.

This issue requires a task force that extends beyond the US and the UK. Trainers and top-level riders worldwide need to be educated and rehabilitated, or they need to leave the industry. We need riders who want change, along with governing bodies, owners, vets, sponsors, and others, to work together to address these issues before it’s too late. We, as passionate supporters of the sport who care deeply about the horses, must also have a voice. After all, we contribute to the sport financially as well.

18 Likes

Is this something that the national/international federations could mandate, that NDA can not be required for employment at a facility? Would be a 20 second audit - ask a groom “did you sign an NDA, yes or no”.

I get icked out by these federations being able to reach beyond a competition, but something has to be done. PETA will win this fight if this stuff keeps happening.

9 Likes

Safe Sport is for the reporting of sexual abuse not animal abuse. They won’t do a thing as they’re so backlogged in cases regarding actual sexual abuse of athletes at this time.

What can and needs to be done is continued coverage of these videos to where USEF cannot ignore them. Full press on the top levels and follow up requesting progress on the investigation. If given their typical run around, follow up with the press with actual dates of evidence submitted and any responses given. If USEF isn’t pressed into owning up to what they are (or are not) doing, they will never do a thing.

17 Likes

That’s what I want the answer to the most. How long has USEF and FEI been in possession of these videos, and what is their excuse for doing absolutely nothing until it went public?

20 Likes

5 months according to statements. The videos were also allegedly worse than what’s posted on FB too.
Sorry but seeing these should have been immediate suspension. There is no excuse for whipping or punching a horse in the head like this for no reason.

32 Likes

This is incorrect.

SafeSport covers misconduct in addition to physical, emotional and sexual abuse. (For anyone who reports, misconduct also includes retaliation against a reporter/whistleblower.)

Also, although they are backlogged, they’re also motivated to move quickly in egregious cases. IMO, this would qualify.

USOPC - I posted their ethics reporting portal upthread - can leverage USEF to clean up. USOPC certifies the various NFs under its purview and if an NF has serious issues that have been brought to USOPC’s attention, re-certification will be conditional on remedying those issues.

12 Likes

I do not believe SafeSport handles animal abuse of any kind. It is not an equestrian organization.

The retaliation, yes. But we don’t have any reported instances of that, AFAIK, outside of comments on social.

20 Likes

Ugh. Animal abuse is misconduct.

Ok guys, so don’t do anything. Sit at your keyboards and stay in your insular world.

There is a broader world out there to regulate sport. It might not be 100% effective or the greatest system but it’s there for you to use. The sport belongs to you as much as anyone.

14 Likes

I see there is considerable focus on the reports that have been made to FEI and USEF, but I am still concerned about the USEA’s role and responsibilities related to this situation.

Just in case anyone else was curious about the details of the USEA Foundation Developing International Rider Grant aspect of this story…

Here is a post AM made on his own social media about the grant back in December 2023

Here is a screenshot & link from the USEA Foundation website about the details related to the International Developing Rider Grant…

It involves a $50,000 award to one rider.

https://useafoundation.org/rebecca-broussard-developing-rider-grants

Here is a screenshot and link to the USEA Foundation Committee List related to the Developing Rider Grants (it seems to relate to both the International and National grants)…

And last but not least

The current USEA Board of Trustees

If it is true that MANY MANY top tier riders and members of the eventing community have known about this abusive behavior for YEARS… why was he awarded this grant? Was there no one else who could/would have been a more suitable recipient?

And is there anything that can be done now in terms of rescinding the award?

It seems like these are fair questions for concerned USEA members to ask leadership and committee members.

25 Likes

[quote=“JER, post:161, topic:798895, full:true”]

No, that’s not true. Not by the scope of Safe Sport, and it’s a lot of wasted energy and keystrokes to report to the wrong organization.

Just because we don’t want to waste time directing outrage and reporting to the wrong place doesn’t mean we don’t care :woman_shrugging:t3:

28 Likes