Unlimited access >

Ankys GPF and the woeful German music

Anky’s kur, even with the pixelated screen, was one of the nicest tests I’ve seen, every time that canter music comes on with her singing I tear up - well done luv, what a year! Beautiful, what a ride. Hope the detractors note how bloody good Sals walk was!!! And how calm he was, Anky looked nervous going in though.

What is with the German’s music? Collectively so awful and old fashioned and just not sophisticated or pleasant, in places quite repellant actually, they could learn a thing or two from the dutch in this area. Come on Germans come into the 21st century. What drugs was the German judge on to give Isabel the same artistic marks as Anky!!! Terrible judging.

Is there a video of it online somewhere?

The thing I didn’t like was that Isabelle and Imke (again) had the same music (OK…80% the same).

Andreas and Blue again did a very good job, and recovered from their lesser ride at the GPS.

what about Nadine’s music?

Nadine’s music was great . Well arranged and well ridden.

I didn’t like Nadine’s. A little too much on the vocals and way too repetitive. Yeah, Nadine, we get it - your horse is Elvis and you ride to Elvis music. If they’d just cut down the vocals it would have been better.

To each his own, I guess!

Honestly- I think Isabel never really thought she would be riding Satchmo in the freestyle- the fact that Warum Nicht was not going and she had to ride Satchmo and got that far is a different story all together. I would recommend that she think over winter of a really cool freestyle music- forget that german drab and make it fun and playful and fitting for the horse…

I liked the music used for Matine’s freestyle, also. What a lovely mare she is. :slight_smile:

[QUOTE=egontoast;1843032]
Nadine’s music was great . Well arranged and well ridden.[/QUOTE] Well each to their own I guess, not my cup of tea, to me Elvis is a bit daggy and the music just didn’t match the horse, name notwithstanding. It, like most of he german music was a mish mash of tunes chosen to match a gait, kemmer must have had ten different pieces of music, just awful. Anky’s music tells a bit of a story, and has a thread through it, i think that is what makes it special.

I think it hit the mark with that horse, and not because of the name.

he’s not a swan lake type horse.

and I am an Elvis P fan so for me it was a good match!

[QUOTE=egontoast;1844130]
I think it hit the mark with that horse, and not because of the name.

he’s not a swan lake type horse.

and I am an Elvis P fan so for me it was a good match![/QUOTE] Well I guess if you actually like Elvis the singer then I guess the music would be your cup of tea. I wish she had used some of the really nice Elvis songs Like ‘always on my mind’ and oh, a couple of others, names escape me at the moment - you can tell I’m not really a fan but concede he had great voice and some nice toons.

If we are going to use music from like-named singers, I’d better get a horse caled Rufus so I can use Rufus Wainwright music! I do think the trend is a bit twee though, like Just a Gigolo for Gigolo, yick, didn’t like it at all, too easy, too obvious. Dressage should and could be more groovy if people were less conservative, i.e Lingh’s former trance freestyle (didn’t see his test this time, don’t know if he’s still using it, but that is more my style) Let’s get with IT dressage - no more bloody musak and Yamaha Organ versions of the Beatles and Abba!!! Seems like freestyle music is being selected for people in their 60’s (snore) but I guess since the judges are in their sixties that makes sense. BUT many of the riders are young and groovy, that sould be reflected in music too, kinda like Lady Marmalade for Matine, THAT was cool. Should be more of it.

The obvious choice is_______!

[QUOTE=Sabine;1843092]
Honestly- I think Isabel never really thought she would be riding Satchmo in the freestyle- the fact that Warum Nicht was not going and she had to ride Satchmo and got that far is a different story all together. I would recommend that she think over winter of a really cool freestyle music- forget that german drab and make it fun and playful and fitting for the horse…[/QUOTE]

Has anyone thought of using Louis Armstrong music for a horse named Satchmo??? Am I the only one who wants this??? Jeese, Louise, buy a clue.

:slight_smile:

[QUOTE=Vicky;1842506]
Is there a video of it online somewhere?[/QUOTE]

Yes, someone has put it up on YouTube. Do a search for “Anky” and it’ll come up.

The problem with Elvis (The King) music is that you don’t have many real good orchestral versions of his songs. It mostly comes down to karaoke and synthesizer music, which are certainly not my favourites.

But with some search in the backrooms of the CD-shops you can find some very nice orchestral CD’s:

This is the Elvis-freestyle I made for a horse some years ago.

www.horsedances.net/Tietelv2.mp3

The text I added was because this music was for a Friesian Horse (named The King)

A small part of the Prive Giving Ceremony

www.horsedances.net/TietsPrijs1.wmv

Theo

re:

The Boston Pops did a great medley of Elvis music a while back (maybe 10 years?). I saw a GP rider in Region 8 ride to it at my first dressage show and it was a nice change from the trendy big band music at the time.

Hmm going to have to disagree here

I’m afraid I’m going to have to diasagree with the original poster. I liked Satchmo’s music a heck of a lot better than the “80s techno elevator pop music” that so many people are using right now. The only complaint I have is the slight jarring when going into “Pomp and Circumstance” the second time. I liked it, and I give kudos to the people using real music. Shows creativity. :smiley:

Maybe you should listen again, because the original poster is right, but maybe I have watched another competition.:cool:

LOL! Perhaps it sounds better “in person”, I am merely watching from a video. (possibly one of yours even!!) I thought Salinero’s test was beautiful. I loved watching it. I have just simply never liked the whole elevator/techno thing. (except of course for the year everyone used "Final Countdown, heehee) Personal preferance makes the world go 'round. :slight_smile: Of course I am not critisizing anyone, just stating my feelings. ;-p

I did like Satchmo’s better, but then I like the pieces in it looong before I watched the freestyle. :smiley:

How can you call Anky’s music

How can you call Anky’s music techno elevator music. All parts are played by the best musicians in the world. No techno involved. Offcourse you don’t have to like it. This is a very peronals issue. But don’t put it in the corner of techno. Satchmo was riding on a (partly) techno/synthesizer version of the Nights of the Proms, please compair this version with the 100% instrumental version of the Nights of the Proms which Imke and Sunrise used.

Again… you don’t have to like anyones music but don’t say it’s techno because it’s NOT.

Theo

huh

LOL! I don’t mean techno as in something one would dance to in the clubs, I mean as computer vs live instrumentation. I mean I don’t know anything personally about this music, like who composed/performed it, which you most likely do since you are around them all the time. (lucky person)

Perhaps, I simply need to broaden my freestyle horizons, since at first glance I just immediately assumed, “Ack more bad computerized classical-pop stuff.” I’m thinking my punishment will be to travel to Germany, and be “forced” to watch as many of these “Horrible” freestyles as possible. :smiley: That would be wonderful!.

I’d never heard of “night of the proms”… interesting website…