Unlimited access >

Anniversary Greetings from an OG

Aunt Esther joins me in dropping in with hugs and smiles to say that Wednesday is the 20th anniversary of Willem’s passing, and to thank everyone again who was - and continues to be - a part of the golden chain that linked so many of us together thanks to my dear old guy. You all rock. So honored to have so many of you in my life.

Oliver joined Willem at the Rainbow Bridge four years ago, and two days later I was absolutely thrilled to buy Louie Louie, a well known eq/lower hunters who had at least 35 riders at A and B shows over the years. He and Oliver were buddies at one point, and I’d told his owner that if she ever sold him, I wanted first crack. I texted her after I had Oliver PTS (strangling lipoma), she said “Call me,” and the rest is history.

Big Lou is now enjoying 99% retirement out at my friend’s beautiful farm in Temecula, and is convinced he owns the place. Occasionally we’ll go for a hack, and he reminds me of how fantastic he is.

Lots and lots of "This it be right."

PS: extra hugs to the still unknown person who came up to me in the parking lot at The Oaks after seeing my COREENE license plate and screaming “OH MY GOD YOU’RE A REAL PERSON!” You made my day.

84 Likes

Well….nice to hear from you :smiley:

2 Likes

So many wonderful memories with your special horses :heart:

6 Likes

Wattie, including the ones with yours!

2 Likes

Nice to see you’re still here! :smiley:

1 Like

Well, look at you! It has been years since I’ve been here, but of course, it’s Willem who got me to visit. How can it be TWENTY YEARS??? He is still my only “model” horse now. I talk to him every day.

When is that book coming out???:heart::heart::heart:

17 Likes

Thank you for the reminder, I absolutely need to get on that project! I promise I will start before winter. Truly! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

13 Likes

This thread ! It be right ! :heart::heart::heart:

16 Likes

My goodness! So many time’s I have thought of Willem, and his wise and funny remarks. Twenty years is a long time, that has passed in the blink of an eye.

11 Likes

Wow! Time flies. So many great people here that I’ve connected and reconnected with.

7 Likes

20 years does not seem possible!! Those seem like the ‘good old days’ but these days are not so bad either :slight_smile:

Edited to say I was cleaning out a closet in a spare bedroom and found my signed copy of your iconic picture (you and Willem!). I must admit, I teared up a little - sweet memories all around that time!

10 Likes

Darn, should have brought Champagne! :clinking_glasses:

4 Likes

Tried to post a photo of Louie, but still blonde and of course that didn’t work.

4 Likes

Good to see an update from you. I remember my mom reading me one of your Willem posts. It was one of many that drew me in to COTH. It hardly seems like it has been 20 years.

8 Likes

It’s good to hear from you, Coreene. It doesn’t seem possible that 20 years have gone by since Willem’s death broke our hearts.

11 Likes

How could it possibly be 20 years? I was a newbie back then with a different screen name. Seems like yesterday and another lifetime ago at the same time.

6 Likes

How I sobbed over so many Willem posts. They were like a children’s book for adults. Like reading “Black Beauty” for the first time. How C turned her own grief into something beautiful and funny — into something we could believe about our own precious friends.

10 Likes

Wow, so many memories…

I can’t believe it’s been that long, but I’m glad you’re doing well!

3 Likes

How can it be 20 years already? I was using a different name back then and more a lurker than a poster, but I can remember trying to explain to my (now ex-) DH why I was crying over “some horse on the internet” dying… so many life lessons learned from a soul I never had the pleasure of knowing in person, but who touched my life all the same. :heart:

9 Likes

Completely verklempt. Thank you :heart:

4 Likes