Unlimited access >

Another Bit Thread

Looking for possible ways to go on changing up a bit for my coming 6 year old gelding (hunters/eq prospect). He is currently in a Jumpin french link full cheek bit, but doesn’t seem to love it.

The other bits I know he’s previously been ridden in a Pelham (hated it), full cheek Pletcher (hated it), and full cheek taylor chain (seemed to like it) for being downhill/heavy on the forehand after a growth spurt while jumping and showing. Since I’ve had him, he’s been almost exclusively in the Jumpin French link and we’ve been flatting due to an injury that he is coming back from. I’m not sure if we’ll end up needing both a flat bit and over fences bit since I suspect the downhill feel/heaviness will resolve with fitness and time.

Trying to decide which way to go in terms of changing up his bit; he doesn’t seem to love this bit and chews/gapes a lot at rest. He’s currently quite soft in the mouth, will seek contact, easy to half halt and transition down, but locks his jaw on the left. Teeth have been done a few weeks ago, but no change in his comfort. I’m leaning towards narrower bars, but also contemplating the idea of a roller in the middle.

I have played quite a bit of bit roulette with my 6 year old warmblood gelding who sounds similar to yours. For flatting, and actually now for jumping at home, we use a KK Ultra loose ring. I would have thought it wouldn’t be enough but something about the lozenge and the action of the loose ring seem to make him happy and have allowed us to focus on responsiveness.

1 Like

You haven’t tried a straight bar. No moving parts sometimes suites a horse well, and you won’t know that if you don’t give it a try. It might not be what you (and the horse) are looking for, but it might be. A mullen (curved) mouthpiece is the best option. With or without cheeks. If the horse is happy with it, you probably won’t need cheeks. If you can’t find a mullen mouth, a long low port gives tongue pressure relief too. For some horses, it’s the option you both have been looking for. Some horses will tolerate NOTHING else.

If he liked the “Taylor Chain” (which I had to google) why not try a Waterford?

Another vote for a KK or some kind of French link loose ring. Many problems can be solved by educated riding in a correct fitting French link-type loose ring. Those that can’t are rarely, in my experience, bit related.

1 Like

Another vote for trying the Waterford. Also might be worth trying a cherry roller or a slow twist.

Alternatively, I’ve had a lot of success with the HS Novocontact bit for one of my horses who is very soft in the mouth and has lovely contact, almost a bit sensitive in the mouth and only tolerated three-piece mouthpieces, but can be heavy simply by being downhill. Maybe try it for flatwork and see how he goes in it, and then try jumping in it?

1 Like