Unlimited access >

Another kitten to enjoy - RIP

Oh, no. I’m so sorry. Sending you hugs. Thank you so much for giving this little baby so much love. :heart:

:cry:

1 Like

so sorry for your loss :broken_heart:

Oh wow. I’m so sorry. Are your dogs high prey drive types? Do they have a history of trouble with cats? I’m sorry you’re going through this nightmare. Sometimes we don’t want to believe our intuition. :cry:

What an asinine and quite frankly b**chy remark. Hands down I would trust any of my dogs past or present with a young and mobile kitten. Yes, even the 60lb bruiser that the only way he would hurt one is by accidentally laying down too close to it. My cats love love their dogs and all our cats have come into our home before they were really of weaning age due to various circumstances.

2 Likes

not all dogs love cats. I had one that killed two of my cats. I dont think it was bitchy at all. In fact, I am nervously dog sitting for a high strung young dog this week. The cats are displeased. She is crate trained s if I leave, and tonight at bed time, she will go into the crate. So far so good but I am distrustful until I have reason not to be.

5 Likes

I don’t think her remark was bitchy or out of line. It does not matter how well any animal is trained or how close any animals are, any animal can act/react out of character.

6 Likes

Well, that’s your opinion. Let me tell you mine -

The OP admittedthey knew the risk. Knew their dogs were not trustworthy. Knew there was a chance their dogs would kill this kitten. Go back, re-read their post. “Exactly what I feared happened.” The OP knew the risk. The kitten paid the price.

Learn to read for content.

You can f-ing shove off.

13 Likes

I knew the risk, but the dogs are used to cats. They have lived with adult cats without an issue. One dog is an older small terrier, the other is a lab mix that’s around 2 years old. One of the adult cats lived with the lab mix at his previous home and is around the same age, the terrier has lived with cats for several years.

That said, they do hunt woodchucks and other small animals outside which is why I was nervous.

We thought they had accepted the kitten and would be okay. Obviously that was a mistake.

3 Likes

Heartbreaking that a kitten had to suffer because of a preventable situation. Kittens should never be left unattended with adult dogs. Much less left unattended with ones that have established prey drives and a history of hunting small animals. One of the more distressing posts I’ve seen on here in a while.

10 Likes

It took guts for the OP to come on here and tell us what happened. She didn’t have to. Perhaps it will make others more aware that their new kittens may need time before they’re left alone with high prey drive dogs.

16 Likes

I witnessed a friend’s dog grab a very young barn kitten when I was 15. We got the kitten away from the dog, but the belly was punctured and the Emergency vet said to euthanize. That happened so fast and left a big impression. When I got a kitten while my room mate had a big tom cat, I didn’t even leave them alone together until the kitten was half grown, because tom played very rough. I know we rehome at 6 or 8 weeks but really they need mom cat on the prowl for several months.

4 Likes

What changed your mind since Aug, 22nd?

I really hope she didn’t suffer from the pain for too long.

2 Likes

Pls reread @moonlitoaksranch post above.
If you’ve never done anything you wish you could un do, you’re a better person than me.

Yes, animals suffer for our mistakes, sadly, so do some humans.
Unless the errors become habitual, I’d err on the side of kindness.

5 Likes

I am sorry to hear about Loki. I have lost kittens too. No one has the right to throw stones so don’t let the harpies here shred your soul.

2 Likes