Unlimited access >

Another New Horse - It's Bo!

8:30pm check in - HR 44, all signs point to normal currently. He had not drank from his tubs, but he DID finish his little grain meal from earlier, I had added a pinch of Omega E (just ground Flax with vitamin E) when I fed the ponies at 5:30 to make it more what he’s used to.

He followed me around for poop patrol again (if you haven’t searched for poops by flashlight, try it sometime :rofl:). I didn’t find any, but I didn’t necessarily expect to given that he’s been rejecting the hospital’s cooking. Little in = little out.

I gave him another tiny meal, same stuff as before, which he was eating when I walked away. I will be checking on him again in a couple hours - If he starts to have trouble I’d like to be on top of it ASAP. If he doesn’t start drinking more, I have electrolyte paste on hand and a few other tricks to try.

ETA: still haven’t received my discharge instructions so I’m just going with my gut on what to do!

23 Likes

I think someone missed you. :heart:

10 Likes

When they like you, miss you, or are feeling poorly they will often just get up close to you and stand there an inch away from you and not necessarily want anything but closeness.

I think he thought you sold him to the vet. He’s so happy to be home with you.

13 Likes

Maybe since he is following you, a hand offered bucket of water would be accepted. I know, I know, he can’t be getting used to this, but perhaps it might kick start his water intake?

Thinking of you and wishing you and Bo all the best. :hugs:

5 Likes

Would you be able to take a bucket of warm water to him? Some horses love warm water. It’s even better if you hold the bucket for him. :grinning:

ETA: And @skydy beat me to it. Definitely try it if you can.

5 Likes

11:30pm: he seems to have drank about a gallon so far, split between the two tubs. It is supposed to rain again early in the AM so that might mess with my water level watch a bit. He had cleaned up his 8:30 meal except for a few scraps and was interested in another, which I delivered. HR still in the mid 40’s, all the things look normal. I’m not doing another poop check until daylight, but I will be back out there in another 3 hours to at least check his vitals and water levels and offer another tiny meal.

17 Likes

I don’t see mine as often as I should these days (boarded ~70 minutes from me). When I do make it out he stands in my bubble like that. Sometimes because he just wants to be close. Other times because he wants something scratched. Up between his legs or his belly line are his favorite spots - IOW the places he can’t reach.

So glad he’s home. I just want to kiss his snoot.

4 Likes

So far, so good.:crossed_fingers: I’m so happy he is home and has you to watch over him. You’re such a great horse mom! It takes a special person to care as much as you do. Thanks for being you and sharing Bo with us. :kissing_heart:

ETA: Please take care of yourself, too, and try to get some sleep.

3 Likes

I wonder what the bald belly spot might have to do with his girth area grumpiness? If only they could talk!

A dirty horse is a happy horse! Bo is so lucky to have you!

3 Likes

Your Gut should have DVM listed after it :sunglasses:
It got you this far, trust it.

Pls do let us COTH Aunties help with Bo’s bills.
Like someone upthread said, we will if we wanna :wink:

Love the ButtBoop video :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:
Bo is letting you know he’s happy to be home. :blush:

2 Likes

Everything continues to look normal. Although he’s not seeming dehydrated, he’s also not drinking as much as I’d like to see, so we’re going to work on that today. I also haven’t found any poop yet, but digestion takes time.

He has gotten over his enthusiasm for seeing me :joy: at 8:30 this morning, when I showed up with the halter he was like ‘mmm…think I’ll walk over that way, maybe she won’t see me’. He’s not a fan of having his gum color checked, which is the only reason I need the halter. He stands just fine for everything else.

One curious oddity of note - he seems to have a muscle (?) twitch in his jaw, not the entire muscle as they do when clenching teeth but just a thin band that runs perpendicular from the eye to the bottom of the mandible. I’ll see if I can get a video of it later, it’s intermittent and it happens on both sides.

12 Likes

Good to see you, Bo!

Apologize if you mentioned it, electrolytes, a salt lick? Or both?

I wonder if the addition of hay at the vet’s office caused him to use his jaw in a way that he hasn’t moved it in a while?

4 Likes

:thinking: Maybe residual from the dentistry?
Apologies if that procedure was in the distant past & not repeated at the clinic.

2 Likes

Good idea - I have Venmo, and most of the others - Cash App, Google Pay, Zelle. I still haven’t received the invoice… or the discharge instructions.

@findeight I have electrolyte paste, but I carried it off somewhere along with a tube of Probios paste and I haven’t been able to remember where I set them down. :expressionless: If I don’t find them by lunch time, I’ll swing by TSC when I’m in town and grab more.

@Night_Flight could be, or it could be related to the dental work he had done last Wednesday, too.

Glad he is holding steady. He looks much happier. Nothing happier than a horse with access to mud.

My first duty of the morning…check on Bo :blush:.

Susan

8 Likes

I don’t have any idea how hard it is to set up a GoFundMe? That would let people donate anonymous if they want, but I assume would be more work for you.

I believe in either case we would have to PM you to get the information to follow the forum rules.

I’m happy to send a dribble via Venmo and will PM you.

Sally

2 Likes

You could just let him lick table salt out of the palm of your hand… very low tech but tasty. Use Kosher salt if you are worried about iodine.

It perks their interest when they aren’t eating or drinking well or might turn up their nose if you just throw some into their feed.

2 Likes