Unlimited access >

Another Pasture Board Newbie Looking for Wisdom

My must haves for pasture turnout are free access to water and shelter, fly mask and leggings when flies are out, and a grazing muzzle when grass is too rich or horse is gaining weight.

Your horse may not ever need a grazing muzzle, but always be aware of pasture conditions and monitor your horse for any unusual foot sensitivity, especially in spring and fall and any time the grass has been under stress such as drought. This is a lesson I learned the hard way. My horse used to be out 24/7, with a grazing muzzle during the day. His diet consisted entirely of what he ate grazing. In spite of this he developed laminitis one spring, and then his lifestyle had to undergo big changes. He’s too much of an easy keeper to stay out all the time, so now both my horses are stalled at night and wear grazing muzzles while they’re out during the day. Like I said, this may never be an issue for your horse but best to keep it in mind.

3 Likes

That is REALLY good advice. All so true. Not every horse is going to be happy. And yes, you need gear. It’s so important to them feeling good.

Lots of really great advice here. My horse has lived out 24/7 in a 40+ acre hilly pasture for ~ 8 years now. When I first moved him there, catching him was… challenging. Yep, I had to stalk the herd over 40 acres. I decided that was BS. Luckily, him & his pasture mates are very food driven. Started taking a bucket of carrots out there. Now they hear the gate unlatch or the bucket rattle and they come running :wink:

He is an easy keeper, and he’s 23 yrs old at this point and did develop Cushings this past year. Luckily he’s not EMS and can stay on pasture. He’s sound as a dollar… so far. And he’s on one Pergolide a day. With only 3 horses on 40 acres, they never run out of grass. Granted, the summer grasses do die off and/or become less nutritious, and in the winter if need be, the BO puts out round bales for them in a sheltered area. I would like it if they had a real shelter other than trees. Because when my horse is out in a pasture with a shelter, he uses it. Another benefit for him is he’s pasture boss. So he doesn’t get beat up. He’s always been #1 or #2 in every pasture I’ve ever had him in. When he first moved to this barn, he was with a variety of horses in different pastures until he earned a spot in the infamous “a$$hole” pasture. Where all the bullies end up. And he has worked his way into the #1 a$$hole position. LOL

3 Likes