Unlimited access >

Another Pasture Board Newbie Looking for Wisdom

After getting some good advice from here and coming to grips with the fact my goals won’t work where my horse is now, I will be moving my horse to a new facility where he has the opportunity to be on pasture board. The switch would occur in the early fall.

I like all the benefits of pasture board. Granted, my show horse is a bit of a bull in a china shop and has cut his own legs with his own feet, but I’m still sure he’d do well outside 24/7. You can tell he moves around quite a bit in his stall. He loves food - I think he would enjoy being able to free graze or enjoy hay in a dry lot where he can move around a bit more. Overall, I’m not too concerned about making a switch with him because I think he would adjust well. He does fine in his stall, and he does fine stalled over a few days (at shows, during bad weather, etc).

This leads me to my questions:

1. When you switched your horse from stall to field board, did you notice any behavioral changes? My horse is an OTTB, so that’s why I think he does well in a stall (since that’s kind of all they know for the racing season). I’m mostly worried if I make the change that he will become more anxious being stalled at shows, but I’m also concerned about other potential changes.

2. Is there anything else I should know about pasture board? Things that happened that you wish you had known about first so you could be better prepared?

Will you have access to a stall if it’s needed? That’s usually the biggest issue. If you do, then stall him overnight one night a month or something, just to keep it in his mental toolkit.

6 Likes

So I currently board a retired horse at this facility and he has a stall - he needs to keep it to retain his weight as he treats his grain as free choice, and he is herd bound so he would not do well by his lonesome either in the barn or in a field. However, I could probably use his stall for this instance so long as he’s out with friends.

I do worry a little bit about access to a stall in bad weather.

They don’t melt in the rain. Horses are “drip dry” models. This is true, but is also dependant on the environment you are located in. In a high rainfall, high humidity poor draining area, horses need shelter. Country like this is not conducive to successful horsekeeping… Because horses must not be soaked 24 hours a day for days on end while standing in mud… therefore people lock them into stalls, which is also not conducive to successful horsekeeping (though it is so very popular with humans). The key is to make sure that where you and your horse live is “horse country”…that is, arid or semi arid country, well drained ground with fairly low rainfall, but lots of water available.
We now live in true “horse country”. My horses live outdoors year round. It is far easier care for me, (I have cleaned many thousands of stalls and paddocks), and my horses are pretty good at looking after themselves. Animals kept confined and alone in stalls in remote areas like ours are sitting ducks for cougar attacks. I no longer spend thousands of dollars on horse toilet paper (sawdust) which isn’t available here anyway. And I no longer spend thousands of dollars on a manure disposal trucking service. I do have a couple of stalls here, for use in emergency, but haven’t used them in years now. Our hay barn has run in shelters on either side, which they sometimes use, but often they prefer to bed down under trees. Horses are on free feed pasture or hay, with trace mineral salt blocks, and 24 hr / day exercise. Hooves are so solid and tough, I no longer need to shoe anybody for the work they do. No impaction colic issues, no navicular hoof issues from lack of motion. But you need the semi arid environment to make this work. This is the third farm I have lived on in my life, and the first one where I got it right.

2 Likes

Not only do horses not need to live where it’s (semi) arid with well-draining soil and fairly low rainfall, most people can’t or don’t want to live there.

There are LOTS of areas in between being constantly wet, and never being wet, and most horses do just fine in there.

Mine have lived out full time for 20 years. Red clay soil doesn’t drain well. Sometimes we stay wet for weeks. We had 7" rain in June. A few years ago we had over 80" rain from Sept-Feb-ish.

Stalls get used for meals and injuries. Their feet are fine. Yes, when the ground is water-logged, the feet get water-logged. When the ground is bone-dry, their feet get bone-dry. Neither situation lasts full time, and their feet don’t suffer for it, with exceptions like going from water-logged daily Summer rain to almost overnight bone-dry footing. That too is temporary.

They have spent many Winters with water-logged feet due to days and days of rain. They didn’t fall apart.

The opposite of having then out in rain for days on end does not mean locking them in a stall. That’s what well-constructed dry lots are for. Even then, not everyone can do that due to boarding situations. But you still don’t have to lock them in the stall full time, there’s a happy medium of part in and part out.

I don’t have colics or navicular issues (not sure what that has to do with this), nobody is shod

So no, you don’t NEED a semi-arid environment to make this work.

10 Likes

Is there any type of shelter in the pasture where your horse will be? A run-in/loafing shed? Big trees?

I think as long as they have a place that provides a bit of a break from the wind, a little shelter from rain, and a reprieve from sun and bugs, they’re all better off living outside.

Will he be with other horses in turnout? Are the separated for feeding? This is a biggie for me. I boarded at one place with huge, gorgeous pastures that had large run-in shelters and 2-4 horses in each large field. It seemed ideal except the horses were fed out there together and frequently ran each other off of their feed. My horse was low on the totem pole and also needed more feed than the ones he was turned out with, so he was losing weight and not getting his necessary supplements. He was also a bit herd-bound at the time and didn’t want to be in a stall for feeding (plus the BO wasn’t interested in bringing him in and turning him out). So, as lovely as the facility was, it didn’t work because of the group feeding.
He’s now on a smaller pasture with one other horse and it’s self-care, so I feed him and his buddy and make sure they are separate (stalls in the shelter in the pasture) while they eat their hard feed and supplements.

Mine only use their stalls/shelter when it pours rain in the warm months, the bugs are intolerable, or it’s cold and rainy/windy. Hay is placed outside if the weather is nice, but put in stalls in small-hole hay nets if the weather isn’t great. If the weather is really nice (fall and spring), the stall doors get closed and they still have the overhang if they choose.

As for changes in temperament, etc. you should notice him being more chill since he gets to self-exercise 24/7. I’d definitely put him in a stall occasionally to keep him used to that too. As long as he has company in the barn that he can see, he should be fine with that if he’s been used to it up until now.

5 Likes

The conventional wisdom when I was young was that a horse needed shelter from a freezing rain; otherwise being outside wouldn’t hurt them.

I’ve since learned that there are significant number of other situations where shelter is either needed or desirable, and won’t have a horse outside without some kind of shelter since the boarding barn left my Thoroughbred mare out all day in cold rain and she shivered off so many pounds.

I also found my range-bred Morgan shivering when blown snow got him wet under his shelter, so I built more wall on it.

1 Like

If you are doing 24/7 pasture board then I would expect there to be adequate shelter available for horses to get out of the weather if they choose. My 3 are out all the time and they all 3 get under roof ( their choice) in heavy rain or when it is very cold and windy.

When I feed hay I always feed under roof no matter the season. I prefer they not have to endure the elements ( cold or hot) if they want to eat and drink. Water is located at the barn as well.

Just my personal preference.

3 Likes

Maybe add extra grain for the first few months. My guy lost some weight when I made the change to field board for him. Now I think he’s too fat but your guy may need an adjustment period. As for summer if he hates bugs make sure you get a good fly mask and leg wraps. They make a difference.

2 Likes

I had a horse raised part time in a stall then outdoors in a paddock. She HATED 24/7 pasture board. I tried it for 3 months and she hated being the lowest herd member. She became depressed and sullen - it was quite obvious, even under saddle and always wanted out of the pasture. I switched her situation. She loved her part-time stall and own paddock. I had to go with that. Be prepared if your horse doesn’t love 24/7 pasture although you think he would.

My current horse was raised in 1/2 in a stall, 1/2 time personal pasture. He does so much better out 24/7. All horses here have a dedicated stall for inclement weather, which is really important to us. He shares a run-in with other horses (in the neighboring pasture) and it has a fan that turns on when the temp goes above 85 degrees F. He hates rain and RUNS for the shelter as soon as it starts to sprinkle. He is in a personal pasture (1+ acres) because he doesn’t do well with other horses at feed time (we tried). There is a paddock where he can be separated in at feed time but it hasn’t come to that. The pastures are mowed regularly and the weeds are sprayed regularly. All horses get hay flakes, not round bales, in the winter. In larger pastures with multiple horses, “bullies” are separated by the paddock enclosure in each pasture so everyone gets to eat in peace. All of this is essential, IMHO, for all horses to feel comfortable outside 24/7. All pastures have run-ins with fans in hot weather.

PS. He gets blanketed at night when temps go below 35 or so in the winter (it stays on if the temps don’t get above 45 or so) and gets his daily fly mask put on in the summer. Its a pretty ideal set-up for him.

3 Likes

WOW nice situation you have. My horse is out 24/7 in a ~ 40 acre pasture. He is the herd ‘boss’ and he has always been first or second in any pasture I’ve put him in. He LOVES shelter though, especially in rainy weather, and will use it, but sadly him & his 2 pasture mates only have trees for shelter in that gorgeous 40 acre pasture. Now, if the weather really sucks, BO will put all horses where they have access to shelter, and will put round bales in that shelter with them. He’s an easy keeper, so is a bit fat even when the grass is fading.

I look at show barns in the area and grieve for the horses standing in no-grass paddocks. Sure, they are getting turnout, which is better than being locked up in a stall, but… a small no grass paddock isn’t much better. At least they get to move more.

4 Likes

What I feel is important about 24/7 turnout is the right gear and checking your horse (or someone) every day if they are in “gear” - blankets, face masks, fly boots. Be there during the worst weather and check them.

Summertime means pulling flymasks at dust and scratching faces and cleaning around eyes. Pulling fly boots off so when they lay down at night their legs are free from creases and tightness from anything around their legs.

Winter when it’s windy and wet. Even if offered shelter they are often out in it anyways. We’ve always been so surprised that during absolute sh*t weather they’d be right out in it.

Be prepared that there are times of the year that absolutely suck. The highest heat/humidity/bugs and the cold if you have it - snow, ice, cold wet. BUT, mostly and more often it’s amazing for them. Under the stars at night. Out in the fresh air, moving around.

Have high quality - for me that’s Rambo and be able to switch out. Have an extra everything. I love a sheet with liners in a couple of gram options.

Check frogs to stay ahead of wetness and thrush.

I do feel having a stall is important. If nothing else they go in them briefly at least regularly otherwise some do get wierd about being put in a stall.

My favorite situation is luxury 24/7 turnout. Able to come in out of heat/sun/flies under strong fans when it’s hot. In shelter when it’s raining/snowing etc. I SO believe in the lots of movement not only for physical health but also mental.

I bed my horses deeply to encourage laying down at night and taking a rest. And they do! In the morning they are often covered in sawdust.

I also feel strongly about pulling face and leg masks every night and giving them relief and checking eye balls. They need a break from those. Back on in the morning for the day.

5 Likes

My 2 mares hate bugs. Want to see a meltdown - don’t let them into a stall when the flies get bad. They love being out at night in the summer. Want to come in as soon as it gets light and warms up. Fly masks and fly boots do not keep the deer flies and dive bombers off them and it is way too hot and humid for any kind of fly sheet. Let them come in with hay and a fan and they are happy as clams. They really don’t like being rained on either and being out in a rainstorm when it is cool can lead to a meltdown too. They don’t mind light rain in the summer if it doesn’t include flies. Neither would be very happy out 24/7.

But some horses don’t like being locked in a stall and one mare wants to BE in a stall, just not locked in. Even though she doesn’t want to go out, she still likes having her dutch door open so she has the option to go out. Generally though, she comes in at daybreak and won’t go back out to graze until it gets dark. Except this year we are not having very many flies. I have no idea why. So she is going out to graze in the heat of the day and turning into a beached whale. I think she is going to have to spend more indoor time with hay she is not crazy about so she is not ingesting grass 24 hours a day.

The other mare - she likes 12 hours in and 12 hours out. She likes to sleep in her stall and gets crabby when this schedule is not adhered to. I do increase her turnout when it gets cold so I can do less stall cleaning but she still likes her stall time. So you won’t know if your horse will like being out all the time until you try. Some do and some don’t.

Be prepared to up his calories a bit - at least at first. Sometimes they’re so happy to be out they forget to park it and eat.

Hopefully the horses are fed hard feed individually (feed bags, tied, somehow separated) as that can be the biggest obstacle of pasture board. Easy keepers that don’t eat much are usually fine, but group feeding can be a learning curve if they need certain supps or more grain. I’ve worked around this by giving important supps myself, but it won’t work for higher calorie needs or if you can’t get out there daily.

As far as stalls go, is there a stall you can throw him in before/after riding if you clean it? We’ve had good luck with bringing horses up to the barn and putting them in a stall with hay while grabbing tack or after hosing them off. They learn to chill in the barn (sometimes alone) and do fine at shows. However, horses that have been stalled their whole lives seem to remember it and do fine at shows as long as they have other horses around. Usually we only have issues with the ones that don’t show enough or were never stalled in the first place.

4 Likes

Oh yeah, and I remember my mare 25 yrs ago moving to full turnout. She was tired initially. It’s a big change for a horse that stood in a stall for 18-20 hrs/day. That’s a big huge positive change for a horse that loves being outside and she sure did.

That’s interesting you use the word grieve. I grew up with horses at home, then boarded as an adult, and just three years ago brought my horses home and going back to keeping like we did growing up. No stalling unless we have a horrific ice storm.

Our horses growing up were happy and healthy. No bad injuries, no soft tissue tears. We showed and they were beautiful. And we were successful.

Then move to boarding where my horse stood in a stall for 12-18 hrs a day and started having problems. Suspensory tears, ulcers, stall vices.

Grieve is the word for an animals meant to move, who only sleeps two hours a day. It’s like us sitting in a chair 20 hrs a day.

5 Likes

My horses live out 24/7 and I’m super passionate about it.

But…

You asked, “is there anything else you should know?”

You should know that not all pasture board situations are created equal.

How many horses will he be living with in how large of a field? How does the barn handle making sure horses are socially compatible? Is the shelter truly large enough for all the horses given their social dynamics? How do they make sure the horses get their full rations of feed and hay? How do they handle things like blankets, fly masks, etc.?

I don’t actually expect you to answer all those questions, those are just things you should be considering.

So often you hear, “I tried pasture board and my horse hated it.” But that’s usually because many boarding barns don’t set horses up for pasture board success. You see a lot of overcrowded fields, a lot of fighting between horses, too little shelter for the size of the herd, and so on. Then when you consider some barns don’t provide any amenities to pasture board horses, like feeding grain, putting blankets on in inclement weather, or bug prevention, the horses do even worse.

So if it doesn’t work out right away, it might be because of the barn’s set up.

One of the biggest problems encountered with pasture boarded horses is they tear up their feet stomping at flies. Unless you live in a fly free area, I recommend fly boots for fly season.

Herd bound behaviors can sometimes develop, too. I think the best way to prevent that is to keep a routine of bringing your horse in the barn alone regularly.

Also, sometimes horses forget how to act civil in a stall after living out for a long period of time. Again, the best way to counter that is to keep a routine where they stand in a stall briefly on a regular basis. My horses eat in their stalls 2x a day; otherwise they act like ninnies if I have to bring them inside for something like a farrier appointment. But the stall routine can be a simple as tossing your horse in your retiree’s stall for a few minutes after a ride.

My post sounds really negative— believe me, the benefits of living out 24/7 FAR outweigh the negatives! Horses are sounder, happier, calmer, healthier the more they can live out, so long as their needs are being met.

9 Likes

Horses are a lot hardier than we treat them. Pasture board is the best way to keep MOST horses (there are always exceptions, but IME most horses thrive on pasture board!)

My thoroughbred is a different animal on pasture board, for the better. It’s so good for his body and brain.

You’ve had good coverage from others, my two cents is to remember sometimes its just too hot and uncomfortable for them to wear a fly sheet and that they need UV protection. Invest in good fly spray and/or sunscreen.

2 Likes

As you are moving in the fall, check on arrangements for blanketing during the winter, if needed. The places I have pasture boarded that was the horse owner responsibility. And I lived a 60 mile round trip away. I ended up paying another boarder $5 a day to blanket for me.

My two horses have been at opposite ends of the spectrum with pasture board. My WB came to me at 15 having been an A-Circuit show horse and accustomed to very limited turnout. It was a gradual process convincing him that 12hrs in/12hrs out was an acceptable schedule. We tried 24/7 turnout after he was diagnosed with RAO at 18. He wanted absolutely no part of it, so we stuck with the 12/12 routine that had worked for him up to that point.

My 8yo TB could (and has) done 24/7 turnout, but as others have pointed out, the boarding facility has to have the right care and management strategies. He lived out from May-October the first summer I had him. It was sort of a letdown period while we dealt with some other physical issues. The additional movement and constant grazing were a godsend for him. Large, lush grass pastures meant that his calorie needs were being met while he wasn’t in work. Once fall/winter rolled around and we started legging him back up again, he needed more calories and the feeding situation there just didn’t work for 24/7. Since he needed considerable weight, keeping him warm was a concern too. We ended up bringing him back to a 12/12 schedule to allow for higher calorie forage (alfalfa) than the round bales offered in turnout, and so he could get grain without being bullied off of it. It also allowed us to give him a break from the elements (NWNY winters can be harsh) and prevent him from burning much needed calories trying to maintain his body temperature.

Shelter, safe fencing, and appropriate feeding strategies are paramount for me with any boarding situation, but especially for 24/7 pasture board. Definitely have multiple blanket options if you live in a cold climate - things get soaked or ripped and you’ll want to have a backup. Fly gear in warm weather if necessary, and sun protection if you have a horse prone to sunburn. Make sure someone (you, barn manager, or someone you trust) has eyes and preferably hands on the horse every day. Little nicks and scrapes are expected and usually not an issue, but they can become big problems if they go unnoticed.

If you have the opportunity to stall him periodically, take it. It’s an important life skill IMO, and I’ve seen several 24/7 turnout horses who absolutely could not cope with being in a stall for any length of time. It becomes problematic in the event of injury or emergency, so try to keep that in the toolkit if you can.

2 Likes