Unlimited access >

Another reason to love Phillip and Boyd

How fun

6 Likes

Back when my daughters were teens they rode English and Western. We went to a dressage schooling show and I asked permission if my one daughter could ride a test in western tack. She was going to use a snaffle bit and ride two handed. The deal was she was going to finish with a canter down the center line to a sliding stop. They said NO.

What a shame. It was like politics butting up to the Rep/Dem divide. Iā€™ve never in my life ever been able to accept the inability to have some fun and celebrate all differences. People disappoint me.

3 Likes

Just do that same thing in a dressage saddle. Iā€™ve always wondered what a judge would say to a sliding stop lol

7 Likes

Sliding stops on the wrong footing are a really bad idea.

That sort of request needs to be ironed out in advance. Someone is getting paid to judge dressage, not to watch a kid do her own thing on a pattern.

I would have said no, can you tell ?

19 Likes

@Djones jones I was going to say the same thing about the footing. My sister is a reiner and is sooooo picky on footing. She was at a reining venue even and found the footing too sticky and her horse locked his stifle doing a sliding stop and was out for the remainder of the year. I know dressage/hunter/jumper footing is a lot different (as in sticky/fibre footing) which is no good for sliding stops and sliding shoes. She picks and chooses her shows now based on footing.

Sorry OP, off topic here! I originally opened it as I thought you were talking about Boyd Exell and Prince Phillip, both very into Combined Driving

5 Likes

It was at a benefit ā€™ fun show ā€™ type venue and the tests were on dirt. About like the arenas at 4-H. I also told them it could be HC, not scored.

1 Like

Probably something along the lines of ā€˜abruptā€™ and some comments about the disrupted rhythm, lack of [dressage-defined] balance, squareness, and stepping backwards out of the slide. :joy: Iā€™m not a judge and I donā€™t play one on TV, but depending on the judge Iā€™d expect to see a 1-4 score for a slide.

Iā€™m actually kind of surprised that this was their first time ever riding ā€œwesternā€ :joy: sounds like they were good sports though and made an honest effort. Boydā€™s giant belt buckle was hilarious. I wish there was more video of it but I suppose that would just get picked apart.

5 Likes

Dressage attracts people with attention to detail and accuracy. Shrug.

4 Likes

TBH, I thought Boyd Exell and a horse whose barn name was Philipā€¦

@cattywampus - lol!!!

Boyd (Excell) is in the area and doing a clinic so I really thought this thread was about him ha ha! A friend of mine is doing his clinic with a pair of ponies (family bred ones) and Iā€™m so excited for her!! What an opportunity!!

3 Likes

Wouldnā€™t this be in the driving forum were it that Boyd?

Back at the dawn of time, the dressage was in a field with very short grass on a very rainy day. Total slop. My good little soldier trucked straight down the center line and his halt became a sliding stop. Straight and round and on his hocks. The judge gave a 5, ā€œloss of balanceā€. It may not have been what she was looking for but it certainly had balance!

3 Likes

No sense of humor! Now Western Dressage is a thing. And very popular!

1 Like

I canā€™t believe Phillip tucked his jeans into his boots! Oh well, howā€™s he supposed to know that isnā€™t done.

1 Like

One year at ponyclub rally, we had Molly, whoā€™s horse was Amy, and the team across the aisle, had Amy whoā€™s horse was Molly.

As a driving fan, I admire Boyd E as well.

1 Like

That would be the logical assumption, but my brain jumps to conclusions.

1 Like

She was doing a dressage show, not reining, Agree about the different footing.

1 Like