Unlimited access >

Another Saddle Fit Thread! Help me narrow the list!

Initial Disclaimer: I work with a high quality professional saddle fitter. She only carries one brand of saddles, but will fit anything I find on my own that has the right basic shape. OK, now that that is out of the way…

I have a 12 year old 16.1 hand Dutch Harness Horse gelding. He was previously a buggy horse, but has been under saddle for about 3.5 years. Saddle has always been professionally fit to him, and I was always an after thought (as is my way :wink: ) but as we improve and get to some of the finer points of the basics in order to move up, both of our fit in our current saddle (18" Custom Signature Wolfgang Solo) is presenting some issues. I find myself working hard to not sit on the back of the saddle and tip forward. That exacerbates the issues that I think the saddle is too long for my horse’s comfort. He is not particularly short backed, but I think the area where he is comfortable supporting my weight is on the short side. So I am looking for suggestions that might work for the following issues:
Rider:
*Long femur
*Plus size (although working on that and am almost to where I wouldn’t consider myself that any longer)
*Amateur who works a desk job, so tendency to have tight hip flexors

Horse:
*Upright neck with decent withers
*Big shoulder
*Almost completely straight from base of withers to SI joint

Saddles I am considering that have upswept panels or otherwise compact fit:
*Jaguar XKC
*Hennig Classic
*Spirig
*Verhan Odyssey
*Amerigo Close Contact Dressage
*Roosli Pilatus

I’m very open to other suggestions, these are just saddles I have found that I can try without too much effort or cost shipping back and forth.

I love Hennigs, but they won’t sell a tree to the US, so if you are confident that the tree is ok–try it. Otherwise, pass on it.

I am really impressed by Lovett’s & Ricketts.

Does your saddle fitter agree with your assessment that the tree is too long?

A couple of points here - I did not state the tree was too long. I feel the panels extend past where my horse is comfortable bearing weight.

I’m still waiting on my saddle fitters response - it was a holiday weekend and I sent quite a lot of information. That being said, it should not come as a surprise to her that this is becoming an issue, as I voiced my concern when we first fit the saddle to him. But he seemed comfortable with it until recently, as did I. I guess we both changed enough to need to revisit.

My question to you is why this information needed to be shared? I was simply asking for people’s experience with saddles that have a narrow twist and a compact fit.

I wonder if instead of looking at a compact fit, maybe you are looking for a saddle that has a forward balance? Just a thought.

ETA I’m pretty sure Amerigos are forward balance saddles

I’m sorry, I didn’t realize you were limiting your question to specific saddle specs…

I took “open to all suggestions” literally.

You sound like you have a great fitter that you trust and I thought perhaps she will recommend that you don’t need to limit your search to “compact” saddles, in which case it might open up the possibilities.

I ride in an 18 and have a long femur and tight hip flexors. For me, I needed blocks that didn’t force my leg back, which allowed me to sit on my seat bones in the center of the saddle.

I ended up with short block Custom Advantage R.

Saddle-fitting is only second to horse-shopping as a frustrating experience. Good luck!

2 Likes

This little experiment is to see which came first - the length of the saddle causes soreness, causing him to drop his back and tip the saddle balance backwards OR the saddle balance is already too far back for me, causing undue pressure on the back part of the panels, leading to his sore back. Chicken and egg and all that.

I’ll look into Amerigos too, hopefully I can find one to try! Thanks!

I am open to suggestions, but you didn’t offer any. :woman_shrugging: If my saddle fitter, who I do trust, but is also human and deals mostly with Custom Saddlery models, had offered some suggestions I would have included that information. I was looking for experiences outside of what she and I might come up with together.

I agree that saddle fitting can be a frustrating experience, especially as it seems to be never ending as you move up the levels with a green bean. My horse is also a delicate flower that seems to have a much narrower view of what is acceptable than my previous horses.

1 Like

I was wondering why it seemed Hennigs were everywhere and then poof gone. Any and all saddles that end up in final contention will be thoroughly examined by the saddle fitter, including dropping the panels to examine the tree. But thank you for the warning, I wasn’t aware of the change!

I’m intrigued by Lovett’s and Ricketts – there is a saddle fitter not too far from me that I believe carries them. I wonder if I she has a demo I can sit in… Thank you for the suggestion, I haven’t seen many out and about!

Ann Forrest at equestrian imports has amerigos and is very knowledgeable about them (and the other brands she carries). I would contact her she could probably help you, she does long distance fittings quite well.

1 Like

Ooooohhh, thank you! She actually has an Amerigo that is the correct seat size AND in my budget! I’m sure the shipping will cost an arm and a leg, but worth it if it works!

2 Likes

Be sure and pay for a fitting evaluation it will be cheaper in the long run :blush:

I rode in Hennigs for 23 years. Tried to get a new tree in one of my saddles and learned that they won’t deal outside of the EU anymore, not even in to the UK. I then switched to Lovatt & Ricketts and am very happy with the fit, the service, and the options. I am waiting for my saddle to be delivered, but the demo I have has two options for stirrup leathers, four options for the billets (you can easily switch them yourself) and three options for blocks (they velcro on). You can get a very tailored fit for you and for the horse, there are several different models and trees, and all are very nice compact fits. I had a hard time finding an extra wide tree with a narrow twist and this saddle fit my horses like custom. My two year old has a healthy withers and will need a different type of tree and L & R offers a saddle to fit him too–all for a reasonable price. I am very happy with the quality, the options, and the service.

3 Likes

I’m going to revive this thread since I have some new information! So, when I say compact fit, I mean REALLY compact! He has about 19.5" of saddle support area. After that he gets back sore. He also looks like he has a decent curve to his back when standing on cross ties or feeling lazy, but when that back come up it comes UP! So we need a saddle with very little curve to the tree from front to back.

We have been lucky enough to be able to borrow a Stubben Serenity from a friend, but she needs to sell it, and I don’t think it’s quite right. But WAY better than the Custom I own. It’s a 27 cm tree, which I think is slightly too narrow although not so bad that it pinches him. It also seems to bridge a little, but my horse seems to actually prefer that so there is a space for him to lift his back into. But I don’t know that, with consistent work, it won’t cause issues.

I did have a fitter out, but I got the distinct feeling she was going to say whatever she needed to in order to make a sale. I had her evaluate the Stubben and she said it fit him fine, but she didn’t even girth it down or watch me ride in it. So I’m taking that with a block of salt!!

Anyone have any brand recommendations that might be a good place to start?

I have been having a very good experience in a Tota Freedom with my short backed mare. Her issue is less length of back, but she requires generous space at the base of withers, and she hates-hates-hates tree points that dig into her shoulders.

My saddle fitter sells a lot of Passier compacts and Ryder Natives for short-backed horses. Before I got the Tota, I was riding in a Ryder Baroque with a fairly neutral tree. Fairfax saddles also have a fairly neutral tree shape. Is there an independent saddle fitter near you?

Thank you for sharing your experience! I do have a couple of independent fitters, but I wouldn’t say they were exactly “near me”! :wink: But I have started the process with a couple of them with photos, videos and some wither tracings to at least get started. Everyone who is truly near me is a brand rep and/or has a terrible reputation. I would be ok with a rep that carries several brands that could bring a few options to try. But I really don’t trust that they will be honest with me. Although I have started to trust my horse’s reactions to saddles, so maybe it would be better than before. Even though he is 12 yo, he’s only been under saddle for less than 4 years. So previously, it was hard to differentiate being uncomfortable and just being green and spicy.

Just wondering what saddle you ended up in and whether you like it. I have a 5yo DHH I have been riding in a Wolfgang Solo but his wither is so high the saddle tips back and I am constantly landing in the back of the saddle and in a chair seat. This is with the panels as full as they can be and using a shim pad built up in the back. Would love to hear your experience with different saddles and what you ended up with!

YES! This is exactly what I was experiencing. The high wither, big shoulder and generally upright neck makes any saddle with the balance more behind the horse’s center of gravity (which I found all the Customs to be) do this. In October, I purchased a used Prestige that worked ok over the winter while my independent fitter was in Florida.

In the spring, I got his SI injected and that made him so much more comfortable that his topline exploded. It made the Prestige way too tight and the girthing system pinched his shoulder. I had thought the trees on the Prestige were adjustable but my fitter tells me no, so I started working with my fitter to find a better fit. She left me with an Amerigo with the classic tree (not the Cervia) and it was a touch too wide, but she was able to flock it and it was balanced. So far, so good with much better should freedom and huge improvement in our bugaboo - downward canter to trot transitions. So I assume better balance as well.

I will also say I spoke with my fitter about some left/right shift, but we both came to the conclusion that it isn’t the saddle shifting but that when he overbends his neck (he’s gumby horse - hypermobile per the vet) he rolls his barrel - and ME - to the outside of the bend. So we are going to watch the fit and talk to the trainer about improving his balance over all four feet. Since your guy is young, I thought I throw that out there as well!

Sorry for the novel! If you want more details, I’m happy to write chapter 2! :wink: :grin:

1 Like

Thank you - this is so helpful! I was originally thrilled to find the Wolfgang Solo fit because I was having a difficult time finding anything that worked when he was 4 but my fitter initially only looked at it on his back without him moving or me riding. Cut to 8 months later and every time I watch a video of myself riding I cringe at my position. I really didn’t want to think about having to go through the whole saddle fitting process again but she was out for another horse and I showed her my video and she was basically like you can’t ride in this anymore. Not only is it putting me in a really bad position but when my horse is moving it is not fitting him correctly. I also question whether this is why my hips have been hurting! My fitter is currently looking for something that will work for me. She is independent (although she has repped brands in the past) and I trust her but just thought it couldn’t hurt to see what others have found works for DHHs since their withers are so high and their backs are relatively flat. Sounds like my saddle fitting saga is on to part 2!!! Good luck with your guy - I love these DHHs!

I love my DHH to the moon and back but the struggle to fit a saddle to a driving-bred horse is REAL. He also has a ton of motion in his back when he moves so I found static fit for these guys tell you very little of the story.

1 Like