Unlimited access >

Another Saddle thread

Hi-
I am going through fit issues, again :confused::mad: . I tried my BO’s old saddle today on my horse and I loved it, not so sure about the fit for my horse. These photos are after a short, easy ride - 3hrs, walk/trot/bit of canter on easy terrain, lots of walking. Any advice? Saddles to try/avoid? I would love to find a dressage type saddle with narrow twist for me,but fit for her is more important. The saddle on her is a Stubben, but I can’t find any tree width/measurements stamped on it. We are currently doing 50s with some multidays. The picture in which she doesn’t look like a woolly mammoth is from this summer, when she was in regular work and great shape, but she doesn’t change a bunch during the year.

Thank you for any advice.

I ride Endurance in the Frank Baines Enduro but also take my dressage lessons in it. Love it and has worked very well for me and my mare. But you have to stay on top of fitting and reflocking as with all English wool-stuffed saddles (I have it done twice a year.)
Not sure where exactly you are in Northern California but I will PM you with my saddlefitter’s info. She is in demand and a bit hard to schedule but it’ll be worth it as she will make recommendations once she sees your horse (and you) and will have demo saddles at hand.

I’m in N. Humboldt County, but will be heading down to Sonoma County w/ the horse over the holidays.

If anyone knows of good fitters in my area, please let me know.

Jenn Stouffer is a pretty good fitter; she’s in Oregon, but might be able to help you out. Susan and David Hartje are in Plymouth, and they travel.

If you can’t find someone locally, I highly recommend working long-distance with Nancy Okun of The Owl and the Rose Distance Tack. She formerly worked at Trumbull Mtn., and is an excellent long-distance fitter. She works through the use of photos and templates (video tutorial at http://pantherrunsaddlery.com/?page_id=434), and her email is nancybokun@gmail.com.

Thank you all for your responses. From the photos (https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...1&l=067de0b052 ), can you recommend any saddle features to look for/avoid?

Flatter tree, deeper front panel (possibly a full front gusset, too), minimal rear panel.

Your saddle pad (for sale) is interesting–the one with the panels on top of the full pad. Can you pm me about it—brand, dimensions, price, condition? Or just post in this thread if it’s allowed and you think others might be interested. Thx.

OOOoops. If it’s the “no name”, I found the description. I’ll pm you.

The pad in the picture for saddle fitting is a tolkat woolback. It has room for inserts but I do not have them in the pad. If you were looking at my tack for sale album, that pad has sold.