Unlimited access >

another spinal injury....

So we put our older gelding down June due to spinal compression. he was living the good life being a companion horse until he started to fall every time he put his head down…
In August we purchased on OTTB and life has been great with him…until Monday afternoon.
He was taken out of the stall and just about fell into the aisle. Walking with his hind end out of sync with his shoulders and unable to stand still, clenching his whole body due to the pain.
Vet came out, gave him meds, see how he is in the morning. Tuesday morning, absolutely no change, still in so much pain. Have him heavy duty anti-inflammatorys, if he isn’t better by tomorrow (Wednesday) then she recommended putting him down. :cry:
WTF :eek: He is six years old!
So today I go down and he is SO much better. Still have no idea what he did or anything. But unfortunately his career as a riding horse may be over. :cry:
Is there any possibility that he can recover with a riding career after this. Anything else I should look into for him?

TIA

Id get a full work up done, preferably at a clinic if he does not completely recover soon. Many have been posting lately sharing stories of how much money they wasted treating what was not wrong or trying to keep one going thinking it was a treatable condition when it was only prolonging the inevitable while draining the checkbook.

Best to know. He’s still full of painkillers so too early to say he just must have gotten cast and banged himself up or pinched a nerve when rolling.

Good luck. Sucks when this kind of thing happens.

What diagnostics have you done? It’s hard to say whether or not it will get better unless you know what is wrong. I agree with findeight - I’d just haul into a clinic and get him looked at.

taking to a clinic would be ideal, but cruel and unusual punishment. he would never make the trip.
he walks with his hind end to the right. kind of like this \ but more disjointed.
i will get back in a few with what we have done diagnostically