Another Way to buy itty bitty shares in a horse!

For anyone with shares in Hero Status (I think there are still some available), he’s showing some promise in his works. SA clockers got him in 35.8 for three furlongs yesterday, and his trainer (Mark Glatt) timed him in 48 and change for a half mile.

Hero Status is a 3yo Flatter-Echo Warrior colt. He hasn’t started yet. They stopped on him last year when he developed a very minor tendon injury early in his training.

3 Likes

Spendthrift DID sell their interest in her to MRH for $8000 late last year, but she was claimed on Friday. So your friend was right. :slight_smile:

I do. I’ve been happily following his progress.

2 Likes

Search Engine finally broke his maiden at Delta Downs.

2 Likes

WMW would have been thrilled. :innocent: :broken_heart:

3 Likes

Chasing Time will be running from pp 8 in the Rebel on Saturday.

1 Like

My SO offered to make the trip to Hot Springs so we could see Chasing Time run. This is one reason why I love the man.
Ultimately I decided against it…16+ hours of drive time in 48 hours is just a bit too much. Maybe if things keep looking up, I’ll take SO up on the offer for the next start, when there’s some time to plan travel that isn’t quite so wearying.

1 Like

Hero Status

Hero Status breezed his second half-mile yesterday morning at Santa Anita in 49.00 seconds. The 3-year-old colt worked in company on the outside of stablemate Grazed, an experienced runner. Very similar to last week’s breeze, Hero Status started off of the hip of his workmate and finished up on even terms as they hit the wire.

Mrs. Whistler

Mrs Whistler worked three furlongs by herself at Palm Meadows this morning. The Saffie Joseph Jr.-trained daughter of Tonalist finished the drill in 38.90 seconds. Saffie said that Mrs Whistler is continuing to improve and that we aren’t too far away from seeing her at the races, with a target race to be determined at a later date.

I bet y’all can help out.

For his upcoming birthday, I want to buy my dad a share in a racehorse or two on My Racehorse. He’s turning 86, but his boyhood jobs in NYC were all horse-related, including a stint galloping Thoroughbreds returning to the track after rehabbing injuries and a period where he was a hot walker at Belmont. He was drafted to the Korean conflict when he was at Belmont. He never really returned to horses again…though he certainly passed the horse gene on to me.

You all know much more about racing and training than I. Are there any of the current My Racehorse offerings that make your heart beat a little faster? Which among the current horses do you fancy?

3 Likes

Congratulations to any owners here of Forbidden Kingdom. Looks like he is going to the Kentucky Derby.

3 Likes

I would pick up Balletic, Cable Boss, Rosie’s Alibi, or Who Runs the World. They’re all early 2 year olds so he would get in right on the ground floor and get to experience all of it.

Since he was acquainted with the New York scene, perhaps pick some horses with east coast trainers. I think it’s a great idea, BTW.

1 Like

Thanks, y’all!

I had my eye on Balletic and Rosie’s Alibi in particular. Maybe I’ll even get him two…

Appreciate the input!

1 Like

The way it used to work (haven’t done it lately) is you buy someone a gift card and they have to set up their own account. Or in my dad’s case, I walked him through setting up and account.

I just say this because maybe you can let him pick.

I had his relevant info and was able to pick out and pay for Rosie’s Alibi. I saw that you could do the gift card option, but I wanted to present it to him as a done deal, a surprise. He was super pleased when I called tonight and had him open the welcome email over the phone. Really fun to see him so tickled. He’s the caregiver for my mom, who has moderate dementia, so it’ll be a nice thing for him to track and show/tell her about.

13 Likes

I really like the horses in the Chad Brown Bundle. the AP colt is lovely. The Malibu Moon filly is beautiful as well and the European filly is very sporty. lovely trio of horses. I do not think I could jump on the MRH bandwagon without being able to retire them to my barn (if they didn’t make the grade to be breeding prospects)

2 Likes

Provocateur wins in the Hutchinson

Psychedelic Shack wins his debut.

2 Likes

Horse racing is sure taking a beating these days as it competes with people’s leisure time money. I had my Kentucky Thoroughbred trainers license, in the '80’s, primarily so that I could train and exercise our own horses. TB’s weren’t really my favorite breed but it saved us (at that time) $60/day to train two two-year-olds. I loved to read everything I could get my hands on, regarding racing young stock. At that time, someone had done a study regarding the odds of actually making money on a race horse. They followed every single yearling sold in a previous yearling sale at Ocala Sales, and we’re talking approx 500, I believe. By the time these horses were 4 year olds only 2 made a profit and 9 broke even. The rest of them lost money or never made it to the track. I’ll never forget that study and that is the main reason why I would never invest a dime in racing. The best horses are never going to be offered to the public.

I think the key word that you use is “invest”. I “own” bits of two MyRacehorses. I consider the expense to be part of my entertainment budget, not my retirement plan. Therefore, not an investment.

I think that non-horse people may think they can make money buying horses. Those of us who know horses know that the best way to make a million dollars in horses is by starting with two million.

I enjoy following both horses I “own”, one of which has been pretty successful and one of which I doubt will ever run. I have learned a lot about how racehorses are trained, which has been very interesting. (I come from hunter/jumper world.) All in all, no regrets.

10 Likes