Unlimited access >

(Another) Wide Noseband Hunter Bridle Thread

I just got a new Arion saddle (love!) and have a bridle coming soon—I’ll report back.

I only used them when hacking friends’ horses so cannot report on long-term wear, alas!

While looking online for reviews of the Arion bridle, I stumbled on the exact bridle I like on sale for $350. Not sure what kind of sorcery this is, but the prices for bridles on Chagrin Saddlery’s website are not to be believed. I did order the Arion bridle. I hope they’re selling true brand new bridles and not manufacturers irregulars or something! The website looked legit, so I went ahead with the purchase. Fingers crossed :crossed_fingers:

2 Likes

I’m not even seeing the Arion bridle on their website - I wonder if you got the last one? Fingers crossed!

I looked and didn’t see it, either.

@Rel6 @NaturallyHappy

You’re both right, it’s gone. Now that makes me even more nervous that it’s a return or something other than a brand new, unused, undamaged bridle… :thinking:

I would take a return (with no defects/undamaged) or like new version of that bridle for that price. Maybe just reach out to the company?

1 Like

I would, too. They are reputable, I believe.

Well it appears I may have scored the deal of a century. I called Chagrin and they said the bridle is brand new and beautiful. It was only discounted because their customers are more familiar with/prefer Edgewood and ADT, so the bridle has been sitting a while and they decided they needed get it sold. They could not have been nicer to speak with! They were excited the bridle sold and encouraged me to give them feedback and let me know what I thought of it!

9 Likes

While we’re on the subject does anyone know what is going on with the Aramas brand? I always remembered those being an excellent mid range type bridle, pretty with great leather quality. I was looking for them yesterday and could hardly find them sold anywhere.

Text
1 Like

I just picked up the Pessoa Pro on a Memorial Day sale and am very impressed with the leather quality (and I’m kind of a leather snob/bridle hoarder!). It came soft, but I oiled it twice and already have gotten a few good comments. My barn mate has the Ovation and I was impressed with the leather quality on that for the price too.

1 Like

You lucky dog! Supremely jealous—please update when it arrives.

1 Like

Color me “green w envy”. Ummm, if you don’t like it, please let me know.:wink:

1 Like

I love my Aramas wide noseband bridle - it was a steal! Tenney’s Saddlery in Florida is the only reliable source for them that I’m aware of these days, and they have sales pretty frequently. http://shop.ordertenneys.com/bridles/aramas-1505-fancy-mild-square-raised-bridle-with-fancy-lace-reins/

1 Like

I saw them in the ERS catalog this year, and one of my local tack shop still carries them (as well as Tenney’s, as mentioned). I’ve also noticed that both Aramas and Americana bridles aren’t carried by a wide selection of tack shops anymore, and many companies that formerly had their strapgoods made by HK don’t anymore. It’s a shame, as they are very nice for the price!

I haven’t seen the Arion bridles yet, though I’ve been curious about them. Good luck, I hope you like yours!

I’m personally not crazy about Red Barn, as it has kind of a plasticky finish to it IMO. I don’t know that I’ve seen recent Pessoa bridles (I have one, but it’s 20+ years old from when they were made in England), but I like my older Ovation (though I agree that the newer ones unfortunately seem more hit or miss). I have several Ovation products I’ve been really impressed with, most of which are close to a decade old or more, but haven’t tried much of their new stuff. I have the Ovation Elite RCS and Ovation Classic Collection bridles, and they’re solid schooling bridles (nothing fancy, but does the job), but not quite as nice as my older Ovation. I’ve heard the current Pessoas and Ovations are extremely similar in quality.

I have an Aramas that meets your description as well and love it! I’ve purchased most of mine used or old stock and have gotten some really nice bridles for great prices.

Arion is the old Devoucoux rep’s brand, I believe. So the quality is on-par from what you would have expected 10-15 years ago with Devoucoux. I sat in one of their saddles a bunch of times this summer and loved it.

I ordered the bridle from Dover; it is huge. The browband measured 18 inches. I’m returning it. They don’t have cob size available.

I know you haven’t listed it but I love my ADT Scott Stewart bridle- the leather used to be not so great but the one I just bought is beautiful after a little oiling and looks sharp

Thanks for this…,glad to know the leather is better.