Unlimited access >

Antares - leg position

Just another thought-I ride like that when my hips are out. A quick snap and pop at the chiro and I’m straight again. I actually got rid of a saddle or two thinking they were for some reason causing it but then I started going to the chiro and that solved the problem!

I’m also curious as to which “reputable website” it was purchased from as there is one specifically that is talked about here and on the English Tack Trader group that has a less than stellar track record and if it came from that seller, well, a wonky saddle would probably be par for course.

A custom saddle (of any brand) also could potentially have panels that were deliberately padded/shaped unevenly to custom fit a horse with an unevenly shaped back. Obviously a saddle like this would have a fit very specific to that particular horse and could cause problems like what you describe when used on a different horse.

Even though I think it has been a while since you purchased the saddle, I would see if the seller would consider taking the saddle back perhaps as a trade in, and if not, contact Antares to see if they have any suggestions. I feel badly for you that you didn’t follow your instincts–when you ride in a nice saddle that fits you well, the feeling should be “Wow,” not “Hmmm.” But I don’t think you should blame yourself. My advice is before purchasing a $$$$ saddle, be sure to ride in enough saddles so that you know that WOW feeling when you come across it.

Do you have a reputable saddle fitter or an Antares Rep in your area that could look at the saddle to see if there are any glaring problems with it - uneven flocking, twisted tree etc. Is it possible the stirrup bar is located differently than the other side? If you look down at the saddle and pull the leather up to see the stirrup bars do they look directly parallel to each other? I have seen a few saddles made that were not exact on both sides. In fact that is the first thing I look for on a saddle when I purchase them. You can call the seller and see if you can return or trade the saddle; however, 30+ days have passed, I’m guessing that probably won’t happen, since most trials are 7 +/- days. If that’s the case call Antares and see what they say.

[QUOTE=doublesstable;7409362]
I would doubt it’s the Antares, but the person that used to own it. It sounds like you bought a used Antares… ?

If that is the case, the old owner probably rode crooked (many of us do) or on a horse that was crooked (many of them are) and you bought it.

It fits on your horse differently and can put you out of the correct place because of it. It probably does fit you okay and your trainer is also probably right about that. But saying that, it doesn’t mean it’s not crooked.

I would call the seller and tell them what you are feeling and see what they recommend. If they can fix it, trade it in, etc.

It’s not the end of the world… sounds like there are solutions…[/QUOTE]

I dislike Antares more than the average person, but I also agree with this. Most horses are not 100 percent evenly muscled, and many riders/horses are crooked. What you are feeling may be the result of this, either with a prior horse or with your own horse or yourself simply being crooked. It’s possible this saddle just exacerbates a problem you already have. Or it’s possible that the saddle really is broken in crookedly. If it were wool flocked, this might be something that could be fixed with reflocking. But maybe the panels can be replaced if one is more broken down than the other? I’d have a saddle fitter take a look at it on your horse for sure.