Unlimited access >

Antares - leg position

I just got my first “nice” calfskin saddle for Christmas- 2007 Antares, and am beginning to think it is the biggest mistake ever. My left leg is constantly an inch or 2 behind where it should be. My right leg has no problems. I’ve tried shortening stirrups, it has calfskin leathers. I have NEVER encountered this in ANY saddle I have ever ridden in for 20+ years- Butet, Crosby, no name 20+ year old saddles, Pessoa, etc. I thought the calfskin was supposed to lock you in and make your overall position much better. I am almost positive I’m going to trade it in, but my trainer doesn’t want me to yet. I’m not keeping a $2500 saddle if I don’t like it!

Has anyone dealt with ANYTHING like this??

Is it just that particular saddle?

I find various styles of the Antares tip me forward and cause my leg to swing back as well. I hate that feeling!

Did you have an Antares and switch to another brand? If so, which?

Thank you!

It would help to see photos, everyone’s conformation is different. Could be that the saddle is NQR for your build. Hard to say in the abstract. Saddle could also be twisted/uneven. I have seen saddles with 2 different flaps (not on purpose) or that had warped/strange trees so sat unevenly on the horse.

I can try to post pictures. My trainer looked at me ride in it and said it fit me fine, but she did notice my left leg slip back. I got it from a reputable website (not a private seller) so I would assume she would know if the tree was sound?

[QUOTE=hunterjumperrider1;7409079]
I can try to post pictures. My trainer looked at me ride in it and said it fit me fine, but she did notice my left leg slip back. I got it from a reputable website (not a private seller) so I would assume she would know if the tree was sound?[/QUOTE]

Who knows? Could be a latent tree issue or slightly different flaps. Have you tried to measure them?

Regardless, if the tree is skewed or the flap lengths are different, shouldn’t I just sell it or just trade it in? I mean there’s no way to rectify this right? And even if I could, it would cost more money.

Sounds like something is wonky with your saddle. My Antares sits me perfectly for me. Maybe have Antares take a look at it??

[QUOTE=hunterjumperrider1;7409154]
Regardless, if the tree is skewed or the flap lengths are different, shouldn’t I just sell it or just trade it in? I mean there’s no way to rectify this right? And even if I could, it would cost more money.[/QUOTE]

Are you asking me if I would want a saddle that’s all wonky? No. I would not.

Yes please don’t sell a saddle you think is wonky. Find out what’s wrong with it and fix it or disclose the issue.

Should I contact the seller and try to get my money back for selling me a faulty saddle? I did have a trial but didn’t notice it after one 15 minute ride with the leathers wrapped. Buyer beware?

[QUOTE=hunterjumperrider1;7409216]
Should I contact the seller and try to get my money back for selling me a faulty saddle? I did have a trial but didn’t notice it after one 15 minute ride with the leathers wrapped. Buyer beware?[/QUOTE]

What’s the timeframe here? You bought this before Christmas? I think, if you felt the saddle was skewy, you should have reported it sooner.

Bought it on Dec. 24, ridden in it 4x. I told my trainer I didn’t like it but she kind of laughed it off and told me to keep with it, so I did, as she’s a professional trainer at an “A” rated barn with tons of experience with premium, French saddles.

[QUOTE=hunterjumperrider1;7409259]
she’s a professional trainer at an “A” rated barn with tons of experience with premium, French saddles.[/QUOTE]

I bet :wink: it’s not really the seller’s fault that you felt so confident in your trainer’s opinion that you trusted it over what you could feel, right? I’d do a close examination/measurement and get the saddle evaluated by a saddle fitter to see if you can figure out what is wrong (if anything) and then I’d contact Antares and see if they’ll do anything for you. Barring that, I’d sell it with full disclosure.

Are you saying I’m lying about her being a professional at a hunter show barn? :slight_smile: I’m a newbie to the “A” hunter (I was a former eventer) world so of course I’m going to trust someone with more knowledge. But I guess I should have trusted my gut.

[QUOTE=hunterjumperrider1;7409287]
Are you saying I’m lying about her being a professional at a hunter show barn? :slight_smile: I’m a newbie to the “A” hunter (I was a former eventer) world so of course I’m going to trust someone with more knowledge. But I guess I should have trusted my gut.[/QUOTE]

I’m saying that she may have a lot of experience with saddles but that doesn’t make her a saddle fitter. I’ve been driving cars since I was 16 but I’m not a mechanic :wink: and if SHE didn’t ride in, how would she feel it?

The fact that she “laughed off” you saying the saddle felt NQR (even thought she could see only one leg slipping back)… well, someone who was so dismissive relating to a big $$$ purchase for me would not be someone whose opinion I’d be relying on.

AND many trainers have financial incentives that cause them to prefer one saddle brand over another. Getting kickbacks to sell Brand X doesn’t make me take the trainer’s position particularly seriously. In fact, it makes me question her objectivity. A lot of trainer’s “experience” with saddles amounts to knowing they get a freebie for every 5 they shill on their students. That’s a really different “body of knowledge” than being able to evaluate saddle construction/fit.

I’d be curious to see photos. Measure… see if the flaps are even and if the tree is level side to side and front to back.

Well, she owns a Butet and Devoucoux so I don’t think she’s getting kickbacks. But on the other hand, if she chose those brands over Antares that could mean something too.

It could be that the saddle was custom made for someone else and the thing that’s messing up your leg was actually built/designed to fix someone else’s leg. That’s the thing about buying second-hand custom saddles - they were made to fit someone perfectly, and some of them are VERY customized. So, it may not be a faulty saddle - it just isn’t right for you. My sister’s custom saddle’s blocks are positioned differently because of the body she was born with.

I would doubt it’s the Antares, but the person that used to own it. It sounds like you bought a used Antares… ?

If that is the case, the old owner probably rode crooked (many of us do) or on a horse that was crooked (many of them are) and you bought it.

It fits on your horse differently and can put you out of the correct place because of it. It probably does fit you okay and your trainer is also probably right about that. But saying that, it doesn’t mean it’s not crooked.

I would call the seller and tell them what you are feeling and see what they recommend. If they can fix it, trade it in, etc.

It’s not the end of the world… sounds like there are solutions…

I would doubt it’s the Antares, but the person that used to own it. It sounds like you bought a used Antares… ?

If that is the case, the old owner probably rode crooked (many of us do) or on a horse that was crooked (many of them are) and you bought it.

It fits on your horse differently and can put you out of the correct place because of it. It probably does fit you okay and your trainer is also probably right about that. But saying that, it doesn’t mean it’s not crooked.

I would call the seller and tell them what you are feeling and see what they recommend. If they can fix it, trade it in, etc.

This. Absolutely probable. I’ve looked at used saddles for other folks & how they’re broken in even before I see them on the horse. If the wear area from the stirrup leather goes straight down from the bar, then I’ll look at it on the horse & under the rider; if the wear area isn’t vertical or is really wide (like the leg slipping back over jumps) I tell the rider to look elsewhere, even if it’s a good deal. Unless they ride exactly the same way they’ll be fighting that position from the previous rider forever.