Unlimited access >

Anterior hip replacement

I am scheduled for an anterior hip replacement Aug. 23. I would appreciate hearing from anyone who has had the surgery, especially fellow dressage riders over 50. If there’s a thread I’ve missed, please point me to it. Looking for advice and sharing experiences. It is to the point that I can barely get on my horse and ride at the walk. Thanks in advance.

My former trainer had hers done in Feb. Back on in 8 weeks, doing a full day’s worth of training at 12 weeks. Her main competition horse is I1/I2, and she rides horses up to GP.

Walking w/o a cane after a few days

Had a mini posterior done in 2012 at the age of 53 ( little medical malpractice mixup, as I thought it was going to be an anterior…). Anyway, was in pain all the time and was like a wooden clothespin- just as rigid as could be- no hip range of motion at all. Was back on a horse at 5 weeks, and did 2cd level finals 12 weeks later. Eventing and jumping later that fall, and now doing 3rd level and training eventing. Wish I had done it sooner( and gotten an anterior). Worth every minute and thinking the other hip is next on the list

Greetings Elizabeth! I’m so impressed that you’re jumping at 50+! I’m the same age and a green, green beginner only recently on a horse after 30 years. I have no idea about realistic expectations! Have you been riding all your life? Oh, congrats on recovering from the hip surgery!

That is very encouraging, thanks!

Thank you! That is very encouraging. I apologize if this posts twice. My internet connection seems unstable today.