Unlimited access >

Any COVID survivors here?

Just seeing how everyone is doing now?

I’m waiting on test results. Going in week 2 or so of symptoms. Started off really mild, I thought it was from smoke from wild fires. Now I’m definitely sick. I’m hoping it’s not covid…

I hope everyone is doing much better now.

Week 33, still symptomatic but slowly improving

2 Likes

My husband’s smell and taste still haven’t returned, we’re now on 6.5 months I think…

1 Like

Not personally, but I have 2 friends that have had it and recovered, one in her early 30s was sick as a dog with symptoms like having a bronchitis and flu at the same time for about 10 days, then slowly recovered over the next 2 weeks. Another in his early 50s has been exhausted, tight chest, intermittent cough and on and off fever and general soreness for over 2 months now.

1 Like

I personally know a couple of people who have died from it.

4 Likes

I have had it and several coworkers as well. I never had a fever but originally it started as a sore throat that turned into not being able to keep anything down at all. After that I had light chest pain and a slight cough. The exhaustion was horrible as well. I would sleep for 12 hours then shower and have to go lay back down.

Now two months after my chest still hurts after activity and my heart rate isn’t the best. My smell is slowly coming back.

My husband had one day he didn’t feel great and that’s it. We think he has actually had it twice.

We both tested positive with the nasal swab test.

It’s honestly reminds me of how I felt when I had mono.

2 Likes

This thread is so important today, maybe it ought to be repeated in the Off Topic forum, where everyone will notice it?

Thanks for the information, very interesting how it has and is affecting different people.

5 Likes

Probably. Back in late January/early February, out of work for over a week because getting out of bed was not happening, coughing for about a month, exhausted for several more. All of the right symptoms, including loss of sense of smell, which remains very iffy. Almost, but not quite had to go to the ER one night when I could Not breath. It was definitely not the flu. Whatever it was it went through the office like a wildfire, probably came with my boss who was out for several weeks with what was assumed to be walking pneumonia. He was the first person in the office who became sick; and he got sick shortly after a weekend visit with a client who had just returned from China and was sick. And that was just as Wuhan started to crop up as a place where something was going on. Pretty much everyone in the office got sick.
Oddly, when my father caught it from me, we assumed it was the flu, but he shook it off within a week, despite being 80 and a lifelong smoker. I got it the worst, despite being young and in good health and shape.
No one got tested of course…

3 Likes

I am encouraged by (& happy for) those here who have recovered.
Personally, just 1 friend my age (70 this year) who was hospitalized for 3wks back in March, seems completely symptom-free now.
But she lives surrounded with family & they, in turn, are in contact with others.

I am pretty much self-isolated on my farm, but was so before the pandemic.
I see the same small - less than 6 - group of friends infrequently.

Sadly my state is bright red & full of “it’s a hoax” mask-haters.
State mandates compliance, but left to themselves, Social Distance is ignored for the most part.
Even rising numbers of cases don’t make them rethink.

It gets harder every day to believe this will end soon. Or that things are not going to get worse before it does.
Not just the virus, but the effect on the economy, people’s way of life.
Makes me think of my parents who survived the Great Depression & hope I can do the same.

4 Likes

My 89 year old uncle was diagnosed with COVID. He was tested before undergoing a heart procedure. He has heart disease and asthma. He never had any symptoms. And has tested negative since.

It is scary how differently it hits people. For those who posted here that they think they had it but were never tested, will you get tested for the antibodies? Last I heard there are only two cases of people being reinfected, but of course who really knows exactly. But I think it would be good to know for sure. I am thinking of getting tested to see if I have the antibodies.

2 Likes

Glad to hear folks on here are taking this nasty virus seriously, and that y’all have good vaccine distribution, even tho’ some places are pretty open for biz. Up in Canada, we have been fortunate to have a federal gov’t who has been financially supportive with programs for ‘not getting evicted’/small biz/people who lost jobs. I’ve benefited from the monthly stipend; it’s not that much, but makes enough difference for many.

There are still big problems esp in Ontario with essential workers (bus drivers, drive thru restaurant workers, health care aides etc.); they are loooong overdue for having vax priority and paid sick days. Premier of province covidiot, sigh. Since Canada doesn’t produce any vacccines (former fed gov’t axed only lab in country), we are short on vaccines. People are crying from relief when they finally get one.

I have an older sister in a long term care home (at a young age) who got her 2 shots in early March, but only know one other friend over 70 who has her first shot. Luckily we are not in a hot spot like Toronto, but still got to be careful. A barn/riding friend who is a group home case worked caught covid from her correctional officer partner; she spent about 3 weeks in hospital, with about 2 weeks in ICU, and a week on a ventilator.

She is still very week, but just like a horse person…partner brought her out to see horse as soon as she could toddle. We were all really worried about her, so big relief! I live very close to our small city hospital, and ambulances and helicopters are coming and going re: transfer of patients from hot spots with no beds to not so hot spots.

Especially coming off the winter/snow routine, everyone is a bit cabin feverish (big lockdown on whole province now), but what can ya do. I feel so fortunate that I can go take care of my ponita at barn, and bicycle. Trip to groc store thrilling…but keep outta my space. Still anti lockdown rallies up here, ugh. Keep safe, peoples!

I’m curious where you live in ON that you know only one person over 70 who has had the first shot? Pretty much everyone I know over 50 has gotten it, with the 40+ group joining in droves every day. Here the 70+ crowd all got them weeks and weeks ago.

My best friend tested positive, thought she was getting better and then it hit her really hard too. Just because the first few days are manageable does not mean it’s over! Glad you are feeling better though

I never got tested for COVID but I did get tested for antibodies while giving blood. Luckily negative :slight_smile:

One of my clients had a very mild case of Covid this winter (lost ability to taste food), but now she has been hit with a mysterious case of lingering, severe vertigo, that they are beginning to think may be covid related. She is fortunately on medication which is helping quiet the nerves causing the vertigo, but they are still working on figuring out the cause and she has been unable to go to work for weeks. Not knowing if it is something “new” from Covid is disconcerting.

I’m in my 14th month of Long Covid. I’m improving at glacial speed but still have 10 or so daily symptoms with a few others that come along more infrequently. I last rode in September, I’m coming round to thinking a gentle hack might be do-able soon.

1 Like

I got sick around Thanksgiving 2020. Occasional cough, mild sore throat, stuffy nose for 5-6 days. Then I had a mild fever 101 on and off for 24 hours and sense of smell was reduced. But that often happens when I have congestion, so I didn’t worry. I fully recovered in about 12 days from start to finish. 2 months later I donated blood and they offered an antibody test, which I wanted. It turned out positive so that “cold” I had was actually Covid. So my case felt like a longer cold than usual, but symptoms were no biggie. I’m now fully vaccinated and looking forward to slowly doing more social stuff!

I’m relieved that everyone here, their families and friends are recovered or recovering. It’s encouraging to read posts from people who respect the science and the reality of 275,000 deaths. I was fearful for months - age 72 with an active case of asthma. I assumed I would die if I got it. The barn and my horse were my safe haven; plenty of room to avoid other people. When I walked out after my first shot I was so relieved, and the second shot gave me some confidence. I didn’t have side effects from Moderna other than some fatigue overnight after the #2.

I wrote off a very close friend who turned out to be an antivaxxer who has been sucked in by the conspiracy theory crowd. He continues to tout the autism link that was debunked years ago. He claims he has tested positive for antibodies but doesn’t recognize how they got into his body. He bombarded me with reams of emailed crap. I sent him a piece on the benefits of vaccines for horses. I told him I have yet to see a horse with autism. More crap arrived in my inbox. I consider him truly offensive and ignorant. He shows a lack of respect for those who have been afflicted with or died from Covid-19. My psychiatrist avoided hospitalization but her recovery took some time. I saw her before the pandemic emerged, thank god, no exposure.

I hope everyone will be safe and we see favorable declines in infections and deaths. I hope we can convince those around us to get the vaccine. I’m in Maine which has done much better than most other state. It’s very concerning to see so many states plagued by individuals who cavalierly politicize the pandemic and ignore the effects on everyone around them. I hope we are getting towards the end of it soon.

1 Like